What did you do in the garden today?

No kidding. this heat is just crappy. I lost my lovely rooster the other day. He had a almost fatal stroke at night (I had to put him down :hit) he had stressed a some three days prior. I was pulling out all my stops to keep him cool ad well and he did seem almost recovered by bedtime that eve. Had a vet appointment for him... I let him roost with the girls not knowing what the next day would bring. Roosters like him seem far and few and I will miss him very much. I'm hoping that i can duplicate him from one of my hatches. Wouldn't that be wonderful... then move somewhere cool lol.
Any ways, back to the heat/hell. Not a fan at all... grateful for a good trade wind blowing today. With climate change they say our trades have cute down 40% since the 80's. Sure feels about right. That changes a lot for us Westsiders.
Awe no, I'm so sorry you lost a good roo :hugs I had the most awesome boy ever too once, so miss that guy. I hope you get another good boy from your hatches.

We call those Ohia Ali'i here ;) 🤙. Gorgeous small tree/shrub fantastic light feathery pennate leaves. Lovely as a specimen or in group plantings. Beautiful :drool
Bet @AllenK RGV has them floating around his hood too.
Oh yeah bird of paradise is common here for anyone willing to pay for the water to run their sprinkler systems. I'm not willing so do not have any.

I paid this months bills in the garden today:p Still have not made the monthly feed run, however, I have two animals who need vetting in town in the AM so will get that done then.

Just feels like your skin is burning. Nothing too crazy
So glad it wasn't one of our wooly asp ones, those are supposed to give you a horrible 1-2 day ride for the pain.
https://www.newsweek.com/asp-caterpillar-texas-hospital-megalopyge-opercularis-1458245

Yup bigger and "Arguably" better in Texas. I'd prefer not to have to worry over them though. Should I ever find a host plant trust me it will be burnt to the ground and the ground salted. I would even consider DDT/Agent Orange as options to sterilize the earth.

Late Edit-NM I'm not willing to kill off the citrus so guess I have to be more vigilant in the future, and pray for a chicken to save me. No elm or oak trees in my area otherwise. Also, I have 0 plans to add oaks to the property now.

Last edited:
Aloha gardeners, Happy aloha Sunday!
84 degrees w/ 59% humidity, we have some breeze though.
I yanked out all but 1 of my Heilani tomatoes, it still has a bit of fruit close to harvest left on it that I did not want to part with. I lost under a dozen toms taking out the others but I'm ok because I have more than a few Cherry tom plants close to having some harvest. My new Heilani starts are ready for planting so I will condition the soil after my girls dig some more and I will grudgingly plant again. I know that they will more than likely be stressed plants that will get buggy and diseased in the heat and lack of soil rest... but hey, these are trying times. I want to see how long I can do year round with out paying too much of a price. Is it winter yet???!!! :hit

Got some nice farmed shrimp from one of the people who bought eggs and now chicks from me. Made kabobs on the BBQ last eve and this morning added to our Sunday surprise omelet. Super ono. Spent some quality time with a couple of my pullets looking for bugs as I pulled weeds. That just never gets old as long as you are not serious... Gave the garden a drink early this morning, cleaned coops and now watering the lawn.

Stay well all!!

Awe no, I'm so sorry you lost a good roo :hugs I had the most awesome boy ever too once, so miss that guy. I hope you get another good boy from your hatches.
Looks like my future chicken farm rests on this guys young shoulders for a little while. I think Kea will be a good boy, so far not bad as a teen. The hens, who he is mating already now that Bruce is gone :rolleyes: chase him after the deed lol. But he is pretty sneaky. I have hopefully scared away the young wild rooster who was thinking he was gunna be the big guy in charge and since his departure, leaving a few feathers as he left (2 days but maybe 20 years in chicken) Kea has been hanging around in the spotlight more. Good, I do like him, maybe soon it will be love.
20200525_152535.jpg

Looks like my future chicken farm rests on this guys young shoulders for a little while. I think Kea will be a good boy, so far not bad as a teen. The hens, who he is mating already now that Bruce is gone :rolleyes: chase him after the deed lol. But he is pretty sneaky. I have hopefully scared away the young wild rooster who was thinking he was gunna be the big guy in charge and since his departure, leaving a few feathers as he left (2 days but maybe 20 years in chicken) Kea has been hanging around in the spotlight more. Good, I do like him, maybe soon it will be love.View attachment 2170948
He's a handsome guy! All my white and black boys were fully feathered so I didn't keep any of them. I have this guy right now, so far so good. He's close to six months, Angus and the hen is Lucy
20200531_183718(1).jpg

He's a handsome guy! All my white and black boys were fully feathered so I didn't keep any of them. I have this guy right now, so far so good. He's close to six months, Angus and the hen is Lucy
View attachment 2171008
So handsome!!! :love Do naked necks stay cooler for you than your other breeds? It must be a huge challenge keeping them cool too... I used to live in the desert... it's not for sissy's.

I was a little surprised Bruce had gotten so stressed, he really hid it well. I had to think back on his behavior for it to actually sink in that it was heat stress showing up late. Well, not the first time I have been surprised by heat stress... in a bad way.

Back
Top Bottom