What did you do in the garden today?

Harvesting the last batch of oriental lilies~
6782.jpg

Question for you gardening folk...Do you think having a garden is going to become necessary? I probably should stay away from the news but the "predicted" famine for 2023 sounded like they didn't expect anyone to garden 🤷🏻‍♀️.

how many people have land for gardening? my concern is how to keep my animals and garden safe once people from the cities come to the country. guns are illegal here but I need one (or a few).

And those of you who make zucchini fritters (so yum), is it better to freeze the mixed batter, the cooked fritters, or the shredded zucchini (after salting and draining)? I love these so much and I want to have some this winter.
I have never tried to freeze the fritters but I know some do. They aren't great to me being low carb & not using flour so I don't generally make them any more. I do shred, salt, squeeze & freeze in 1C piles lots of zucchini (& cucumbers for that matter) for breads or soups or even the chickens. Maybe it was @Wee Farmer Sarah who froze them?

Up early today, need to water before heading to the camp ground. They are saying we may actually get some significant rain next week. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat the corn fungus. I think I'd gag trying.

I did the same today! Probably about half of what you have because it will go bad by early spring since I have no cellar or cold storage. Hardneck is very hard to braid, I much prefer softneck. I do 75% softneck, it stores longer too. But man the hardneck is much more potent!

I trimmed up the garlic, pulled savers for planting in the fall & saved some intact for braiding, for sis. I trimmed up the onions & bagged them, held a few aside to braid for my sis also. Just waiting on the shallots to cure to add to her braid & then its ALL DONE! I think I got about 75 lbs of Spanish onions in total, great variety of sizes, which I like because you don't always need a giant onion! I had the garlic hanging in the loft of the shop & I cut a string I didn't mean to & about 8 bulbs crashed from the 2nd story. Pulverized some so I pulled the bashed up bulbs, separated them & brought them in to eat first. I annoy myself sometimes. :gig

Put poor Janie down today. That one stinks cuz I liked her. It should have been her stupid EE sister that is constantly broody, never lays eggs & RUNS if I even walk out the door. Why's it always the good ones? :he (an old pic from when she was little)
View attachment 3218751
She was a beautiful girl, I’m sorry you had to put her down.

It's 74 degrees humid but looks like it's going to rain soon. Checking the weather looks like it might rain the rest of the day after 9am. I got some cucumbers! Since the mouse is gone now. Looks like I'll have 5 good sized butternuts, three Hubbards and some cute fairytales (dunno if those are tasty). Rosie and Rodney my roos were making insane noise this morning and all the girls were huddled under the porch. It was just after day break but there on the fence sat the biggest owl I've ever seen! It flew off just as I got to coop. Massive!

Question for you gardening folk...Do you think having a garden is going to become necessary? I probably should stay away from the news but the "predicted" famine for 2023 sounded like they didn't expect anyone to garden 🤷🏻‍♀️.
I think more people will give it a try to at least supplement, probably happening already because people are scared. They might not be talking about it, but they are. I have low confidence in humanity, so if it gets that bad
1CEB510F-211B-4F9B-92DE-C5E8143899C7.jpeg

I've kept mine boy short for years now and I love it. SO cool on hot days, I just splash hose water on my head while watering.

I feel the same, and as well as being more potent, the hardnecks seem to have bigger cloves. I planted too many last year though since they only last so long, I probably lost a good third or more to drying out, turning brown, or sprouting.

She was a lovely girl and I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs

And those of you who make zucchini fritters (so yum), is it better to freeze the mixed batter, the cooked fritters, or the shredded zucchini (after salting and draining)? I love these so much and I want to have some this winter.
Freeze after cooking. Also, I found it better to freeze on a cookie sheet first, then put in a bag so they don’t stick to each other.

I have never tried to freeze the fritters but I know some do. They aren't great to me being low carb & not using flour so I don't generally make them any more. I do shred, salt, squeeze & freeze in 1C piles lots of zucchini (& cucumbers for that matter) for breads or soups or even the chickens. Maybe it was @Wee Farmer Sarah who froze them?

Up early today, need to water before heading to the camp ground. They are saying we may actually get some significant rain next week. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat the corn fungus. I think I'd gag trying.
Good very early morning. Yes I froze the cooked fritters and they were great @NewBoots. Just don’t brown them all the way. Also, if you need to go gluten free you can substitute the regular wheat flour with the 1 to 1 GF flour. Today I’m planting a 10 to 12 foot row of peas. I soaked the peas overnight so they should germinate quickly. DD wants to plant garlic this year so I’m trying to work that into the garden plan. The community she just moved into has garden space available so she can garden there next Spring but the garlic needs to be planted soon. I need to spray my tomatillos again. The potato beetles are eating them up. Too bad because they are really developing a lot of the little paper lanterns. I have another 1/4 pound of okra pods to put in the freezer. Not sure what I’ll be picking this morning.

how many people have land for gardening? my concern is how to keep my animals and garden safe once people from the cities come to the country. guns are illegal here but I need one (or a few).

We only have an acre of land but you honestly can grow so much on a small small space so I hope there are a lot more people doing it.
People are more likely to go for what they can see. Some of our yard has a privacy fence but there's also a large visible area with chain link. We're planting clumping bamboo back there for privacy but it's all going to take longer than I would like...I hope it doesn't get to that point but you never know I guess.

Back
Top Bottom