What did you do in the garden today?

Been a while. I got my 1 acre tilled, and have planted carrots, corn, sunflowers, tomatoes, potatoes, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, and watermelons. I also tilled up a section my my fence and planted some more asparagus and some more tame blackberries.

Have my ghost and habanero peppers in a mini greenhouse. Doubling my grow this year since the 20 plants last year didn't make enough hot sauce to last till this year.

Guess we're getting snow. Snowing pretty good at the moment now too. I forgot to take the fig tree in, hopefully I didn't kill the figs. I suppose I should have listened to the weathermen & not assumed they were being dramatic. It's 38 degrees so... IMG_20210416_063302672.jpg

Soil might be warm enough to start planting some things here but I have other stuff I have finish first :hmm . Today I’m going to try my hardest to get the last plants potted and the poles cut but I’m not holding out hope that I’ll finish. Especially since I have to go to the store and find chick supplies. Tomorrow I’ll have to take the foster dog to his new home or host if they actually decide to drive all the way here so either way I’ll be busy for most of the day.

You know to hill the potatoes right? Also check if the variety you planted is determinate or indeterminate. Determinate you can hill once or heavily mulch and you are all set. Indeterminate you want to hill regularly.
:confused:😳 Well, color me all shades of confused and surprised. I have never heard that potatoes are determinate or indeterminate. It makes sense, though. I've never seen that descriptor on the varieties I've bought, either. Heading off to Google...

Ok, so thank you @BReeder! I have learned something new and very useful! I have three types of potatoes: Kennebec (det), Elba (indet), and Caribou (unknown... russet variety).

Does anyone know type which Caribou is? I couldn't find it on any of the sites I went to. It was my least productive type last year, but since I had such a banner potato year, that isn't saying anything bad about it. It is the one I got seed balls from.

All three types seemed to die back about the same time, but since I didn't know there was a difference, I didn't pay attention to that. I think I'll notice a difference this year. :thumbsup

So I got my new medication Tuesday afternoon . Feeling better and doing more . Lost muscle during my illness . Got to build my strength .

So I am looking to buy a brush hog - category 1 and 5 foot . Any recommendations on brands . Looks like 3 farm stores have a different brand . So county line , king cutter and tarter . Figured new as I don't want somebody else troubles .

Ok, so thank you @BReeder! I have learned something new and very useful! I have three types of potatoes: Kennebec (det), Elba (indet), and Caribou (unknown... russet variety).

Does anyone know type which Caribou is? I couldn't find it on any of the sites I went to. It was my least productive type last year, but since I had such a banner potato year, that isn't saying anything bad about it. It is the one I got seed balls from.

All three types seemed to die back about the same time, but since I didn't know there was a difference, I didn't pay attention to that. I think I'll notice a difference this year. :thumbsup
Being a mid season potato, treat it like an indeterminate. Mid season varieties can be either determinate or indeterminate, but my rule of of is hill them good is I don't know. Worst case is they only make potatoes around planted depth and you hilled for nothing. But if the are indeterminate and you do not hill, you will not get as many potatoes. Another trick is to plant them deep. I plant my potatoes nearly a ft deep. This means a little less hilling later. Determinate varieties keep only about 6 inches deep though as they will not use the extra vertical space.

Back
Top Bottom