What did you do in the garden today?

So one of my friends told me she had to go to 3 different places to find cherry tomato starts this year. Has anyone else had trouble finding starts? I started everything from seed (except a few extra cabbages my neighbor didn’t have room for and gave me her extra starts). I only buy marigold & petunia starts, limited room so I start mostly things we will eat, and if they don’t have them I can survive without for a year.
The greenhouse I buy my plants from had half the amount of tomato starts as they usually had.
My tomatoes I started didn't do well because of the new grow lights I bought. I'm going back to the square ones, they work a lot better.

DH had half my peanut butter muffin Friday.
I can hear his tummy from across the room.
We are now calling it the peanut butter flu. LOL

Everywhere I've been I've seen plenty of starts. Big box will be cleaning up this week on round two of sales for those that planted the past couple of weeks and lost it all to the long chill and frost of last night.

No issues with finding starts here, although the cherry tomatoes seem to be the most popular from what I saw.
I think I’m officially giving up on the blueberries. I don’t have time for special needs plants and there are others I can grow that will fit into the garden better. Still nothing from the apple tree :rantToday I’m making a watering chart so I can track things, finally have enough going on that I need one. Took a few pics of the flock, I’m in love with the SS, such pretty birds!I like that the Nn are gingers, they coordinate well. One of the girls hangs back from people but the rest readily approach
11ACE184-4512-4065-A37D-38187BBDCBC5.jpeg

There’s a greenhouse about a mile or less from here and they carry a great variety of starts. They never have okra but honestly, even though I start them indoors they do better just direct seeding them in the garden. DD doesn’t have the room to start much in her apartment and she got most everything on her garden plan from this greenhouse. And the prices are unbelievably low.

Funny y'all have cold & Sarah & I are baking. My poor bush bean plants are all wilted & the smaller ones might not make it. They needed shade cloth but who would have thunk that in May in CT! Not a biggie, I can poke a couple more seeds in the ground if they don't recover by the cool down tomorrow.

Got my new lettuce bed all set up & planted on the deck so I can wheel it in sun or shade. My back is going to LOVE this. The quality is not too bad, it's sturdy & everything is square & fit together & it wheels nicely. For the price I paid DH wouldn't have been able to build one. I may need to paint it at some point.
IMG_20220522_153501153_HDR.jpg

It came with a hot house so I can extend the season.
IMG_20220522_153527797_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I took a chance and didn’t water this morning with a 40% chance of rain…we are having a short downpour right now. Supposed to be over soon. Glad I didn’t waste time with the hose. I pruned the tomato suckers and bottom branch, a few have flowers already! Got some weeding in also.

Last edited:
IMG_20220520_173250165.jpg
I checked on my potted ginseng roots that came in the mail. 2 up and the rest MIA. No seeds have sprouted so it looks like root transplants might be the way to go until I figure out how to make them work?
Oh yeah our stores are overrun by cherry tomato type starts here. Maybe the stock from your area came to virginia! I was able to find some maters of various sizes tho. Chickens kept digging up the peppers and maters to dustbathe but put a fence up and they are growing well.

It took years, but I finally got DH to stop buying/asking for Jif peanut butter about two months ago. Quite timely. I've switched a store brand that doesn't use any sugar or hydrogenated oils (ick). The primary reason he liked Jif was because he could leave it sitting at room temperature and it wouldn't separate. The brand I found won't separate in the fridge, and is still spreadable at fridge temps. Finally converted him.

Worked on filling the garden beds a bit yesterday until I got too tired of shoveling to keep going. Then organized the pantry a bit (more to go). Had to turn on the heat this morning for a little bit! 54 outside.
We eat only natural unsweetened PB too. I never in a million years would have though I could switch DH from the hydrogenated sweetened stuff! I much prefer it now.

I haven't seen a problem with starts. I did notice not a great selection at my garden store, but the aisles are full. & prices weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. It's just the beginning of tomato season here too, some don't plant until June.

Back
Top Bottom