What did you do in the garden today?

Aloha and happy pre 4th weekend all!
Everything is much of the same here. Hot and humid and almost at the hide in the house part of summer. We will probably go up to the cabin tomorrow night though don't know for sure. The big fireworks shebang that Kekaha hosts at the park is canceled (thank goodness) so the noise level will not be completely insane except for the fact that personal fireworks were still sold. I'm pretty sure some of my neighbors would purchase fireworks b4 paying their electric or feeding their kids. That sounds harsh but don't judge me till you have been in Kekaha for New Years or the 4th. It is enough to send a body to the moon.

On an awesome note- my FIL's book is finally getting published by the Kauai Historical Society. It has been a very slow and and sometimes disorganized process but yesterday they sent us the final draft that is off to the printers. Most exciting!
I parted with 2 more of my babies yesterday and now have the reality of making hard bird choices. We finished the Hawaiian style mini coop for our friend so I have to put 4 of my 1 month olds in it and deliver it to him probably this morning. This is where it gets hard for me:hitthey are so cute and fun and I absolutely enjoy them together and individually. I do not have the same roo and will not be able to duplicate them either.... deep breath... I gotta make the cuts and hope they have an awesome life.

No exciting garden reports or photos but I did bump my head on an orange and snacked on carrots yesterday. :lol:

OK all, I hope you all safely enjoy your holiday weekend. Have fun, stay well!!! 😷🤙

@Acre4Me, those tomato pics are awesome! Did you pinch or prune your plants at all or just let them go? I had good intentions and I did set up fencing and tied up some (got to tie more today, need more stakes) but did almost no pruning.

@Wee Farmer Sarah, just love progress pics and our rabbits and chickens would love to have your clover trimmings!

@Kelly Owl, welcome to the board and welcome to the garden thread! Pics please, we loves the pics! And since I have largely sandy and rocky native soil here, I'm intrigued, let us know roughly where you are in the world. It gives context to pictures you may post.

No exciting garden reports or photos but I did bump my head on an orange and snacked on carrots yesterday. :lol:
LOL and grats on your FIL's publication! And yeah they canceled the fireworks for here in town too but the neighbors will carry the torch by making as much banging as they can. Our poor outside cats hate it, but we let them hide in the barn/garage. Our dogs don't care at all since they are both deaf as posts. Sorry about those hard decisions, tough since that roo isn't available now. And your babies are always so cute!

Okay, has anyone ever heard of Dog-Vomit Fungus? Yes it exists and I get it. Disgusting stuff related to slime molds and they say to throw it in the trash, don't compost it.
Fungus.jpg

It's huge and appears out of nowhere overnight. This one (our third) is about 16" long. They say don't let it "bloom" or you'll have lots and lots more. :sick yay.

Aloha and welcome to the garden thread @Kelly Owl ,
Lets us know where you are from by putting it on your profile, also, photos are awesome too. Kind of helps us all out as we are all a work in progress, love seeing what others are doing and how we can all overcome and improve our own personal conditions. Plus, here we love a "show off" and all aspire to be one (depending on the season of course lol)!
Hello to all and thank you for accepting me to the site!. I live in Northern Ontario Canada..small little town called Massey. My husband and I live on 3.5 acres..about 2.5 are cleared and the surrounding is bush. Im very new to being a chicken mama..but I have had gardens..both big and small from a very young age. My current garden is approx 24'x40' and lol wow the weeding involved..we grow red potatoes..carrots..green and yellow beans..garlic..onions..peas..beats..tomatoes..lettuce..green and red sweet peppers and cucumbers..also through out the yard I have sprinkled..clamatis..peionies..triliums..lilies..wild roses..wild flowers..daisies..phlox..ferns..royal gala apple trees..blueberries..strawberries..grapes..raspberries and black berries. We have no children of our own but are proud godparents to 6 beautiful girls and 8 out going young men. Our family consists of..hubby Jim..me Kelly big sister (sheppard X dog) Kalista..baby brother dog Aundek..brother cats Tux and Storm..new mama and siblings to (was) 8 Austrlorp hens..down to 7 now..1 VERY MEAN Australorp rooster and 2 very sweet and lovely Showgirl Skies. I have many questions and lol hope I do not wear out my welcome with them.
Thank you for all your upcomming advise

@Acre4Me, those tomato pics are awesome! Did you pinch or prune your plants at all or just let them go? I had good intentions and I did set up fencing and tied up some (got to tie more today, need more stakes) but did almost no pruning.

@Wee Farmer Sarah, just love progress pics and our rabbits and chickens would love to have your clover trimmings!

@Kelly Owl, welcome to the board and welcome to the garden thread! Pics please, we loves the pics! And since I have largely sandy and rocky native soil here, I'm intrigued, let us know roughly where you are in the world. It gives context to pictures you may post.

LOL and grats on your FIL's publication! And yeah they canceled the fireworks for here in town too but the neighbors will carry the torch by making as much banging as they can. Our poor outside cats hate it, but we let them hide in the barn/garage. Our dogs don't care at all since they are both deaf as posts. Sorry about those hard decisions, tough since that roo isn't available now. And your babies are always so cute!

Okay, has anyone ever heard of Dog-Vomit Fungus? Yes it exists and I get it. Disgusting stuff related to slime molds and they say to throw it in the trash, don't compost it.
View attachment 2225312

It's huge and appears out of nowhere overnight. This one (our third) is about 16" long. They say don't let it "bloom" or you'll have lots and lots more. :sick yay.

Never heard of it just local there ?

Here are the baby chicks. FWIW, none of my chickens are golden! (Yes, I have BO, but they aren't laying yet, so they don't count!). Mixed breed are interesting!
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.50.55 PM.png

EE have been the first pullets to lay! Always fun to see the tiny sizes at first!
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.41.00 PM.png

My red potatoes are magenta! The ruler in the background is what stays in my kitchen and the potatoes match! Just picked this afternoon!
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.52.33 PM.png

A BABY WATERMELON!!!
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.51.21 PM.png

Another Baby watermelon (different type)
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.51.46 PM.png

Baby Athena musk melon - hopefully it got fertilized. I'll admit to hand pollinating yesterday.
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.51.34 PM.png

Baby Red Bell - I think its pretty fun how it looks just like a bell, but so tiny.
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.52.07 PM.png

@NewBoots - I trim the lower leaves so there is good airflow underneath. I might trim a few other leaves here and there, but really depends. Don't trim much on a Determinate plant though. Most of mine are Indeterminate.
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.52.20 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom