What did you do in the garden today?

Not much going on here today, busy busy at work. Still fighting the endless fight on the japanese & mexican beetles.
When I had a huge June etc. beetle problem with the Palm stock at the nursery. I needed them to look perfect and the beetles used to chew the heck out of the leaves- we used to rent plants out to Hollywood for movies (yes, you may have seen some of my babies in the Jurassic Parks, 6 days 7 nights... etc.) or use them as interior/exterior for some pretty upscale places and I needed them pretty. I used a heavier dose of liquid Sevin. I liked it because I did not need a sticker and it killed the beetles dead, dead, dead. So, I was able to weather the seasonal infestations at the large nursery. Yes it leaves the leaf a little hazy but that has been the best (cheapest, most simple too!) that I have found. I know we are different places/zones and these are different plants but it may be worth a try. Just don't let the girls eat spoils dead on the ground, though I believe Sevin to be a lesser toxic products on the market last I checked.

Last edited:
Morning all!
A little bit of catch up office work this morning, cleaning coops and rinsing out poopy chick towels this morning so I can wash. Such an ordeal but I prefer using old towels for the littles. I and actually going to start sanding the railings on the back deck FINALLY in a few... right.
Warm and humid... again. Chicks are all out playing as is almost a regular thing now. Good transitioning for all, I am proud and impressed.
Only watering today for the garden. Enjoyed a mango, banana and kale smoothie yesterday and a 1/2 papaya on toast this am (as is my norm) everything tasting super yummy. I have 3 peppers and 3 lettuce to harvest as weather wise things should be getting dryer and hotter from here on out. Gunna yank while the getting is good. AND, I actually got a handful of tomatoes after finally catching neighbor in the act again and TELLING her to not pick them any more. I was not mean but not so nice either. Well, she seems to have gotten 90% of the harvest but it was nice to see some color on my tom for the 1st time.
K. gotta get. Stay well, safe and dirty folks!!

I watered my Garden, then it rained! after a week of expecting rain and not getting it. The Cucumbers were placed up their climbing wall for better spacing. I received 25 Paw Paw tree seeds in the mail, added chicken compost (It also had horse manure composted in) to 25 small pots and placed the already stratified seeds into the pots. Rain came just in time to make sure that the compost was sufficiently wet. I have one paw paw tree who is lonely, a lonely paw paw makes no fruit. I doubt I even live here when both trees are mature but I figure I better get a partner for this tree anyways. With 25 I might sell some but any neighbors wanting one will get free trees since they will be in pollination range.

Didn't get much done in the garden today but me and grandma got the boys to help cut up the wax beans we picked yesterday and we got 20 pints canned . Grandma had the 7 year old help head and tail the beans , me and the 11 year old cut them up , and the 6 year old carried beans to be washed and cut , it was quite a production :)

garden 8.jpg

garden 9.jpg

We'll pick again in the morning , should be another 8-10 pints worth .

12 pullets are just shy of 20 weeks old. 2 of the EE have begun to lay this past week. Then today....Surprise! 4 tiny first eggs! One from an EE and then 2 from the Welsummers, and 1 from either the BO or the LB. So, that is nice to see!

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.25.50 PM.png

We have a RED tomato !!! We are waiting to pick it for another day or two - the ones on same bunch are not yet ready.

Cabbage getting eaten by the something, need to spray. Something is digging small shallow holes in the mulch around the raised beds - so I moved the trail camera to see if I could catch it.

Hot and muggy, But I'll take it bc It helps to remember when the temps go down to -18F and high winds in winter.

My thoughts exactly! We use the permethrin on our clothes when we go wheeling in the woods for ticks & skeeters - I'd be all over that 2 cans a day! Especially not having to mix it up in a sprayer!

@igorsMistress Nope, way too hot!! Ugh.

Not much going on here today, busy busy at work. Still fighting the endless fight on the japanese & mexican beetles. The chickens are getting all the lettuce that bolted, they definitely love the endive the best. They wanted nothing to do with the beetles I dumped, ungrateful little witches. :gig

Cool & cloudy today, back to hot & humid tomorrow & for the foreseeable future I think. Great.

Have a good one all!
We have a different selection to choose from depending on what products are being run in the factory that week. This was the first time in the 5 months that I have worked there that they had those 2 products available. And yes, I was all over them!
Sorry to hear that your chickens don't like the Japanese beetles. My chickens gobble them up!

Back
Top Bottom