What did you do in the garden today?

Voles can be more aggressive and will eat just about anything. I believe moles are pretty much blind, but voles are not.
Moles are pretty blind and really just want the worms and grubs. That is why a mole enjoys a healthy garden: worms! Gophers also dig holes and tunnels , but they want your produce instead of worms and grubs.

Voles: annoying rodents. Will tunnel and nibble/eat a huge variety. But they don’t raise up the ground like a mole or gopher. Last year voles tunneled through the pepper bed, a lot. It really stunted their growth bc their roots kept getting “air pruned” and damaged.

Beautiful morning! And it's my birthday.... Happy birthday to me. 😊😂

Looks like my baby's breath is sprouting! It's the one with 2 sprouts. I'm trying to grow both pink and white baby's breath. The other sprout is the San Marzano (3rd try for these)
20220527_094418.jpg

My sad, pathetic looking eggplant sprouts. Don't know what is eating them up. I'll spray them again with neem/insecticidal soap.
20220527_094933.jpg

Tomatoes, corn, zucchini, and beans are all doing well. Gotta spray tomatoes for aphids yet again though....
20220527_095025.jpg

20220527_095032.jpg

And lastly... I found this tree growing in my backyard fence last year. I thought it was a mulberry but now I'm not sure. Hardly ANY berries on it at all and they are super tiny. Not at all like the mulberry trees I remember as a kid. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? The tree seems to be made of a lot of smaller trees/limbs... Very similar to how a hazelnut tree grows. Nothing is over 6 ft tall so not a big tree, at least not yet.

20220527_100611.jpg

20220527_100656.jpg

Unloaded two 4-wheeler loads from my neighbor's greenhouse/farm and helped load 1 of those out from her greenhouse. I'll give some of these to my other neighbor later today along with our old greenhouse plastic so they can make her a large hoop house.

I probably now have at least 5 kiddie pools full of plants (only actually have 2 kiddie pools- so the dish pans I loaded up from neighbor yesterday come in handy).

Well guess I've joined the "what's digging up my stuff" group...each morning something has dug into the potato containers, then this morning the peppermint had been dug up, the wandering jew, and numerous holes all through the garden around tomatoes & basil!
Any ideas? Why would anything dig into a wandering jew plant?
Raccoon, skunk or possum looking for grubs. They prefer loose, moist soil so pretty much whatever you just planted.
Beautiful morning! And it's my birthday.... Happy birthday to me. 😊😂

And lastly... I found this tree growing in my backyard fence last year. I thought it was a mulberry but now I'm not sure.
Happy birthday! The leaves don't match up with the cultivated mulberry, but it could be a wild type. If the berries remain few and small, you could potentially graft a better variety on it.

Back
Top Bottom