What did you do in the garden today?

I have a strong opinion about chickens needing to be locked up from about now until late summer, but only if one is attempting to garden. The farm I was at previously has way too many rampant free ranging goats and chickens to even attempt a garden! Been there, done that. But I have my own house with a yard now, and my garden is fenced this year as well! Getting serious with the vegetable and fruit growing.

As a side note, good tight fence with netting over the top as a cover works for gardening with free range chickens too.

I have a strong opinion about chickens needing to be locked up from about now until late summer, but only if one is attempting to garden. The farm I was at previously has way too many rampant free ranging goats and chickens to even attempt a garden! Been there, done that. But I have my own house with a yard now, and my garden is fenced this year as well! Getting serious with the vegetable and fruit growing.

As a side note, good tight fence with netting over the top as a cover works for gardening with free range chickens too.
Oh I hear you sister! Like singing to the choir lol. My garden used to be pretty cute and fruitful pre "them". Now it is 1/2 the size and in jail while they roam free! :th
20191217_071731.jpg

Aloha garden gang.
I loaded up my truck and went to town to make that one gal her garden. She and I had been on a hit and miss for a week or so. So, 3 big containers with some pretty awesome soil. I planted a cute start of lettuces, kales, tomatoes, green onions and a few misc greens. I hope she gets some joy and food from it.
DH started obsessing about the R-Com incubator that I was obsessing over lol and told me to call and buy it this morning... boy, DH has come a long chicken way! Normally he just complains about the poop on the steps. So, I called and got my dreamy R-com pro 20 this morning b4 leaving to garden. Probably do one more hatch with cool chicken dude then fly solo.

I sold a couple of older pullets the day before and the guy promptly lost one... granted they were raised by mom but really, he knew that going into it. All he needed to do was feed them for awhile and make friends. The chicks from crazy mama Rose follow me all day long now and they were the worst. Well, that made me think of @WthrLady and her story of selling her chicks... Today he called and wanted more... hmmm... bah ha ha ha :lau right?!!

K. got to get out and check the girls and water the yard and garden. It has been really hot and humid this last week here. Oh yuck, summer.... rhymes with bummer 😝
This is what happens when you plant a garden variety Potho house plant in Hawaii. View attachment 2165715
View attachment 2165702View attachment 2165706
It mutates and climbs. This one is probably 60' high that I could see. Cracks me up.
Oh, and cute chickies :love
View attachment 2165700
Love that pothos! I had 3 on a hutch in the entry to our house. They grew through the rails of the banister on our stairs.

I will!

All this hate for okra! - even from a Louisiana person! I love okra, pickled, deep-fried, and especially in gumbo. I admit, you have to develop a taste for it - as a kid I also hated the sliminess, but trying it in different dishes over the years has made me love it. To me, it's like a cross between asparagus and a small squash in usefulness and taste.
I have always loved okra, and I am from the Pacific Northwest. We’d get Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo soup and my favorite part was the okra. That’s the only way I had it until I was an adult and went to Texas for a wedding. I saw a sign on the side of the road saying fried okra and I made them stop so I could get some! Yum!

No vampire problem. Just boosting my share profits in breath fresheners! Lol
Clever!

========
Planted 35 of the 55 tomato plants last night as the sun set and ran out of fill soil and compost. I'll pick up some more this morning and finish planting and then mow.

I went to the village to help an older friend with computer problems. She runs a little shop. She sold me an old Hiawatha bike for $25. She needs washed and new tubes and chain and a can of spray paint, but just fine. I can toodle up and down the road to stretch my legs.

Then as long as I was in the village, I popped into the thrift store, which has been closed since march and just opened this past week. EVERYTHING in the basement was HALF price. I managed a new patio umbrella for $2.50, a bread slicer for $2, and Quart mason jars for 12.5 cents EACH! I only spent $18.00! LOL. I brought home a LOT of jars. Second dishwasher full is running now. Some are quite old. A couple I've never seen before. I get my jars from them every year. At 13 cents a jar I don't feel so bad if I give away canned food.

Dh was on board with selling first cut hay after we bring in the second cut hay we use. If we get in a third cutting we'll sell a portion of that as well.

Forgot. Joined the local BuyFresh, Buy Local program run by the university. It puts local ranchers and farmers on an interactive map so that people can buy direct and skip the farmer's markets that aren't really happening this year. On the site we list what we have and thenpeople can call ahead to pick up. Crossing fingers.

I have always loved okra, and I am from the Pacific Northwest. We’d get Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo soup and my favorite part was the okra. That’s the only way I had it until I was an adult and went to Texas for a wedding. I saw a sign on the side of the road saying fried okra and I made them stop so I could get some! Yum!
I like fried okra too, if I’m at a restaurant that has it on the menu there’s a good chance I’m ordering it. My mother and grandmother also cooked a mixture of tomatoes, okra, and onions that was really good too.

Good morning gardeners. I'm nearly finished the baby chicken coop. I need to install the back window then close the front in. I cut one of the pieces of corrugated roofing that I got for the run and used it for the roof of the little coop. I don't know what's going on with Lowes but their website was really wonky yesterday and so was their phone system. It won't let me cancel the roof I ordered. Big PIA. The run should not take as long. I picked up the additional lumber and hinges yesterday afternoon. I did manage to get in the garden for a little bit yesterday. I picked the last 3 radishes, thinned the carrots out a bit and did a little weeding. I also mounded some dirt on my potato plants, however I need more dirt to cover it. I have some chopped straw I think would be OK and then throw more dirt on top of that. My clematis is blooming now. Very pretty. I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates okra. Thank you @Franklinridgefarms, @Sequel and the rest. If done well, it has it's place. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the gumbo @Sueby. But if you don't like seafood, then a seafood gumbo is probably not a good dinner choice. I spent some time in both Mississippi and Louisiana during the Katrina recovery. I was in Diamondhead, MS in mid September through October 2005 and again in Slidell, LA mid June to mid July 2006 with the Corps of Engineers attached to FEMA. There wasn't much in the way of fine dining available in September and October. I was happy to have a small grocery store open to get frozen dinners. There were a few food "venues" open and when in Louisiana I learned really quick that the locals prided themselves on a lot of heat with their spices and heavy on the mayonnaise on sandwiches. I did enjoy the fresh muffaletta sandwiches. And I still drink French Market coffee everyday. Finally a break from the heat and I think the garden is responding, but the grass is growing again, WAH! Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom