What did you do in the garden today?

Oh! I've been meaning to ask! Where does one get cheap/free pots for seed starting

Tp tubes. Rip the end a little to fold it inward for the bottom.
I've done this, and it works well. Sometimes the tube wants to fall apart, so I pack them in together in something like a roasting pan.

Here's something I do for larger pots. It's reusable, fairly gentle on the roots, and free.

Save your quart sized yogurt containers, or anything like that with a lid. I've used cottage cheese and sour cream containers, and asked friends to save some for me. I have gobs saved up/donated by now.

Cut the bottom off the container. Punch a couple drainage holes in the top and put it back on. Turn it over, and viola! There's your pot. Granted, this does take more potting soil to fill.

The day before planting day, water thoroughly. You want the soil moist. When it's planting time, dig the hole and add any amendments. Carefully peel off the lid (bottom of the pot). Most times for me, the soil/root ball wants to slide right out of the container, so support the bottom and get it in the hole.

Rinse and save the container for the next year.

I made my tp rolls like this last year. This year, I did them a little different. Instead of overlapping the bottoms, I took someone else's advice to layer each flap on top of each other and then dip the bottom in a little bit of water. Stand it up in your separate bowl or pan and let it dry overnight. After it dries, it will stay flat on the bottom and be sturdier. I definitely liked this way better than the other (personally speaking...).

There's a video of this water method somewhere on YouTube. I can try to find it later if anyone is interested in seeing it.

This year, I did them a little different. Instead of overlapping the bottoms, I took someone else's advice to layer each flap on top of each other and then dip the bottom in a little bit of water. Stand it up in your separate bowl or pan and let it dry overnight. After it dries, it will stay flat on the bottom and be sturdier. I definitely liked this way better than the other
That sounds easier. I think I'll give that a try this year. Thank you!

I hit a snag with the hoop house today. I glued all my fittings for the tubing and when I went to attach the posts, NONE of them fit in the reducers. 1 inch reducers and 1 inch tubes. I'm so tired, I'll tackle it another day. I may have to trim off all the cemented angle and reducers and figure something else out. Infuriating.
I would like to help, but I am not understanding your predicament: You glued the angles to the tubing - so those parts fit. But the posts don't fit into the reducers.

What are you using for posts? and why not use the same material as you used for tubing.

Instead of cutting off all the parts you have glued together, can you add a short piece of the smaller tubing and another reducer to make it accept the larger posts?

Last edited:
THe EMT tubing it the top rail and cements into reducers which are on PVC tubes that slide down over T-posts. The cement isn't holding on the EMT, but it should. And the EMT isn't fitting into the reducers. To further complicate things three of my Tposts, must be a different company, don't fit in my PVC tubes.

I'll rework it later this week. I'm no stranger to reworking while standing in the hardware store. LOL

Back
Top Bottom