What did you do in the garden today?

Picked some maters, squash, cukes & beans. Cleaned the coop too after the final worming. Still have a broody & a sickie. Sickie hasn't eaten, drank or pooped (that I can see in shavings). Not looking good.

I need to water but it's getting a little late (aka hot) to be out there, probably tomorrow. Day 7 of the heat wave, so over it. :sick

Yesterday it made it just into 90 degrees...today the high is 90. That is only a maybe as the hourly forecast says 87 at peak heat (and no odd night heat). This afternoon after the forecasted possible rain I have to go out and set up pumpkin 2 and the race begins lol! I lost all my zucchini squash to the humid wet but that is my fault I should have put straw down and didn't. I'm going to cover 3 of my boxes with black plastic to kill back the grass then second to last week of August mulch and dirt them then plant garlic,greens and over winter carrots. I've never done this yet I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens. One side of the garden is getting knocked down next weekend and mulch is going down followed by dirt mix,compost and more straw. My herb boxes are ready for a replant. And seed buying is going to happen early...I don't know if you all have heard but there has been some muttering about seed shortages (especially from the more popular commercial seed folk) due to so many new gardeners.

Yesterday it made it just into 90 degrees...today the high is 90. That is only a maybe as the hourly forecast says 87 at peak heat (and no odd night heat). This afternoon after the forecasted possible rain I have to go out and set up pumpkin 2 and the race begins lol! I lost all my zucchini squash to the humid wet but that is my fault I should have put straw down and didn't. I'm going to cover 3 of my boxes with black plastic to kill back the grass then second to last week of August mulch and dirt them then plant garlic,greens and over winter carrots. I've never done this yet I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens. One side of the garden is getting knocked down next weekend and mulch is going down followed by dirt mix,compost and more straw. My herb boxes are ready for a replant. And seed buying is going to happen early...I don't know if you all have heard but there has been some muttering about seed shortages (especially from the more popular commercial seed folk) due to so many new gardeners.

I've noticed the seed shortages as a trend for a while and now that I'm hearing that mainstream news is suggesting people start gardening to supplement their groceries I'm confident you're correct that it will be worse this year.
It's finally my time to shine as my seed hoard will save the world! :lau:lau:lau

I've noticed the seed shortages as a trend for a while and now that I'm hearing that mainstream news is suggesting people start gardening to supplement their groceries I'm confident you're correct that it will be worse this year.
It's finally my time to shine as my seed hoard will save the world! :lau:lau:lau
Haha! I'm hoping my seed hoard makes it to next year! I've got a white shepherd dog who loooooves to peel open seed packets! He was an odd pup he's an odd old man. My husband always tells me "I love you and your only oddity is that no matter the store you go to you come back with 6 or 7 seed packs" lol!

I think I'm gonna write down spring crops see what I have and probably still buy a smidgen extra just in case.

The garlic is done for the year, at least until I plant next year's crop. I got about 220 cloves. 60 to plant, the rest to eat over the next year.
IMG_2684.JPG

Yup, that's one clove! :eek:

Haha! I'm hoping my seed hoard makes it to next year! I've got a white shepherd dog who loooooves to peel open seed packets! He was an odd pup he's an odd old man. My husband always tells me "I love you and your only oddity is that no matter the store you go to you come back with 6 or 7 seed packs" lol!

I think I'm gonna write down spring crops see what I have and probably still buy a smidgen extra just in case.

My husband called me from a garden shop once to see if I needed some seeds. I literally told him to pick 5. I didn't even care what they were. I apparently just like collecting seeds, lol! 😆 He came home with some fun ones I've never tried before though!

I just separated my fall/early spring seeds into a separate container so that it will hopefully help me to stay organized with my upcoming fall planting. Fingers crossed because I haven't tried fall gardening here in years!

Back
Top Bottom