What did you do in the garden today?

Back from the city. My 6.5 year old dishwasher just up and died. It's always been a PIA lemon, but NOW it chooses to die. Waiting list time for an out of USA one is over a month. In stock is limited to USA models, which is fine, but I happen to know a lot of them don't last. But it is what it is and the wait time is STILL three weeks to get it here.

Sales were better today, but all cookies and girls dresses. I did well enough this weekend at the shop, but still not worth my time.

I had a LONG think on it last night and I am going to eliminate my etsy shop May 31st. Etsy is pulling some things I think are bordering on shady, and I'll leave it at that. I hope to get a website/store online eventually for my woven items. We shall see.

No gardening today except watering the beans. Welcome rain is coming, storms are too, although they are not welcome at all. The wind has been ridiculous.
Geez we had ours in a few days. Stove and washer/dryer too
Glad sales were better today!

Went out to our county landfill this morning and got a free load of wood chips. Pictured here in full glory is my 1993 Ford Explorer with my grandfather's trailer (over 60 years old) filled with wood chips. As I was filling up my trailer with wood chips, other people were dumping off their yard waste. Maybe I'm the only one who shows up at the county landfill with an empty trailer and leaves with a full one...

1620515025836.png

:old BTW, I found the wood chips were just a bit heavier than last year and it took me a few more minutes to fork in the chips into the trailer this year. Still, I was able to load up the trailer in about 20 minutes plus I filled 4 large muck buckets full of chips and loaded them in back of the Explorer. Not too bad.

I have both a gas and electric chipper at home, but it would take me hours and hours to chip up as much wood as I loaded in 20 minutes at the landfill. I use those chips in the coop and the chicken run, as well as in the pathways of my garden. Like everyone says in the Back To Eden videos, the wood chips break down into wonderful soil over time. Really great stuff and a free resource for me as long as I am able to load up the trailer myself.

Went out to our county landfill this morning and got a free load of wood chips. Pictured here in full glory is my 1993 Ford Explorer with my grandfather's trailer (over 60 years old) filled with wood chips. As I was filling up my trailer with wood chips, other people were dumping off their yard waste. Maybe I'm the only one who shows up at the county landfill with an empty trailer and leaves with a full one...

View attachment 2657566

:old BTW, I found the wood chips were just a bit heavier than last year and it took me a few more minutes to fork in the chips into the trailer this year. Still, I was able to load up the trailer in about 20 minutes plus I filled 4 large muck buckets full of chips and loaded them in back of the Explorer. Not too bad.

I have both a gas and electric chipper at home, but it would take me hours and hours to chip up as much wood as I loaded in 20 minutes at the landfill. I use those chips in the coop and the chicken run, as well as in the pathways of my garden. Like everyone says in the Back To Eden videos, the wood chips break down into wonderful soil over time. Really great stuff and a free resource for me as long as I am able to load up the trailer myself.
I mulched my entire backyard except the veggie garden with a chip drop last year. It really helps keep the dust down and I’m already seeing an improvement in the soil underneath.

I mulched my entire backyard except the veggie garden with a chip drop last year. It really helps keep the dust down and I’m already seeing an improvement in the soil underneath.

I looked into that Chip Drop last year but could not find anyone locally who was on the list. Maybe I'll check again this year. But, as you can see in my picture, we have a pretty good pile of wood chips to load up for free.

I have raised beds, but once I get my plants going in them, I'll use some woods chips as mulch to help keep in the water when it rains. Also, the wood chips choke out the weeds. In the fall, I usually rake off the wood chips and prep the beds for next spring using compost from my chicken run compost system.

I had a pile of wood chips sitting in the yard for about one year and they had already started to compost. I sifted bags full of compost from those wood chips and threw the unfinished chips into my compost bin(s) for more composting. I will be expanding my chicken run this year and then I'll be dumping the unsifted wood chips back into the chicken run. I mix in grass clippings and leaves in the run, along with the wood chips, and it composts in place. Chickens do most of the work, digging, scratching, and pecking the litter in the run turning it into compost. Like black gold everyone talks about.

I have been to every place that sells plants in town (not a small town) in the last two days. Everybody only has quinault strawberries, so I bought four plants and I'll get them planted out soon. It's supposed to rain/snow/be miserable the next three days so I'll wait and they can hang out with my other plants in my room.

In other news, holy smokes, I just found out today that the place we're moving to may be fine about us having chickens and a garden! Yeah! I'll need to clarify with the landlady a little better when we get there, but it's a little ray of sunshine I wasn't expecting to get. Best I hoped for was a few potted plants outside my door.

I think some girls like the IDEA of chicks but not the reality of it lol.
FWIW those math issues extend to ducks as well. I started with 3, then I had 6, now I have 7.
Funny how that works. :highfive:

And she tricked me again! Now Bitey says she has no interest in brooding! We'll see, I do a nest check after dark each night to make sure no one is sleeping in the boxes before locking the coop door for the night. I might have to look into extending the chicken run though. Definitely have to add another roost.

Back
Top Bottom