What did you do in the garden today?

I have 2/3 of the tomatoes pruned and trellised. I wore a bandana over my nose and mouth today because I've been having a sore throat, and am wondering if a big part of it is because this happens (from working with ONE plant, and I have 36 total):
D16C530E-445C-479B-8640-9CFDAB88A018.jpeg

And I wasn't showering until hours later or the next morning, sooo..... yeah. Pollen. My throat was better Wednesday night (I slept all night long), and I didn't work on the tomatoes on Wednesday. So, I'm hoping the bandana and soon-after shower helped and I sleep tonight. If not.... well..... I'll finish on Sunday so I can be done with it.

My next chore will be waging war against the weeds.

When I finished the tomatoes today, it started sprinkling. There was a light rain (light enough to play in with the pupper) for a while, once we came in, it POURED for even longer! I had even checked the forecast while I was working, and no rain was expected until about 3 pm (which was accurate), and then it was supposed to be about 0.01". We got 0.85"! It was very welcome, but I hope to be able to feed my plants within the next few days.

Okay I have dill pickle recipe these my grandma put to a cookbook that the county did in 1961.
13 cups water
6 cups vinegar
1 cup salt
Boil together 15 Minutes. Pack cucumber in quart jars.
To each jar, add 1 tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. alum and plenty of fresh dill.Pour boiling water brine over cucumbers until jar is full and seal with old fashioned with zink covers.
Put jars in large containers and pour boiling water over them to cover them. Cover to keep steam in.
Let stand till cold.
A little garlic can be added to each jar.

There is 5 day pickle (Sweet Pickle)
1st. day Cover with boiling water.
2nd day salt brine (strong enough to float a egg).
3 rd day Drain salt brine and pour hot water over pickles.
4th day Split pickles, add alum to boiling water about 1 ounce to gallon of water.
5th day Pack in jars. Turn upside down to drain. Then cover in thick syrup as follows:
2 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 clove garlic
Pickling spice to suit taste.
Boil syrup, Pour on pickles that are packed in jar.
Seal.

Congratulations!!! Yall can party everyday now!

Question on cucumbers again...sorry yall
So gave some to my neighbor and she keeps goin on how differently they look from her cucumbers. I told her there are tons of different varieties of everything out there.
But she's saying you can't pickle just any cucumber...the ones I have are labeled on seed packet as "slicers".
Does that mean I can't use em for pickling?
She said I should be letting them grow much larger than like 5-6"...but MIGARDENER, I think it was him, said the bigger they are the larger the seeds. And I don't want large seeds.
Education needed- thank yalll!

a friend of mine pickled slicers. she cut them first. they were somewhat long with medium seeds.

It’s going to be a wet weekend. But look at that low temp for July on Sunday! But the nighttime temps aren’t so low, so the plants won’t mind too much.

09C5328C-B19C-4B12-8948-31D3B049F838.jpeg

I’ve got to thin the beets later today…looks like I didn’t scatter the seeds very well as there are some clumps of beets and they are growing fast. Also plant to sow some more carrot seeds where I removed the turnips -it’s a small 4’x1.5’ area, but it gets a surprising amount of light considering it’s at one end of the bean towers.

So, I read that peas are a good companion to squash. Should I plant peas on the trellis with my squash? I wouldn’t plant them until August, though, and the squash are growing well and just thinking of flowering.

First Squash Bug eggs found on some leaves yesterday. Removed them, but the hunt begins.

SVB: no more seen or caught since last week. I might remove the covers over the pumpkins and summer squash this coming week and might just try to wrap the larger part of the pumpkin stems with some netting or nylon to deter any that might show up.

Have yall ever tried to transplant a flowering cucumber plant that's got bout 3 vines off it already during this time of year?
We did cuz it was supposed to be dead (lol) but then took off and it ended up being a good thing the others all died off cuz they were in awful placement in raised bed.
Anyway we tried to save it by moving it, got all the roots and fertilized it well and watered really well and it did not recover.
Just wanted to see if that's cuz it is so hot and humid, or cuz I did something wrong in transplanting it.

Back
Top Bottom