What did you do in the garden today?

We have drizzle enough wet most the ground but not under the trees The tomatilla I bought did not look real strong so bought new today with blooms already at Sunbirds
If it's small still, pop the buds off. It will grow plenty more, but removing the ones it has now will allow it to focus its energy on expanding its roots after transplanting.

Last edited:
I got one rabbit! There was another with it that got away. If it comes back, I'm going all out Elmer Fudd again. Sight is missing on my pellet gun so accuracy is an issue. I need to get a replacement sight.

I also purchased a fungicide at Menards called Daconil. Anybody have experience with it? It includes peach leaf curl in the instruction diagram as something it treats. Hoping it works. Should I remove the already curled leaves?

Last edited:
It has rained 5 inches since Sunday night. We got a short break in the rain this evening so I went out to the garden.

I managed to get a few pictures of the hoop house frame.
20210518_172706.jpg

20210518_172629.jpg

I was able to bring two wagon loads of mulch out to cover more of the fabric barrier inside the hoop house but I still have WAY more to do. I think I'm just going to load a bunch into the truck bed instead of doing wagon load after wagon load. Probably be quicker...

My onions are flowering too
20210518_172612.jpg

I also managed to catch my 9 mo old GLW rooster who has turned into a major jerk. He was butchered tonight before the storms blew back in with a vengeance. Almost didn't make it back up to the house. The wind brought down a big section of the dogwood tree right next to my garage...
20210518_201635.jpg

Here's one for you, non garden related.
It seems that all 12,000 of the model of shark vacuum that I bought at the end of January, did an update and can no longer talk to the app that runs them. I've heard, 'give it another 24 hours', from the Shark reps since Friday. This Friday, my call will be to have them send me a shipping label and a different, replacement model. $500 paperweight. Geesh.

Got some bulbs transplanted. Weeded about half the corn and raked up about 10 hills for squash. Also killed a bunch of cucumber beetles they killed some of the squash that was already up.Ironically they are in all the squash and melons but haven’t touched the cucumbers. I was switching between weeding and raking and while I was going to finished the last two squash hills I realized the new foster puppy’s face was swelling up like a balloon so I gave him a Benadryl and raced to the emergency vet. Looks like he will be fine but scared the crap out of me especially since it was about 30 minutes after all the local vets closed and it was an hour drive to the emergency vet.

I was switching between weeding and raking and while I was going to finished the last two squash hills I realized the new foster puppy’s face was swelling up like a balloon so I gave him a Benadryl and raced to the emergency vet.
Lucy our pug/rat terrier did that twice and the benadryl was a life saver. I'm sure yours will be fine. Once after we were clearing stuff out of the basement in Portland, we stirred up the black widows that lived down there. One bit one of the cats and we nearly lost him. The vet packed him in ice and he came home good as new.

Robin family has expanded to 4 babies! Of course, all might not make it - that one just hatching is so much smaller right now.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.43.35 PM.png

In curious news: the robin family on the deck light (which is a great protected spot under the eaves) seems abandoned. There was one egg in it a couple of days ago. But today - there is nothing, just a few bits of egg shell. The bits are circled in the pic. My kid said they found a couple of broken robin eggs in the yard (not really close to the nest- could not have fallen nor rolled there) - a robin cant just "not make it to the nest" and oops, drop/lay an egg can they? Would a robin eat the remaining egg for nourishment?
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.44.15 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom