What did you do in the garden today?

Sunday I got my tomatoes into their beds. I purchased heirloom varieties from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Since the weather is on a warming trend I'll be getting my luffas in one of these days, but I'll need to fill the rest of my beds before planting out the peppers. PXL_20210517_005723375.jpg

Worked in the beds a bit. Planted four bush bean varieties meant for dry beans. Moved the pole bean trellises into position, so will plant pole beans tomorrow.

Planning to plant over the next two days. Will watch weather to determine if the starts hardening on the deck will go into the garden now or wait until next week. But, temps increasing, so I should just get them in.

Two lane majorly traveled State Park road with no shoulder. Not allowed.
No pull off and we'd be liable for accidents. But thanks for the idea.
If there's a church nearby, you could ask about using their parking lot on a day they don't meet to meet with online customers or see about making deliveries to members of the church there on Sunday afternoons when they let out. You never know, they might say yes. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Good morning all. What an amazing photo @Acre4Me and a cheery start to the day. I had planned on doing some more grocery shopping today but I decided to wait until tomorrow on that. There's so much to do outside and the temps are only getting near 80F today but will be over that tomorrow. Need to do the trimming and watering in the front yard. Then mow and trim up the main garden. The potato patch needs a little attention. Some of the bags are ready for more dirt and there's garlic mustard growing through the wood pallet slats. The lilies I planted in the front garden are already coming up and the very first of the string beans are breaking through the soil and the radishes I planted near them are coming up nicely as well. Yesterday I planted a pot of mint and also got the okra and bell peppers in the ground. The sunroom is nearly cleared out of "plantlings." So I will be doing the annual clean up of that room soon.

A rabbit hot two of my cucumber plants this morning. I saw it in the garden from the bathroom window when I went to shower. After I got it out was still there so I went out with the pup to scare it out of the garden. The pup was more concerned with sniffing around everywhere and trying to get into the duck run so he didn't help run off the rabbit. I walked over and it finally fled.
The garden is fenced in, but apparently a rabbit can squeeze through 2x4 wire. I need to add some other over it along the bottom I guess.

Oh yes, they squeeze. Chicken wire or hardware cloth will do the trick though.
Until they dig under it... Ahh! I'm not digging the wire into the ground though. That's too much work. My garden is about 24'x55'. I'm not trenching that whole perimeter. Maybe I'll cave and pay for granules that are supposed to deter them. I just hate the idea of having to constantly apply something to keep them out.

Back
Top Bottom