What did you do in the garden today?

On ultra-light? Oh my, now I know you're my kind of people! I catch everything on ultra-light gear, that bass I fought was hooked on a tiny crappie jig with 6lb test. It fought harder than anything I've ever caught.

Just went out to the zuc bed and surprise, there were some that had gotten nearly too large. I'll make a giant batch of fritters later and freeze the excess.
I mostly fish saltwater and always the chance and the hope, that a a good redfish or speckled trout or something even bigger, will grab hold of my lure/bait. I too love ultralight and have caught a few Specks and reds that were barely legal on my UL rig on 4 lb line. But is usually broken out when we run into Sandies and mangrove snapper which are smaller fish. Such a blast, a 2 lb fish on 4 lb. test!

On ultra-light? Oh my, now I know you're my kind of people! I catch everything on ultra-light gear, that bass I fought was hooked on a tiny crappie jig with 6lb test. It fought harder than anything I've ever caught.

Just went out to the zuc bed and surprise, there were some that had gotten nearly too large. I'll make a giant batch of fritters later and freeze the excess.
:highfive:

According to the data as of yesterday, we are supposed to get an inch total between Monday and Thursday. Again...that was as of yesterday. I've been watching the changes closely and they keep dropping the totals on the hourly forecast. Yesterday they were predicting a third of an inch on Monday afternoon. That's dropped to .17 inches by today. I'm getting the feeling it's either going to skip us or barely be enough to even wet the ground...

Praying I'm wrong!

Yesterday's harvest. :eek:I'm SO happy with the size of the zucchinis! If anyone has any ideas what to make with them, I'm open to suggestions. I found the cucumber hanging behind the plant, so, pro tip, check your cucumber plants often! The tomato harvest was throughout a couple of days, but most of it was from yesterday. Also, I've got three green tomatoes- anyone know what to make with those?
2022-08-06 19.29.27.jpg

2022-08-06 19.30.48.jpg

2022-08-06 19.31.00.jpg

2022-08-06 19.31.14.jpg

I was too lazy to change out my lines after moving here. I left my deep sea lines on my long poles. You should see how far I can cast with those puppies. LOL.
I have yet to have a bass snap a marlin line :p
Remember that monster tomato I harvested last week?
Now I'm getting the polar opposite off another plant, one that was mislabeled at the shop. It's a tommie tomato. It takes 4 to weigh 1/8th of a ounce (1 gram each) Idiotically small. DH says they're good, but the plant is HUGE and harvest is a PIA.

Last edited:
Showers to the north, we won't get anything. Ugh, it's getting really bad here.

I have a bush squash on a trellis in the cattle panel hoop, it's now taller than the cattle panel! I'm not quite sure what to do with it. :idunno The 2nd one isn't far behind. I also have 2 volunteer sungold tomato plants growing on the fence to the chicken run. Sometimes I stand in the garden & toss them to the chickens, but I never make it. LOL

So, not only is my dumb chicken still broody, despite dunking & being in jail for 5 days, I now have a sickie. My prettiest bird too, a BLRW. Not quite sure what is wrong with her, I thought EYP but she stopped laying when she was broody a couple weeks ago & then went into a molt so I don't know if it can be that. I have her in a crate in the shop with the AC on - DH isn't too happy about that, he hasn't had the ac on all year. :lau I didn't think she was going to make it this afternoon & almost put her down, but she actually looks a little better so I decided to see if I can do anything.

I had a similar thought about fall yesterday morning while picking the wild blackberries (got another 1 lb 14 oz). There were a whole lot more bugs on the fruits. Quite a few were either covered in ants, covered in fruit flies, or had a wasp on them. Before that, I'd see a few ants or stink bugs or JB, but yesterday had me thinking that they know fall is coming.

Why do you have the stem wrapped in foil?
I wrap the stem in foil in hopes that the borer beetle (sp?horrible lol) don't bore into the stem and destroy the pumpkin. It works sometimes not always.

Just to add to this post...found a rogue pumpkin bigger than my "main giant" pumpkin. Different vine too...found it in a tangle pile of pumpkin and butternut leaves. They are so tall this year and we did diddly to combat grass (last season we do that). It's possibly 40+ pounds...exciting now my husband and I will place our pumpkin bets! And each baby the one we choose lol!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom