What did you do in the garden today?

I am sitting here blinking...I've been fretting about getting my shallot and garlic sets and it never occurred to me to order them through amazon. :th
I got my garlic from southern exposure seed exchange, never used them before and I ordered it in April I think. Amazon is good for a lot of stuff I haven’t been able to find in the stores though!

Good morning gardeners. We actually got a little rain overnight. Not enough to penetrate the tree canopies. But the air is a bit humid and less dusty. The heavy rains are supposed to come Tuesday evening into Wednesday. I got my BES and the tulip bulbs planted yesterday. I also started filling in the big dip in the yard. After the rain settles it I'll add some more dirt then plant grass seed. I still have a lot of dirt in my driveway. I'm planning on using a lot of it to freshen the dirt in the chicken runs. Love the leeks @NewBoots. The first year I planted them they did ok. They weren't huge, but ok and had good flavor. I tried them in the new bed that got less direct sunlight and they didn't do well at all. Maybe they didn't like being close to potatoes. Something to ponder over winter. Not much else going on in the garden. The leaves are coloring up nicely. I've noticed that the acorns are heavier and more ripe this year. Last year it was a carpet of green acorns everywhere. I'm thinking we might see some decent snow this winter. I don't mind shoveling and I'll take snow over ice storms anyday. Have a great day everyone.

I looked for shallot sets on Amazon just yesterday & decided to buy from a nursery instead, they weren't any cheaper on Amazon & the reviews weren't that great. But, I have ordered seeds from Amazon. Along with the shallot sets I ordered hairy vetch to try a cover crop in some of the beds. This will be my first experiment with a cover crop in the garden.

@NewBoots the leeks are beautiful! Can you give me a quick overview of how you make your compost tea?

A neighbor brought over a ton of hot cherry peppers he grew for DH so I have some marinating in vinegar that will be stuffed with provolone & prosciutto & then marinated again in oil. Then I have 1 jar fermenting in a brine for a hot sauce. :idunno
IMG_20200928_084418935.jpg

I was sitting out on the deck yesterday & noticed that the trees are turning. I rarely leave the property these days so I hadn't noticed!
IMG_20200927_154602475_HDR.jpg

The ones here are more ripe than plain green like last year. They don't seem much bigger but they are heavier. When they hit the metal roof on the chicken run it's really loud. So I'm thinking Mother Nature is producing food for the squirrels and chipmunks for the winter. I've also noticed a heavier "crop" of pine cones. Need to put the snowblower preps on my to do list!

Morning all. Woke up to a cow in the orchard. ARGH. 10 am and I am just now sitting down to breakfast and coffee. I had to get her back into the field next door. I have NO idea where they are getting out. This is the second one in a week.

Farmer that owns them came by yesterday to check his fencer box. He fiddled with it and eventually unplugged it and plugged in my barn vent fan by mistake. He swears up and down he didn't, but my vent fan is put up and away on a shelf for the winter, why would I plug it in? I think he got confused with all the plugs in the barn circuit. So when he left his fence was off and the cows were eating through the fence to the nice grass. I replugged him so the fence is hot, but I'm not sure it's running. I'll check after coffee.

Not much will stop a cow getting to fresh green grass in the fall.

So off I went wearing flip flops and PJs, in 40 degree morning with 30 mph winds. Grrrr.
Well that's the cardio for the day.

Picked 5 gallon bucket full of green tomatoes from the garden. That's all the tomatoes, no more out there. I won't bother ripening them in the basement. They're all pretty small.

Another 12 pounds of red and orange ones. That's it, she's done.
so 259 pounds for the season.

I'll take the vines out this week and start working on the beds for winter.

Yes it is, I’m prepping for fall now.
Sounds like you are in the SW too? What do you plant in fall? I usually put in my peas, all the different lettuces I like, as well as things like kale and tomatoes. I am going to try some herbs this year that I used to grow when I lived in Utah and Kentucky and see how they do in the winter.

Haven't been on here for a few days! Tried to catch up quick!

family Birthday weekend, so made a bundt cake called "Hot Chocolate Coffee Rum Cake". Yes, its as good as it sounds. Even better, it has a caramelized rum sauce poured over the bottom (after holes are poked into the cake) so the cake gets this caramelized sauce inside, then the rest is used as a glaze. Yup, pretty yummy and was my breakfast today.

Here it is before candles or cutting occurred :
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.52.26 AM.png

The Rye and winter peas cover crop is planted in 3 beds, and sprouting. Will add the same to a few other areas.

The mustard we planted is doing well, and we picked leaves here and there and sautéed them for dinner - they were liked by all. It was our first time eating mustard greens. We have two types planted, so next time, I'll try the "Red Giant" variety, as those leaves were a little smaller than the green variety.

Back
Top Bottom