What did you do in the garden today?

We are heading into a bit of a deep freeze at the end of next week so hoping to have more melting between now and then. The original fence wire I ordered was damaged in shipping so I ordered some from HD. Will be picking that up later this morning. I don't go there very often so I get a chance to see how much of the garden seed rows they have ready. This wire I'm getting from them is on sale because as most retailers they are trying to get rid of old stock before the end of the month. It's only 14 gauge, 2 by 4 inch dog wire but it will work fine as a perimeter fence. I plan on using the less expensive plastic garden mesh around the additional garden beds I'm putting in this Spring.
Rabbits chewed right through the plastic mesh on me before. There was a big hole about 18" wide that a rabbit made and happily (not for me) went in and out.

Where do you get this? I used to be able to get it in my usual grocery store, but not for a few years. LOVE that in coffee!
I've bought it at different times from my local grocery store, Amazon, or Azure Standard. I don't use it often. Mostly in treats for chickens or horses. I bought a gallon jug in 2021 and it is still full.

Snow today and even more snow expected tomorrow...

Somebody mentioned prices increasing so much lately... I looked up the gravel and leveling sand I need to put places down in the greenhouse and the price is insane. I need about 10-12 cubic feet of each just, but that's 20-24 bags of each at $4-$5 each! I'm not dropping $200 in gravel and sand for a 48 sqft area just. I well be calling the landscape suppliers around here to hopefully get a better deal, but I'll have to shovel and wheel the material then.

Snow today and even more snow expected tomorrow...

Somebody mentioned prices increasing so much lately... I looked up the gravel and leveling sand I need to put places down in the greenhouse and the price is insane. I need about 10-12 cubic feet of each just, but that's 20-24 bags of each at $4-$5 each! I'm not dropping $200 in gravel and sand for a 48 sqft area just. I well be calling the landscape suppliers around here to hopefully get a better deal, but I'll have to shovel and wheel the material then.
At this point the cynic in me thinks that everyone is simply raising prices because everyone is doing it.... 🙄

At this point the cynic in me thinks that everyone is simply raising prices because everyone is doing it
Reminds me of when there was a "discussion" among who knows whom that "they" *might* raise the speed limit from 55 to 65. Almost immediately, people started going 65-70. And it was still 55.

Good afternoon all. Hubs helped me hang the wind chimes this afternoon and we measured the shade garden for a new top and the bottom half on all sides but the west. These will be white and 50% shade. We should be good for a few years for that now.

@CNJ thanks so much for the link to that video! It has opened a whole new world! Lol. I’ve done some extensive research and will continue that this summer while I give some of that a try. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus about what exactly can be grown with this Kratky method, but some people claim you can grow just about anything. Others say greens only. I’m willing to experiment regardless, especially since it requires no electricity. We get such little rain that I’m not too terribly concerned with that, but if it works out I may just turn part of the sun garden into a shade house with a sloped solid roof to keep water out.

Last edited:
When I hear “rumors” about any commercial products I go to the sources. The most recent “recall” on animal feed from the FDA was on a few lots of Dumor layer feed being labeled as starter grower crumbles. There were other recalls on rabbit food. Mistakes happen and I’ve noticed in the past that some people are quick to blaming the big industries for anything and everything that goes wrong in their little world. Basing my opinions from what I hear on social media is not something I practice. JMHO!
:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom