What did you do in the garden today?

Rather than totally pickling your bitter cucumbers @gtaus, I remember my grandmother diluting white vinegar with water and adding some dill to it. Put the sliced cucumbers in a bowl with this solution for an hour or two in the refrigerator. The cucumbers will have a brighter flavor, but way less sodium as in pickles. This was pretty much a standard side dish with summer dinners.
I used to do something similar. I would use lemon juice though instead of vinegar. Makes a delicious snack or side dish.

Nothing today- predator got two of my hens. Started July with five- have one left- and she only made it due to being in the ā€œhospital ā€œwith bumble foot. I was being so diligent about closing down the run door every evening. The hinges came loose on one of the nesting box lids and the lid was just sitting on top of the box and that is where they came in. The lid was shoved aside. The guy is coming Monday to fix it ( is that like shutting the barn door after the horses have escaped?? )
So now I have a whole area dedicated to hen graves. Maybe I will make a memorial garden next year. I ordered babies for September- I guarantee that coop / run will be solid.

Had a rather large haul out of the garden today.... Peppers coming out the Ying yang. Grapes are ripening up... I think DH is going to make wine... Preparing for the apocalypse and he wants to ensure he has alcohol.... šŸ˜‚

20210801_001746.jpg

2 of 7 pints din't seal, but I think it was the flat lids.
I had two lids in the case that were on so tightly from shipping, getting hot, and then cooling in the store and here, that I had to flick them off with a knife. I think the gasket was already too far deformed to use. It thought it was being reused.
So back into the canner they go. I'll mark them as reprocessed and use them for tossing into a crockpot pot roast right at the very end. They'll be fine.

Heading out to pick tomatoes. I'll process what I have of those tomorrow.

Grapes look good, but DH says they're far too sour yet.

I reuse lids. if a few don't seal I just replace them.

Nothing today- predator got two of my hens. Started July with five- have one left- and she only made it due to being in the ā€œhospital ā€œwith bumble foot. I was being so diligent about closing down the run door every evening. The hinges came loose on one of the nesting box lids and the lid was just sitting on top of the box and that is where they came in. The lid was shoved aside. The guy is coming Monday to fix it ( is that like shutting the barn door after the horses have escaped?? )
So now I have a whole area dedicated to hen graves. Maybe I will make a memorial garden next year. I ordered babies for September- I guarantee that coop / run will be solid.

sorry for your losses.

I have a graveyard for chickens. I protected them from a fox but not from my own dogs. still have plenty of chickens and my male dog is in jail most of day time when chickens are in their run. german shepherd was a bad idea.

I still have like 50 pages to catch up on, but I just have to share how pleased I am with my garden so far, after building the raised beds.

This past week I finished installing cardboard + wood chips around all the tires/beds that are going to be permanent, and in the meantime most of the current plants are doing either great, OK, or maybe possible.

tempImageoBz6OU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom