What did you do in the garden today?

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there is a best time of the day to water? Have a good night!
I see you are in the north so I’m not sure about where you live but here in west texas when it’s cool out I’ll water in the morning. When it’s hot I’ll water in the later evening about 8 pm that way the sun is setting and water won’t evaporate as quickly as it would during the heat of the day.

Assisted while DH trimmed some branches off trees that were sagging too low once they leafed out. So now we have a lot of branches to chop up and dispose of. Also noticed small tan bugs on my lingering tulip stems...guess I should cut them off since it's about that time anyway?

Got some baby green beans growing!

The irises are still taking turns blooming. So pretty! 20210508_131604.jpg 20210508_131545.jpg

Assisted while DH trimmed some branches off trees that were sagging too low once they leafed out. So now we have a lot of branches to chop up and dispose of. Also noticed small tan bugs on my lingering tulip stems...guess I should cut them off since it's about that time anyway?

Got some baby green beans growing!

The irises are still taking turns blooming. So pretty! View attachment 2662917View attachment 2662918
I love irisis! Yours are beautiful! mine are purple.

I just got home from my extended trip away.... Been gone for a week. First thing I did was go in the house and check on my cats. Second - checked (and counted) all my chickens. Third - checked the garden! 😂

A few casualties in the garden from pests and storms but everything with a pulse is still intact! ☺ I'll take a closer look tomorrow morning in the daylight.

Set up my first aquaponics system.View attachment 2662946
I don't play with aquaponics much, although I have a pond with ducks (and used to have fish before the ducks). Maybe one day I'll decide to grow some plants in a container and let water flow through it. Now I'm thinking aquaponics planters hanging form the fence that separates the duck pond from the garden. That could be neat. Not a this year project though. Too many other things to do already.
If it gets windy there at all, you might want to reinforce that PVC stand if it's wobbly at all. String tied tight (tension) from corner to opposite diagonal corner on each side and through the center should help keep it from getting wobbly.

I try to water in the am & like @WthrLady said, from the bottom so as to not harm the leaves.

You should be ok then!

Full disclosure: I tend to overfill my beds...
That's my life story! Stuffed to the brim! It's ok, I find that stuff does well anyway. It keeps me on my toes with both weeding & harvesting.

I feel your pain Sueby, I have a pretty severe allergy to oak pollen and our trees are loaded. I tried gardening with a mask and it worked really well . also I wear sunglasses that cover my eyes well. Maybe it would work for you too.

X 2 on the mask, especially when cleaning the coop or windy days.

I actually had a stash of cloth masks before this mess for just that reason. Sadly, I also have a contact allergy with pollen so.... ya
Yep, contact allergy here too. I ate some parsley I had picked once & didn't rinse it well enough & ended up at the doc, that was not a good time! I have to be very careful with the lettuce this time of year. I haven't been outside except to collect eggs in a couple days. The garden will wait.

& I ALWAYS wear a mask when cleaning the coop. My sisters boss spent a week in the hospital on his death bed before they finally figured out it some type of pneumonia/lung infection from cleaning his coop (I believe it was called Parrot Lung, but I could be wrong). I wear an N95 mask, gloves & shower right after I'm done. I'm paranoid, lol.

With that said, I will wear my mask when I go outside now, thanks for the suggestion - it can't hurt!

@NewBoots they are adorable!! :love Are they all supposed to be girls? :oops: It's too early to tell but 2 of them make me wonder.

Back
Top Bottom