What did you do in the garden today?

You are dead on. I was shocked last week when I saw my back yard neighbor spraying round up out at the fence line. She has horses she doesn't want eating the weeds but I mentioned that it probably wasn't very considerate of my bees. She said "oh didn't you hear roundup is now okay for bee! Awesome huh"
No. Not really
Since when is this stuff good for bees or anything anymore? They got billions of dollars of cancer lawsuits going on right now? It won't kill the bees, even IF that is true, they still bring the stuff to YOU and give you cancer? No thanks Ill take a pass on that one.

Tell her to try salt water, it works wonders under fences, or just pour a line of salt down, it'll take the grass / weeds out. Plus its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Aaron

Another fun one is someone trying to explain the 'touch theory'.
Oh you can use roundup around fruit trees and stuff, it's entirely safe for you since it does not 'touch' the fruit. Ummm ???? touch???

yah, if you sprayed carrots, it's in the soil and touches the carrots so it'd contaminate you, but a fruit tree, it only touches the roots, NOT the actual fruit so it can't hurt you.

That's where you smile, nod your head and walk away, it's not worth even trying.

Aaron

Since when is this stuff good for bees or anything anymore? They got billions of dollars of cancer lawsuits going on right now? It won't kill the bees, even IF that is true, they still bring the stuff to YOU and give you cancer? No thanks Ill take a pass on that one.

Tell her to try salt water, it works wonders under fences, or just pour a line of salt down, it'll take the grass / weeds out. Plus its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Aaron
I went and got my container of vinegar, water and a drop or two of dawn...does wonders. Didn't know about salt but it makes sense. People just don't want to put two and two together.

Washed the gook off the windows in between rain showers. Just finished and it's sprinkling again. I have a sheeting material in the water, so I don't care if it rains.
Rain +dirty windows= ugly mess.
I even cleaned the screens.
The wisteria has gone nuts and needs trimmed back, but that sacrifices next year's blooms. That's ok. I really should hack them to the ground. One that was nothing but a dead stick from a box last fall and into the start of spring is now 12 feet tall and 7 feet wide! INSANITY. I guess they really like where they are.

I happened across two articles this morning one from Australia and one from the U.S both stating something along the lines of "have chickens? You probably consume 40x more lead" or "growing veggies, don't give them to your children they have 10x the heavy metals"
Hmm seems suspicious to me. Read the articles, the aussie one compared eating a "free range urban egg" to eating lead paint. Both were very broad and vague. Seems there is a push to get people out of the country side
I saw the same article I think! They think they can “scare” us into buying factory eggs. I’m waiting for my mom to send me the article in a panic. What other lies will be spewed to make people afraid to be self-sufficient?
You are dead on. I was shocked last week when I saw my back yard neighbor spraying round up out at the fence line. She has horses she doesn't want eating the weeds but I mentioned that it probably wasn't very considerate of my bees. She said "oh didn't you hear roundup is now okay for bee! Awesome huh"
No. Not really
Tell her you hope the roundup doesn’t give her cancer…
I would reseed, lettuce usually comes up pretty quickly. They don't like drying out though so the high temps probably dried the soil out too quickly. You can even lay a wet towel over where you planted until they germinate. I haven't tried that trick yet but I've seen people have great success doing it.
Thanks, I will try this!

Vinegar and water solution works well, also!

Question for you all, I seeded lettuce about 2 weeks ago when we had that heat wave (dumb, I know). Nothing has sprouted even with our temps into the 50s at night and 70s during the day this week. Do I need to reseed again? Not one freaking sprout…what the heck, do you think something ate the seeds? Usually if I seed at the wrong time things will just come up when the temp is right. I NEEEEED romaine again. I refuse to buy it in the store until we get snow. Lol
I know the feeling... I sowed more green beans and squash last week when we were SUPPOSED to get 4 days of rain. Didn't get a drop... And even though I watered, nothing has sprouted. 😕

No. Not really
What an idiot... Tell her that Roundup will kill her horses faster than any weeds. Horses won't eat toxic weeds anyway unless they don't have any grass or hay. 🙄

Got the dirt in the lettuce bed, got it seeded & watered. Can't wait for lettuce again! I took the bug netting off the rutabaga because I had NO idea how big the leaves got & they ran out of room, in a week something has eaten 90% of the leaves, lol. It was an experiment year so hopefully they keep going, but if they don't I'll know for next year. I could probably harvest some now, they're quite big, but I kind of thought they needed a frost to sweeten up. I'll have to google.

Got everything watered & got the squash tied up, trimmed & picked. It's chicken stuffed squash boats for dinner tonight & the rest of the tomato soup I made yesterday. Picked quite a few peppers, they're starting to ripen now. Still need to pick some sungolds & then call the garden done for the day.

Back
Top Bottom