What did you do in the garden today?

I have to go out to plow again,
If you think you need to cover the trees for the cicadas, you don't. They don't have mouth parts. As adults, the critters we see, they are only out to mate, lay eggs, and die. They only eat as larvae underground. They won't hurt your trees either way.
It’s my understanding that the eggs are laid in the younger branches, killing it this year. I know there isn’t long term damage.

That is correct. The slits that they open to lay their eggs CAN kill smaller, weaker branches, but it rarely happens. If your trees are smaller, you can wrap in cheap tulle which is small enough to keep the adults out.

THe brood peaks vary in location from year to year- your peak hatch year isn't eveyone's- we don't even have them here but maybe two or three bugs total a year yet. And I've been places the brood year is so bad that you can scoop them up and bag them in trash bags when they start to die( there was even a win a VW beetle contest). All the local trees and orchards were fine.

Finally a nice enough day when I had my cell phone handy to take a picture of the compost pile... Not sure if you can tell how dark and rich this is breaking down. I'm so excited....

20210126_134742.jpg

20210126_134802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom