What did you do in the garden today?

Today for at least the next10 days will be the only day above 84 it'll be 90. I'm ecstatic but a bit confused by this very cool August. While June was almost intolerably hot. I have some tomato sets on a couple different heirloom tomato plants which I thought weren't going to do anything but look pretty. Pumpkins are coming along...have only lost one squash to borer beetle. Should be a nice day.

I happened across two articles this morning one from Australia and one from the U.S both stating something along the lines of "have chickens? You probably consume 40x more lead" or "growing veggies, don't give them to your children they have 10x the heavy metals"
Hmm seems suspicious to me. Read the articles, the aussie one compared eating a "free range urban egg" to eating lead paint. Both were very broad and vague. Seems there is a push to get people out of the country side 🤨

sadly there are very few, if any, genuinely 'scientific' magazines left anymore. It's all agenda driven. True science used to be, here, go find out the truth to this. Now it's all, here's some money to prove this or that, then write a favorable article about the 'proof' you dug up.

We'd like you to write an article about how good roundup is, you are a science magazine so use 'scientific' stuff to explain it......plus we will be buying 200k worth of advertising in your magazine... type stuff.

aaron

sadly there are very few, if any, genuinely 'scientific' magazines left anymore. It's all agenda driven. True science used to be, here, go find out the truth to this. Now it's all, here's some money to prove this or that, then write a favorable article about the 'proof' you dug up.

We'd like you to write an article about how good roundup is, you are a science magazine so use 'scientific' stuff to explain it......plus we will be buying 200k worth of advertising in your magazine... type stuff.

aaron
You are dead on. I was shocked last week when I saw my back yard neighbor spraying round up out at the fence line. She has horses she doesn't want eating the weeds but I mentioned that it probably wasn't very considerate of my bees. She said "oh didn't you hear roundup is now okay for bee! Awesome huh"
No. Not really

Question for you all, I seeded lettuce about 2 weeks ago when we had that heat wave (dumb, I know). Nothing has sprouted even with our temps into the 50s at night and 70s during the day this week. Do I need to reseed again? Not one freaking sprout…what the heck, do you think something ate the seeds? Usually if I seed at the wrong time things will just come up when the temp is right. I NEEEEED romaine again. I refuse to buy it in the store until we get snow. Lol

I would reseed, lettuce usually comes up pretty quickly. They don't like drying out though so the high temps probably dried the soil out too quickly. You can even lay a wet towel over where you planted until they germinate. I haven't tried that trick yet but I've seen people have great success doing it.

I happened across two articles this morning one from Australia and one from the U.S both stating something along the lines of "have chickens? You probably consume 40x more lead" or "growing veggies, don't give them to your children they have 10x the heavy metals"
Hmm seems suspicious to me. Read the articles, the aussie one compared eating a "free range urban egg" to eating lead paint. Both were very broad and vague. Seems there is a push to get people out of the country side 🤨

lol, Ummmm that's so situational that I can't even believe it's an article. 😅 Do they think we're all sitting on lead contaminated soil?

aaron

SO TRUE

You are dead on. I was shocked last week when I saw my back yard neighbor spraying round up out at the fence line. She has horses she doesn't want eating the weeds but I mentioned that it probably wasn't very considerate of my bees. She said "oh didn't you hear roundup is now okay for bee! Awesome huh"
No. Not really

Yeah, someone was trying to tell me they've never had problems with Grazon and that it was given a bad name...it's a persistent herbicide that can remain in the soil for years and kills many crops. It will also pass right through horses and cows when they eat hay that has been sprayed with it so when someone unknowingly puts that manure on their garden they could ruin that soil for years...
I'm never rude to people that have a difference of opinion. You do you, but I was stunned that there was actually someone out there that was actually FOR the stuff. My parents paid $350 to have a lab test their herbicide contaminated soil and even the lab technicians said they were fortunate it wasn't one of the "bad ones". Freudian slip maybe? lol
Even with it being a "less" damaging herbicide they're still remediating the soil this year to make sure they aren't eating it. I could jump down a deep rabbit hole of my thoughts on that, so I'll stop. 😆

Yeah, someone was trying to tell me they've never had problems with Grazon and that it was given a bad name...it's a persistent herbicide that can remain in the soil for years and kills many crops. It will also pass right through horses and cows when they eat hay that has been sprayed with it so when someone unknowingly puts that manure on their garden they could ruin that soil for years...
I'm never rude to people that have a difference of opinion. You do you, but I was stunned that there was actually someone out there that was actually FOR the stuff. My parents paid $350 to have a lab test their herbicide contaminated soil and even the lab technicians said they were fortunate it wasn't one of the "bad ones". Freudian slip maybe? lol
Even with it being a "less" damaging herbicide they're still remediating the soil this year to make sure they aren't eating it. I could jump down a deep rabbit hole of my thoughts on that, so I'll stop. 😆
You aren't the only one lol 😆 I'm amazed by folks and what they will believe.

Back
Top Bottom