What did you do in the garden today?

I've never seen a gopher here but that doesn't rule it out. We have mound tunnels all over the place but I assumed they were moles because the dogs catch them from time to time. But it's my understanding that moles eat grubs, not roots... We do NOT have any exit/entry mounds that I've seen like I would expect from a large burrowing animal like a groundhog or gopher.

As for the syrup thread, here's a link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tree-sap-gathering-and-syrup-making.1351273/
Gopher or some type of ground squirrel gets my vote.

Working outside today - very hot. The sprinkler or the soaker hose was on somewhere in the garden much of the day.

Harvested All the Early Italian Garlic, then bundled it to cure from the rafters. About 160 heads of garlic - some kinda small, and some rather large, but most of a middle size.
View attachment 3171090

Harvested all of the Candy Apple Red onions, and some of one of the white onions. Using the empty brooder for curing since it has a mesh lid.

View attachment 3171089

Beans are climbing....but there is always that ONE that needs to race to the top. Its only got maybe 1 foot to go.
View attachment 3171091
LOVE this stringing method. Those poles arent attached are they?

We were supposed to get rain today. Today didn't get the memo. :( Glad we got some on Wednesday. I'll be watering everything on Sunday, probably. We're getting together with friends tomorrow.

I picked 4 blueberries and maybe a half cup of black raspberries this evening. The raspberries are wild, so some places it's a bit of a pain to get in and pick them.

I also snipped some dill and green onions from the walking onions. Those went into homemade ranch dressing. Oh, wow, is that stuff good! It's not as sweet as store bought, but everything store bought has so much sugar in it nowadays. Ranch dressing does NOT need sugar. I'm betting it'll be even better tomorrow after it sits in the fridge overnight.

Here she is working on it. She was almost an inch and a half long.
Screenshot 2022-07-01 20.17.38.png

Gopher or some type of ground squirrel gets my vote.
Gotta be a gopher. The carrots and chives are all inside the hoop house. If it were a squirrel, they'd have to tear through the netting or majorly burrow under the walls. I check the perimeter every day since a squirrel tore through the netting back in May. I fixed the hole and put down some liquid fence. It hasn't bothered the hoop house since... Whatever it was is burrowing for long distances because there are no entry/exit mounds anywhere in the garden area.

The cross poles at the top and bottom that the strings are attatched to. Keep wanting to call them spars for some reason.
If they are only held on by the tension of the twine it would make clean up a breeze in the fall.
Ahhh…those top snd bottom bars are screwed on, but are the thinnest part of the structure.

All pumpkins are squash but all squash are not pumpkins . There are 4 main groups of squash with pumpkins in each group . So not all pumpkins can cross breed . Confused even more now ? :D

WHAT??????

Variety is the name given to a cultivar .

that's what I am trying to explain whenever I go to buy seedlings. last year I went to buy zucchini and they gave me squash (probably not pumpkin).

pumpkin seeds kill tapeworms and squash seeds don't. that's why I did that much research. I found information that squash has a thick stem while pumpkin has tiny (pig tail looking) stem.

Back
Top Bottom