What did you do in the garden today?

Aloha gardeners,
Got out early and watered, cleaned coops, cleaned containers and fill chicken holes. Hanging at home (again) today. It is hot and humid this afternoon... so hot and humid I put on a clay mask and it started dripping off my face, nice visual lol. So, I'm hanging in front of the fan getting it to dry, L O V E L Y. 84 degrees w/ 60% humidity, feels like a sauna out there.

News was shocking as all sh*t as usual... hope this insanity ends soon... thinking/hoping November lol What a fools show... 🤡 💩

USPS says my incubator is coming in this eve, so i'll pick up tomorrow hopefully. :yaWas going to cancel taking my eggs to Wailua because it came in so soon, but I don't trust USPS anymore, seems it has gone haywire the last few years. So, now thinking what the heck, i'll go and enjoy taking eggs and picking up in 21 days just 1 last time. Pick up some feed and TP if I can find. My favorite TP is still out... yes, I have a favorite TP! :p
This eve the last person is coming to pick up her 2 chicks that I have been holding. That is bringing my personal chick count down to 12... not bad. So hanging and waiting for her.
Sold two more pullets this morning, it almost feels empty 17 + 12 = 39. Almost empty.
K. kids, stay in, stay safe and garden! Be well.

Last edited:
First one hatched!! A little EE mix. Awww...

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.25.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.26.14 PM.png

Now a couple of more are chirping in their eggs!

Good evening all, got a hanging feeder at the feed store and got it mounted in the run. Hopefully less wasted feed. I know I saved some feed cuz it took them a while to work up the nerve to go near it. :) Banded one of the amber links cuz the two of them were about identical. So now Queenie is a greenie. And since the feed store is just past the nursery, we had to stop and help out a local business. Amongst other things, I got a tray pack of those dark red snapdragons, the ones that even the foliage is dark green, tinged with red. I love those, just like they looked when I was a kid.

@Acre4Me OMG babies!!!

Dried and sprinkled? In ground?
I was wondering this too. 'Course you can't have too much rosemary.

Lemon cuttings and my lemon tree. Really getting a good going

Attachments

• 72275E2B-D994-44C4-8614-962DB05BC5ED.jpeg
    72275E2B-D994-44C4-8614-962DB05BC5ED.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 734920F9-6783-4D87-A1B7-63B93602D6F8.jpeg
    734920F9-6783-4D87-A1B7-63B93602D6F8.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 3
  • D333B018-D7A7-4876-9727-77E7255A762C.jpeg
    D333B018-D7A7-4876-9727-77E7255A762C.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 2
  • B5EB2230-2229-4A91-AA18-703A0D5A22C5.jpeg
    B5EB2230-2229-4A91-AA18-703A0D5A22C5.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 7210EE0A-6BCD-47FE-83A2-8B414FA3D26B.jpeg
    7210EE0A-6BCD-47FE-83A2-8B414FA3D26B.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6C2548E6-98EB-4C17-8331-EC0B41EF12A2.jpeg
    6C2548E6-98EB-4C17-8331-EC0B41EF12A2.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 2
Went and shoveled up 2 more van loads of manure. Dropped one load off at a friend's house, next to their garden. We left it for them to move where the wanted it. Yes, I called ahead and asked if they would like me to drop some off for them.
They have such a big garden area that what we dropped off looks like practically nothing next to it! :lau
We took the 2nd load home and it was a smaller load since I really didn't need too much. I did put a wagon load in the raised bed around the things I have planted. Noticed that some of the corn is starting to poke through the surface too! I tossed some of the extra manure around the apple and peach trees. Not sure if it is good for them or not, but am hoping it is good. I did keep it away from the bark of the trees and spread it around on the ground under where the branches hang over. I also tossed some into the in the ground garden. I have a wagon load and another wagon load worth on a tarp. I had to head inside because it was time for game night. I'll get back out there tomorrow and spread it out in the garden. I am thinking of putting some in the chicken run too. I know the chickens would enjoy eating the bugs and sprouting things in the manure!
Question for you all. When you add dirt or whatever to mound up your potato plants do you cover the foliage or make sure it still sticks out? Or does it even matter?

Tomorrow I need to plant the replacement Elderberry tree, cut the grass and spread the rest of the manure out.
Our weather has been in the 80's the past 3 days! Wednesday the high is supposed to be 91, tomorrow 89, rain on Thursday (and 84) then 85 or higher the next 6 days. I think summer is here for Missouri.

Good morning gardeners. Woke up to 39F this morning. Good grief! I checked on the littles out in the big coop and they were fine. I got the them settled into the brooder pen inside the big coop yesterday. The hens were fine and the rooster crowed non stop for 5 minutes I guess to welcome them. But after I threw the big ones a handful of scratch they forgot all about the littles. I got the garden weeded and the pathways between the raised beds weed whacked. I planted my pole beans, the replacement cucumbers and a tomato plant. Then I watered everything. Not a bad days work. Today is grass mowing day and a little weed whacking in the front yard. As for the rosemary: I used dried rosemary. Some ants snuck into the house two years ago and I just reached for the jar of rosemary and sprinkled it around them and they disappeared, except for the few whom took a direct hit and just died. I know I've mentioned this before, I don't like to use chemicals. Rosemary, like many herbs are known to repel insects. Although @FortCluck planting it in the ground may not be such a good idea since it is a tropical type plant that will not overwinter in areas that freeze. I keep my rosemary plants in pots and bring them in for the cold months. How exciting @Acre4Me. New "homegrown" babies. You will be my go to person to lean on when I'm ready to start my own incubating adventure. There is no shame in having a favorite TP @TropicalBabies. I grabbed what was available during the hoarding frenzy, but on a recent trip to my regular grocery store they finally had my favorite TP in stock. I bought one package just because. I didn't need any, but I missed my regular stuff. It's nice TP, septic tank safe and made with recycled paper. The weather forcasters are telling us to expect rain this evening, I think I will water the flower bed in the front yard anyway. Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom