What did you do in the garden today?

The "rule" I go by is to plant the biggest cloves for the next year's harvest. Eat the smaller ones.

I have Music garlic, and it usually has only four cloves, but they are HUGE!

That's our plan for hubby too. 59 1/2 and a day. We are counting down now; less than a year! If we can swing it earlier than that, we will.
Okay, @Sueby, and @Sally PB, 59 and 1/2 is such an odd number, why that age?

I wasn’t in the garden today because we finally started laying flooring in the new house and got our bathroom vanity in! DH did a great job.
4C000E29-C945-4480-8821-164542DCEC93.jpeg
CD45CE87-B191-43F1-A0FA-1DF0FBDFF0E0.jpeg
8A8B9E6F-D6B3-4E53-8CDA-A06E02A27F3A.jpeg

Dh and I had a realization moment when a coworker of ours died. He was planning what he'd do in his retirement, talked about how he'd do this and that. He was planning to retire at 62, and died at 60.

That's too bad. I had an aunt and uncle that had all kinds of retirement plans including buying a 5th wheeler and traveling across the country. My uncle worked too long. By the time he retired, his health was too poor to really do anything. In 6 months, his mental decline was very noticeable and he soon was not able to drive. I don't know if he even had 2 years of retirement before he passed. They never realized any of their retirement dreams as his health had declined too much before he even retired.

My mom and stepdad had the same dream to travel around after retirement. They bought an incredible 5th wheel that I used to call their "mansion on wheels." It was pretty fancy.... Fireplace, huge big screen TV, outdoor kitchen, slideouts everywhere... But my step-dad soon realized that he simply didn't have the health to manage the upkeep. They sold the trailer for pennies on the dollar. My step-dad died on Christmas Day 2019... Less than a year after selling the 5th wheel and 2 yrs after retirement. ☹️

I had a sales rep show up at my door today pitching bug and rodent control services. I certainly use home defense, specifically to prevent carpenter and and spiders from making our house their home. This guy was offering a service though that included lawn treatment that he claimed penetrates into the ground, killing all insects on and below the surface down to 2ft. I personally found this to be very disturbing. While I don't enjoy them in my house insects are a vital part of the ecosystem, especially pollinators. Is disturbing to think that neighbors may be having broad spectrum pesticide spread all over their lawn. Creating a home barrier is one thing, but killing every insect on your property!? That seems extreme to me. The best part of this whole experience was the company the sales rep works for is called Eco(something), and he boasted how they use all natural plant based insecticides. Seemed odd that they want to destroy all insects, but they rely on plants to produce the chemicals they use - many plants (if not all) rely on insects in one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom