What did you do in the garden today?

That is why we chose to garden in tires losts less weeding been busy this morning made Italian meatballs and banana bread had the Son weedeating between the tires get all the long crap out of there
005.jpg
006.jpg

No peach blossoms this year...:idunno I was hoping this was the year. I transplanted the tree in 2018. I actually began to fruit in the pot I bought it in from Walmart. But the fruit shriveled up and died while still tiny. Then I transplanted it and it's at least tripled its foliage since then. It gets plenty of sun and we get winter weather that puts it through the necessary cold period each year. I haven't fertilized it because it's very close to the chicken run and I figure it gets plenty of nutrients from the chicken run that gets washed down into the soil by rain. I haven't pruned it much so far either as I was letting it grow a bit before beginning to attempt to shape it.
I guess I just hold out hope for next year. I would like to be proactive with it this year if possible though. Anybody have ideas to get a peach tree to blossom and fruit?
I had four peach trees at one time and the produced fruit in their third year. Best peaches I ever ate. The next year we had a late frost and after that the trees started declining. I think I am a little to far north for peaches, but man they are good.

Went and shoveled up 2 more van loads of manure. Dropped one load off at a friend's house, next to their garden. We left it for them to move where the wanted it. Yes, I called ahead and asked if they would like me to drop some off for them.
You have my permission to bring me a load or two of manure, my last load is long gone.
Question for you all. When you add dirt or whatever to mound up your potato plants do you cover the foliage or make sure it still sticks out? Or does it even matter?
Potatoes is really DP's thing but as I recall she'd add just enough soil to just cover the tips of the leaves.
There is no shame in having a favorite TP @TropicalBabies. I grabbed what was available during the hoarding frenzy,
I hear you and if I see my brand available again I will buy it.
Oh yea, I meant to mention that 39 degrees - there was frost in the hills in CT yesterday morning. WTH?? It's JUNE!!
It's been getting down to 41 and 42 here most nights. Making me nuts.
At least the garden is self watering right now, but the chicken are getting to the point I need to issue them machetes I was able to mow some paths for them and us 2 days ago.
DO NOT give those little predators a weapon, are you mad???
Last post I robbed @NewBoots style. Thanks for that NB. Makes good sense and helpful with responses to collect and reply ;)
Don't tell anyone but I stole it from someone else and with my memory I haven't a clue who!

We're having a couple of friends over tomorrow morning for a garden get together and instead of tidying the garden we went dirt, manure, and plant shopping. :p Oh well, I might have enough dirt now. Only kidding, of course I don't have enough. Tomorrow morning we'll have bacon wrapped muffin quiches but now I want meatballs, thanks @penny1960! :)

24 viable eggs went into lockdown. 21 have hatched. One is almost hatched. 2 haven't pipped (internally or externally), but we candled them and we think we saw movement. So, leaving the wet littles in the incubator for the night. We've put the dried babies in the brooder with heat plate. Tomorrow morning we will hopefully find the last 3 chicks out or nearly so.

Watered the garden and Burpee notified me that my seeds shipped. Seeds are Turnips and a pole bean (for dried beans).

I put some gourd seeds into starter pots. Hopefully they sprout. The gourd seeds have all been really large!

I did not see any blossoms on any of my 3 peach trees this year either, but when I was checking them out a few days ago, I saw 2 or 3 small peaches on 2 of the trees! So I must just have missed the blossoms. I only saw a few blossoms on 1 of the apple trees too, but have not seen any apples on it. Last year was the same, no apples, no peaches.
Now I feel like I should go back out and scoop up the manure I put around 2 of the 3 apple trees and 2 of the 3 peach trees! I was hoping it would help the overall health of the trees and that in turn would result in some blossoms/fruit, but now it sounds like the opposite is true. :th
I got the grass cut, the replacement Elderberry planted, 4 invasive honeysuckle bushes/trees dug up and some more of the manure spread out. I think I am going to dump the last wagon load into the chicken run for them to scratch through. Oh, and I watered all the gardens too.
Some of the corn is sprouting but no sign of the carrots yet.

@AllenK RGV , Your palm may look fairly similar, as many fan palms do. The Romota is a rare palm, even is/was an endangered species... though the botanical gardens have worked hard to recover seeds, propagate and promote the species. From the Islands of Nihoa and Kauai. Hawaii has like 19 varieties of Pritchardia aka Loulu palm. Let me know if you want some seeds when I can.
Stock photos from Google
1591161859051.png

Back
Top Bottom