What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Got tied up in contractor miscommunication world yesterday haggling over the kitchen countertop installation. Wow, all settled now. Had a storm roll through here yesterday evening. The wind was pretty wicked but no major damage. Some of the flower pots and tomato plants in containers were blown over, but no major damage. I tied up some of the tomato and pepper branches but I was happy there wasn't any breakage. I wish the overwintering kale worked here @Sequel, however I am in zone 5b and the average snowfall would crush the kale plants under cover. I suspect you don't get much snow around Puget Sound. There are a number of farmers here that leave kale and collards in their fields until November, but that is the latest it makes sense to keep longer. I pulled my curly kale to make way for a second planting of a more cold hardy variety and to plant a row of collards as well. The radishes and lettuce I planted a few days ago are already coming up. I froze nearly a pound of green beans the other day and have collected over a half pound again. This is from a tiny 2 1/2 square feet of garden space. The main planting of pole / green beans haven't started producing yet but are nearing that stage. The summer squash are struggling with trying to get their wet flowers pollinated, but I think I may have a yellow squash in another day or two. The butternut squash are doing their male flower dance and hopefully soon will start developing the squash soon. Not much else going on for now. I too am happy you got that tree down safely @gtaus. That can be a wee bit risky. I gave up playing with chainsaws when I turned 40. I know a guy who is a professional tree person so if ever I need, I can give him a call. Good to hear you didn't get slammed by last nights storm @Sueby. Apparently there was a lot of damage across Massachusetts so I feel quite fortunate. Have a great day all!

Weather said no rain for 10 days when I checked last. I got woken up too early by a wild thunderstorm though. Some lightning struck very close. The house shook and the thunder was incredibly loud. The downpour got so bad that visibility was measured in feet looking out the patio doors. The garden is just about 60 feet from the house, and I couldn't see it at all at one point.
The upside is the garden and lawn got watered. I'm hoping the garden didn't take much damage.

We weren't supposed to get any more rain either. But it's been raining all morning, and will rain a good chunk of the afternoon as well by the look of it.
I'm wondering if the smoke and ash from wildfires in the West is building pop-up storms as it moves eastward in the atmosphere. Apparently the smoke and ash particles in the air can attract water molecules and quickly form clouds unexpectedly.

They are saying out here the fires make their own weather also but if it rains it evaporates before it hits the ground here.
And that evaporated water just goes back up into the atmosphere where it cools and condenses as it is carried by winds to the East along with ash and smoke. Sounds the the perfect mix for a thunderstorm over the plains, and then picking up more moisture over the Great Lakes to create storms for New England.

Just hosed off the alpacas for the second time today.
I went to let the hens out, who usually trample each other to come out for the day. Everyone of them was standing in the run extension, and they refused to come out, even when I opened the door, hooked it open and walked away. I have NO idea. I'm only guessing that something mean passed through the yard and I didn't see it and they were refusing to come out for that reason. I topped off their water with cold well water, closed their main door and window shutter for afternoon shade and turned their fan on high. Guess that will have to do.

Garden is sprayed with copper and the irrigation is running in the orchard for a couple hours. It's only 1pm and feels like a swampy 110'.

It's miserable hot today in the Deep South too.... The next 3 days will be even worse. Regular temp will be 100-102, not including the heat index. I'm thinking about picking up a watermelon to put in the fridge for my poor hens. I gave them the last of what I had out of the garden today. It will help them stay cool and keep hydrated. Maybe some frozen peas and corn too?

I've been taking a Frogg Togg chill pad with me whenever I go outside. DH snagged one too.... It helps a little.

I'm sure the tomatoes and peppers are just loving this heat but everything else is looking seriously wilted. I generally like to water in the early mornings. I couldn't water yesterday morning because I had an early meeting for work. By the evening, nearly everything was wilted so I went ahead and watered last night. I tried not to get the leaves of anything wet but that is only minimally successful. It was supposed to rain yesterday and today but didn't.... Now they aren't calling for rain until Sunday. We need it so badly! The grass looks dead and is crunching under my feet.

I'm wondering if the smoke and ash from wildfires in the West is building pop-up storms as it moves eastward in the atmosphere. Apparently the smoke and ash particles in the air can attract water molecules and quickly form clouds unexpectedly.
Possibly for you, but here it's just a low pressure system smacking into the dry line. Just, the dry line is far enough west today that we actually benefit from the rain.

Also! Good news. The additional fill material appears to have redirected the water from the street. The future garden is not turning into a temporary pond today. At least not yet. Meanwhile I was dodging flooded streets when I went out earlier. Fun as always. Have to check the heat shield under my car later, make sure it's still there and attached.

Back
Top Bottom