What did you do in the garden today?

Do you have rocks, pavers, or bricks lying around? Surround whatever you don't want dug up NOW. Chicken wire cages can work too if you have landscape staples. Agree it's a grub eater, raccoon or possum probably
I have ½" hardware cloth leftover from where my original run collapsed and the new run isn't as large as it was.
Would they not try to climb the wire?
I just hate caging everything...why wouldn't they be getting into the garden? It's only 2' off ground.

I have ½" hardware cloth leftover from where my original run collapsed and the new run isn't as large as it was.
Would they not try to climb the wire?
I just hate caging everything...why wouldn't they be getting into the garden? It's only 2' off ground.
Could be a skunk, they won't climb two feet. Or just oversight by another critter. This is my dig prevention where I can't put a fence - flagstone, wire, old shelving, whatever you can find. Ugly but functional. https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/pxl_20220428_172400362-jpg.3083356/

No, it's the correct seed. That's what Rogosa Violina Gioia is supposed to look like. I was just kidding about the acne. And cross-pollination wouldn't effect the current season's fruit, only any plants that came from the seeds produced by the fruit.

of course I would not know it. we have 1 word for pumpkin and squash. I spent so much time to goole difference between squash and pumpkin. I still cannot recognize them. variety - what would that mean, lol.

I am so tired of going out to check chickens and water all to find tons of stuff dug up!!! Completely killed a squash vine! My purple basil is half dead! Sage is probably gonna die cuz it has dug it up twice in a week! It even dug up daisies, lambs ear, and tulip and thyacin (spelling?) bulbs! Turned over medium size pots of everything just wreaking havoc!
Called son and told him I need him to come beat the thing to death (in the dark of course) or shoot with bow n arrow! It is so frustrating!!!
Only good thing is it hasn't done this to the raised bed at all!
Yall think ground hog or the ferrel cat? Or both?

sorry to hear that. I don't think that cats do so much damage. sounds like mole, ground hog, etc.

of course I would not know it. we have 1 word for pumpkin and squash. I spent so much time to goole difference between squash and pumpkin. I still cannot recognize them. variety - what would that mean, lol.
Over here, in the US, pumpkin only refers to the roundish orange winter squash. Normally smooth skinned, rarely warty, occasionaly white. We use Squash or winter squash for most everything else that produces a hard skinned fruit.

A pumpkin is a winter squash. But not all winter squash is a pumpkin. I think it's just timing and how we use certain types that makes it a pumpkin - mostly round (can be any color - orange, white, grey-green...), most can be used to make a pie, and most are harvested end of October (in the USA) just in time to carve for Halloween or Harvest Festivals.

Does that clear it up a little?
Excellent description. One might think you've done it a time or 1,000 ;)

I dream of having maple trees someday and tapping and cooking my own syrup. Yum!
You'll have to move to a cooler climate. The sap comes up after the tree has gone dormant in cold weather. Temp below freezing overnight, above during the day are required to get the sap pumping up the trunk.

One customer didn’t like them, said they looked “wrong.”
Sometimes it is just what one is used to. I worked with a guy who liked, and would only eat, canned peas ( :sick ) because that is what he grew up on.

Freshly laid eggs not only have more yellow/orange yolks, the yolks "sit" higher (at least until the hen gets a bit long in the beak). My feed used to have marigold extract added to "orange up" the yolks. I thought the color would fade badly when the mill stopped putting in the extract but if they did fade it wasn't noticeable.

Eggs in the store from egg factory farms are grade A, those laid by your hens at home are AA, AAA if you get and use them soon after being laid. So yeah, they look "wrong" ;)

no arrow at our feed bags.
My feed bags don't have an arrow either. I just always knew this, growing up with horses. I had to teach DH to put the bags upright in the can or I couldn't open them. he didn't believe me. :rolleyes:
I can't stomach that pancake syrup or "table syrup" nonsense either. For a couple of years I had given up eating pancakes altogether because I, as a teenager, would have horrible heartburn when I went to bed later. Then I was introduced to real maple syrup and pancakes were back on the menu with no issues. I dream of having maple trees someday and tapping and cooking my own syrup. Yum!
It is a lot of work! My brother & nephew both make maple syrup. I think my bro hires someone to do it & he gets lots from his big property up in VT. My nephew taps a few maples in his yard & boils it down in a cast iron pot over the fire - more for fun than anything else. He only get a couple jars here & there.

I have 225 feet of chicken wire in my cart, I'm going to run it along the bottom of the garden fence. My fence now is 7 foot high deer net but the chippies & rabbits chew through the bottom of it to get in. So...it may look a little dumb but I don't want to do 7 feet tall of chicken wire so I'm going to go 1 foot apron, 2 feet up at the bottom over the deer netting already there. That should stop everything but the squirrels I think. It'll have to wait till winter though, too much growing to work around now. Does that sound like a dumb idea?

Back
Top Bottom