What did you do in the garden today?

Aloha garden gang,
If only you folks could bottle some of these warm days and then open them mid winter ;). Thank goodness for freezer doors and ice cubes!!!
Us guys will be in the 90's all week w/ 60% or higher humidity. We have some clouds and sprinkles spilling over the mountains right now and that is awesome/helpful. Garden is hanging despite the shade and watering and I don't blame it, it is warm. I do have a few surprise eggplants despite the heat and hang. The papaya's and banana's I planted a few weeks ago are doing very well. Plan to yank what is left of my garden this week and start amending the garden box soil this next month. Come on fall!!!! I am pleasantly surprised that my chickens are all doing ok with the heat so far, such troopers :love They love the water I run under the trees for them in the afternoons and the bugs that that scares up. Good girls and boys.

I took the dog for a nice walk down the beach this morning. I watered the lawn and washed the trucks inside and out earlier, my plan is to wax MY truck ;) as soon as threat of sprinkles passes then find a good movie and nap/pass out from the heat. I have been getting some good headaches this last week. Maybe heat, maybe need neck stretches, maybe need to cut my hair, probably all the above :p .
I have some of our nice fruit in the freezer and enough kale to make an awesome smoothie b4 i head out.
20200801_064144.jpg
IMG_20180908_101351931_HDR.jpg

I leave you with a cute picture of handsome Cisco and 2nd to the last hatch of my babies. Have an awesome day all, stay safe and well.

Watered, weeded, picked another zucchini a couple of carrots, blueberries, raspberries and a few cherry tomatoes. The Early Girl tomatoes are still solid green in spite of our hot weather lately. Guess they're not so early after all. Also finished getting the dry (been piled under a plastic sheet for nearly a year) firewood into the shed...took a couple of hours but feels good to have that task done!
:D

'll
Poor kid, is he upset? Thankfully my mom voluntarily gave up driving & they traded both their cars in for just 1. Such a relief knowing we don't have to fight that fight trying to take it away.
Here's fine since he can blame it on his instrument panel LOL. The mom's aren't that bad. Mine is too cautious and his isn't quite cautious enough. Neither are bad enough to hide keys from.

Sorry he didn’t get it this time!

my youngest has already crashed the car, at age 12:rolleyes:.....in our driveway. Dad said “here, back up the van into the parking spot”. This was at our home, In front of the barn (behind our house). The van needed to be backed up, while turning, into the spot. So, too much gas, and not quite a tight enough turn and kid knocked out the old basketball pole, and crushed (yes...crushed) theCAST IRON fire pit. So, kid has been informed that theyalready took their free pass with that one, and cannot crash the car when they get their License. Of course, we get the eye roll when we mention this incident.

good luck in his next test.
My husband decided to take his girlfriend out in his dad's Jaguar when he was 3. Rolled it onto a tree across the street!😂

@Sooner Magnolia here is the Carrot Cake Jam recipe I used:

2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded peeled pear
1 20 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple ( In pineapple juice)
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 package powdered pectin ( I use the low sugar variety)
4 cups sugar ( I used 1 1/2 cups sugar)
2 cups packed brown sugar ( I used 1 cup packed brown sugar)
1/4 cup flaked coconut and/or raisins (optional) I made 1 batch with both and 1 batch with neither
1 tsp vanilla
In a large (4-6 qt) heavy pot combine the carrots, pears, pineapple with the juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Simmer covered for 20 minutes stirring frequently (until pears are soft). Sprinkle pectin over mixture and stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add both sugars. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat. Skim off foam (mine didn't have any). Stir in coconut and/or raisins, if using. Stir in vanilla.
Ladle into hot, sterile jars. remove air bubbles. Wipe rims and center hot lids. Screw on rings finger tight. Water bath for 10 minutes.
Thanks! Sounds very intriguing and yummy!

Wasn't feeling good today so I didn't make it out to the garden today or get anything done that I had planned. 😞
Oh well, tomorrow is a new day, new opportunities!
Hope you're feeling better today. :hugs
Then, I need to decide if I’m going to try to grow a new batch of cucumbers, small ones for pickling. there is at least 70 days before first frost, so I might have success in getting proper small cukes for pickles.
I quit resisting and just ran to the store and got some pickling cucumber seeds. Put them in the open raised bed and watered them in thoroughly. I suppose standing there staring at the dirt won't speed them up much.
So everything's tied down or put in the shed. Tomatoes are tied up good (hopefully). The chickens feeds have all been moved inside.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and everyone else in the path.
maybe need to cut my hair,
That made me LOL. Fortunately I keep a very short cut so my DP just buzz cuts mine when it gets shaggy again.
The Early Girl tomatoes are still solid green in spite of our hot weather lately. Guess they're not so early after all.
Going to try early girls next year myself, and welcome to the thread.

Watered and saw to the critters this morning, pulled up the last of the red beets and they're on the stove now precooking for canning.
Beets for Canning.jpg

Beets.jpg

Next plan is to take all trout out of the freezer and get it all canned. I need to be ready for the tomatoes. And speaking of tomatoes, I've got a dryer coming in the mail shortly.

It's supposed to rain here on Thursday so we're planning on going fishing tomorrow but it's getting overcast now and the sky is a little on the yellow side. The clouds are too light to actually rain to any real degree but it gives me hope.

Watered, tied up tomatoes, pulled bolted lettuce and tiny carrots to prepare to plant some fall stuff in the straw bale garden. Made the kids bathe the dogs. Still whitewashing the other coop walls before putting them up. It has been nice here the past couple of days. I'm sitting outside catching up on posts right now. Someone across my pasture is having an 80's music marathon. Haven't heard Robert Palmer in a long time..... probably a good thing! Getting a strange urge to go to the roller rink right about now.

Back
Top Bottom