What did you do in the garden today?

Just put all the tomatoes back in the greenhouse.
I was trying to decide if I was going to sit here like a potato blob all day and be miserable or get up.
I was wobbly, but I managed to go get gas for the mowing (which I decided I didn't feel good enough to manage) and the truck. $148 later. Grrrr.
I noticed that the windward side of the greenhouse is full of holes from the last hail storm. I guess I'll be redoing that this summer too. I'll just put the new clear panels right over the old.

We eat only natural unsweetened PB too. I never in a million years would have though I could switch DH from the hydrogenated sweetened stuff! I much prefer it now.

I haven't seen a problem with starts. I did notice not a great selection at my garden store, but the aisles are full. & prices weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. It's just the beginning of tomato season here too, some don't plant until June.
I switched to the no sugar added Jiff, but we were finishing up what was in the pantry before I moved on to the newer stuff.
I swear, it's always something.

I'll be without a kitchen for a few weeks & no way to do dishes. It's going to stink, but in the end I'll have a much more efficient kitchen. With a dishwasher & a fan vented to the outside! :yesss:
A kitchen remodel is one the very best things! We had a partial remodel of the kitchen in the house we used to live in and that was when I got a dishwasher too. I can live without one but it's just a joy to have.
I don't really do coupons either - as @Wee Farmer Sarah they're generally for processed things we don't eat.
Freddy's is really good at only sending me coupons that I'd actually use, there are advantages to letting them track your purchases plus I get money off on gas.
Took a few pics of the flock, I’m in love with the SS, such pretty birds!
Speckled Sussex are just plain beautiful birds, that shiny mahogany with the sprinkling of bright white. My 2 are real personalities as well. They are fairly low on the pecking order but know how to handle it. They always avoid conflict but still know how to get close to me to get more than their share of treats. Their only failing is their eggs are pretty small.
There’s a greenhouse about a mile or less from here and they carry a great variety of starts. They never have okra but honestly, even though I start them indoors they do better just direct seeding them in the garden.
I'm not giving up on Okra yet, I'm going to pot up a bunch and interspace them with the peppers. Weirdly, there are usually a couple varieties of okra available in a local nursery (Oregon coast isn't known as good okra country) so I'll get a bunch next trip into town.

It came with a hot house so I can extend the season.
That looks awesome! Especially the hot house topper.

We're Philistines and eat the store brand peanut butter. Peanut butter is a lifesaver, I always make sure we have a big jar with another as a backup. When I have a low blood sugar moment I always go for a piece of peanut butter toast.

Anyone ever transplant wild strawberries? Looked through my foraging book and google, looks like the mock strawberries have yellow flowers and there isn't any poisonous looks a likes. I found these at my in-laws gonna try and transplant. Safe?

Attachments

• 20220522_155904.jpg
    20220522_155904.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 1
Our garden Center gives away free racks of pallets. My husband and I have been collecting them to make garden boxes.
The more I looked at them the more I could see the potential as a chicken coop! So I talked him into helping me start the construction of one.
Then this weekend I told him I wanted it 2 racks wide. So he helped me get the 2nd one in place and I started boarding them in.
Tomorrow I am hoping to get the door made and board the rest in. And get the rest of the hardware mesh on the side ventilation gaps.
What do you think so far?
PS: I still haven’t made my garden boxes 😂
67257A7A-A321-4508-A14A-2BF513CEF0E4.jpeg

373B8D06-5613-4663-BB9B-41B40F002E96.jpeg
159D1F9E-53F5-409C-B7BF-EA12D386776E.jpeg
93A6C150-DE0F-49C0-9E6C-1381CE1D72B5.jpeg
C802D211-53DA-4CFC-91D9-2CF15574159C.jpeg
4A0A0B1A-9DC2-46D5-B815-C0B61762D6EC.jpeg

Anyone ever transplant wild strawberries? Looked through my foraging book and google, looks like the mock strawberries have yellow flowers and there isn't any poisonous looks a likes. I found these at my in-laws gonna try and transplant. Safe?
I was wondering the same. Wild strawberry is running rampant through my yard

Today I moved a huge pile of thatch and leaves onto the heavy soil garden. I had planned to move all the starts out of the green house today, but it's going to get down to around 40 tonight. That's a little low for the first night outside. They'll go out tomorrow.

When I harden plants off, I put them in my extra large dog crate and then cover the crate with sheets. I can take the sheet off for longer and longer times to get the plants used to real sunshine. It's supposed to be cool/chilly until the weekend, and then boom! back to the 80s.

I got a little more weeding done this morning, nowhere near enough. But it was 85 and muggy and my arm was starting to feel like I tore something, again.
Had to go fetch and babysit my niece from 12-4. With her "help" managed to finish weeding another bed. She likes to dig for worms to feed the chickens. 🥰
Short Thunderstorm rolled through around 5. Dropped 1/4" of rain and cooled it right down. Perfect working weather, 70 and breezy. Was able to get back out and put up the bean teepees and the wire overhead arch for my luffa and yardlong beans.
Its amazing what you can do with scrap fence, scrap poles and zipties. 😁
20220522_190544.jpg

Haven't done much but my husband helped me make a cute raised bed from pallet wood. The hard part will be deciding where to put it and what to put in it. This is my first year on the property.

The bed is 3'6" x 2'

View attachment 3118806
Love the raised bed! My DH helped me do something similar. The only part of this triple raised bed that we paid for was the two 2x4x8s at the bottom and the plastic lattice. Altogether, we spent less than $40. The rest is pallet wood. Of course, the labor involved in breaking it up was NO FUN until we figured out an easier and faster way to do it (hello circular saw).

Don't judge me on the lattice in this photo. It wasn't secured into place yet. It now makes an arch in between each bed.

20220502_190106.jpg

I have butterfly peas and runner beans planted for the lattice. I also added some curly parsley, pineapple mint, lemon balm, and chamomile planted in the beds too.

The outer beds measure 12" W x 36" L x 15" D. The center bed measures 24" W x 36" L x 15" D. This leaves a "ground space" bed on each side that's 24" L x 36" W. I have lettuce planted in each of the ground space areas. Hoping the flowering vines on the lattice which will provide enough shade for the lettuce to keep it from bolting.

Back
Top Bottom