What did you do in the garden today?

DIdn't clean. Didn't garden.

Neighbor got a topbar hive from his wife for Christmas, who got it off etsy. It didn't come with a roof or legs and he didn't even know where to start. I was trying to talk him through it over the phone, but finally said, I'll open up my woodshop if you can ignore my mess and we'll whip it out in no time. 2.5 hours later, he has legs and a nice barrel top steel roof that matches his new barn. I told him the staining is up to him.

At least we accomplished something today.
Sunny and 62. Bees were out. Several drowned in their sugar feeder. Ugh.
Saw they laid some eggs and had some larva in there, so that's a positive sign.

It's not a strong colony and the queen is gone, but we'll see if it bounces back.

DS has really taken to gardening this year. He is 3 years old. He is checking on ther growth of the seedlings regularly and gets excited when new sprouts come up. He helps water them by holding the hose on my spray canister (creates a fine spray to avoid damage seedlings). He also helped plant the seeds and put dirt in done of the starter cells. I can't wait to get things in the ground outside and see how excited he gets when he finds vegetables growing or digs up some potatoes. I already got him a new pair of muck boots for the garden. For Easter he'll be getting a mini wheelbarrow instead of basket. In addition to candy and some clothes, I'll get him his own garden utensils do he can help. He's always so excited to help with whatever I am doing.

Windy chilly cloudy day here . So I will share some tips today . You can produce a lot of seed for yourself if you need a lot . Some produce from the store - carrots and turnips have chilled enough to produce seed . Just a few plants will produce a lot of seed

So true! All of my lettuce, chives, scallions, mint, and celery have come from produce that I've bought at the store. Have tomato, squash and pepper seeds that I saved from grocery produce as well. Need to get my seed pads ready upstairs in the enclosed balcony. Like you, jerryse, very windy, chilly and cold today. Chickens wouldn't come out of the greenhouse. I don't blame them! Most of the day was spent cooking and helping hubby haul wood from one location to another. Have I said yet that I'm done with this weather? :old

DS has really taken to gardening this year. He is 3 years old. He is checking on ther growth of the seedlings regularly and gets excited when new sprouts come up. He helps water them by holding the hose on my spray canister (creates a fine spray to avoid damage seedlings). He also helped plant the seeds and put dirt in done of the starter cells. I can't wait to get things in the ground outside and see how excited he gets when he finds vegetables growing or digs up some potatoes. I already got him a new pair of muck boots for the garden. For Easter he'll be getting a mini wheelbarrow instead of basket. In addition to candy and some clothes, I'll get him his own garden utensils do he can help. He's always so excited to help with whatever I am doing.
You're an awesome papa! To this day, my daughter (11 yrs) loves helping out and just asked me today about buying a lemon tree so she can make her "sparkling H20" from scratch. She still loves digging up worms and anything else that can be dug up. And believe me...the chickens follow her around as they know she's a good worm digger!!! Keep the magic going...it will give you so many smiles throughout your journey with him :love

I'm so eggscited for you Karen! Do you know what breed that first one might be? I see the middle stripe and perhaps 'eye liner' (??) which always makes me think of araucana or ameraucana. Or who knows? I overthink things...
There are 2 roosters in with those girls, 1 of which is an EE. So he could be the Daddy. 😁
Or if it was an egg from the other coop, a couple of the hens are EE’s but I know it was a tan egg that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom