What did you do in the garden today?

mulch for sure. in some places we are also using weedmat. the argument against weedmat is that seeds and dirt and broken down mulch can land on it and then there will be weeds anyway BUT their roots will be sprawling and not well anchored so they're easier to pull
I'm using weed fabric in an area where I'll be planting 3 sisters. The speaking squash and pumpkin plants will limit my ability to get in that area and weed. While the purpose of the squash and pumpkin in 3 sisters is to shade out weeds and keep the ground shade to retain moisture, my garden proved quite weedy last year when where pumpkins were growing and I decided to take further measures this year.

I'm using weed fabric in an area where I'll be planting 3 sisters. The speaking squash and pumpkin plants will limit my ability to get in that area and weed. While the purpose of the squash and pumpkin in 3 sisters is to shade out weeds and keep the ground shade to retain moisture, my garden proved quite weedy last year when where pumpkins were growing and I decided to take further measures this year.
weeds are great, aren't they :gig

I got a new baby
I dont need another strawberry plant but this one makes pink/red (idk) flowers. my existing are white.
20210224_232122.jpg

I grew both purple (not sure which exact variety) and Dragon Tongue. The Dragon Tongue out performed the purple by quite a bit. I think they are more of a wax bean, but I thought they were tasty too.

It's fun to cook the purple ones, though. They turn green and the water is aqua-to-bluish. If you have small kids, you turn that into a magic trick... :)

Last year, I blanched and froze about 20 quart bags of beans. I like them so much better than canned. And so much easier to do, too. No pressure cooker, no jars, just blanch, chill, and put into bags. I could do a big bowl of them in less than an hour.
Thank you - I almost stopped at the garden store on my way by yesterday to buy the purple ones. But I was lazy, lol. That's exactly what I do with my beans thanks to @Wee Farmer Sarah, blanch, dry, lay them on a cookie sheet to freeze then bag. They've worked so good that way & DH has been eating them with most of his lunches all winter. Just the other night he asked for them for dinner. I'm much more of a fresh veggie girl, not huge on veggies so if I'm going to eat them they need to be fresh. I may never find a green bean I like frozen, but it can't hurt to try them all! :gig
I'm one of those people that audio literally goes in one ear and out the other. I can't even focus on what they're saying to enjoy it. I wish I could, but alas.
EXACTLY! I wouldn't catch a word of it. I'm a visual learner, if I'm not seeing it, it's all blah blah blah to me.

Morning all! Windy here, but gonna be another warm, sunny day. I can see the outlines of the garden beds through the snow! :yesss:

ETA: Oh weeds - I don't do weeds because of my back, it's just not possible for me to weed. I use a super thick layer of the baked straw on every inch of the garden - it's expensive but I have no choice. The rest of the beds & stuff get a thick layer of wood chips.

Last edited:
SO says my new meditation is weeding. I'll just sit outside with an audiobook and weed for hours.
I went to a friend's house last summer to weed her strawberry bed. (She was feeling very overwhelmed with work, etc.) We turned it into a "get together with friends." Her hubby said I looked like I was having fun out there on my hands and knees, weeding. I said, yup.

I sometimes take my MP3 player (oh, yeah, so behind the times) to the garden and sing along. Sorry neighbors. Stairway to Heaven; Carry On, Wayward Son; American Pie; You've Got a Friend... 70s songs. And instrumentals or stuff in foreign languages that I just sing laaaah deee oooo mmmm ahhhhh.

I went to a friend's house last summer to weed her strawberry bed. (She was feeling very overwhelmed with work, etc.) We turned it into a "get together with friends." Her hubby said I looked like I was having fun out there on my hands and knees, weeding. I said, yup.

I sometimes take my MP3 player (oh, yeah, so behind the times) to the garden and sing along. Sorry neighbors. Stairway to Heaven; Carry On, Wayward Son; American Pie; You've Got a Friend... 70s songs. And instrumentals or stuff in foreign languages that I just sing laaaah deee oooo mmmm ahhhhh.
MP3 players actually seem to be getting popular again. Especially with hikers and other people who want music but can’t afford to run down their phone battery down. I actually want one for when I’m in the garden. My phone battery is bad and will only last about an hour playing music less in the cold and if it’s warm it overheats:he

Seed starting update:
A few of the flowers decurrent false asters and columbine are sprouting. I'm hoping to see more pop up soon. I planted 20 columbine and 10 asters I believe. Several asters are up, but only two columbine.

I need to get Brussels sprouts planted apparently. I'm seeing mixed planted schedules for them, but several say to stay them with celery which I already started so I'm going to try to get those seeds in today.

Two pots of herbs are sprouting. Both are basil.

My prarie onions are coming up nicely still. Over half have sprouted. I planted 50 cells... I need just about all of them for the flower border in front of the garden fence so I am hoping they keep on sprouting.

The grocery store hard neck garlic are getting tall and their roots are now just reaching the bottom of the 6" pots I transplanted them in. I believe every last garlic clove sprouted, which is still surprising to me.

Edit: I was off on the number of cells of onions and the type of herb that sprouted. Corrected now. Not thinking correctly this morning... Didn't have coffee yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom