What did you do in the garden today?

Yay, temps are up to -1F outside. When I took their warm mash to the chickens their coop was 2 above zero inside the coop. Lots of sun today. I also got a still warm egg this last trip. I finally got that basement storm door wrangled in. The metal on the handle loses its grip when it’s super cold and windy. A real pita on a cold night.

Yay, temps are up to -1F outside. When I took their warm mash to the chickens their coop was 2 above zero inside the coop. Lots of sun today. I also got a still warm egg this last trip. I finally got that basement storm door wrangled in. The metal on the handle loses its grip when it’s super cold and windy. A real pita on a cold night.
Wow! It’s way colder here!

Wow! It’s way colder here!
Where are you located? I hope all is well. Is your area normally cold? And it’s not a competition. Those folks who live in more moderate climates where winter temperatures are rarely below freezing are understandably challenged when abnormal conditions arrive.

Last edited:
Where are you located? I hope all is well. Is your area normally cold? And it’s not a competition. Those folks who live in more moderate climates where winter temperatures are rarely below freezing are understandably challenged when abnormal conditions arrive.
I am in ME. Yes. February is normally brutal here.

I did an experiment with with sifted Kellog's Garden Soil (A) and sifted peat moss (B). I compared the seed sprout reaction in a mixed blend of A&B to plain sifted peat moss. I sprouted the seeds in a petri dish first and transferred them when the leaf was starting to push out from the seed. This morning when I checked the plain peat, the sprouts pushed out while the A&B blend had no response.

In conclusion, based on just one night response I will use only plain peat to sprout my tomato seeds. Also, after I fill and press my seed tray with moistened plain peat, I will make sure its 1/8 inch below the top of the tray. Then I will place a seed on top of each cell and loosely sprinkle moist plain peat on it. Then water it in with a squirt bottle, I think I will have better results this way than pushing each seed down with a chop stick. I have a tendency to push the seed down too deep.

In my observation with sprouting seeds in a petri dish, the seeds will sprout and grow in a petri dish, so it would also grow on the surface of plain peat with the point being it should not be planted too deep.

Last edited:
I am in ME. Yes. February is normally brutal here.
I heard that even Maine and northern New Hampshire were affected by this polar blast. I’m sure you are accustomed to bitter winter temps but I’m in north central Massachusetts and sub zero temperatures are not a regular occurrence here. Thank goodness it’s warming up a little bit today. Right now it’s a balmy 8F without the windchill.

Pavers are all in. I need to get the polymer sand to lock then in, and I'm going to put a bit of grout in to fill some tiny gaps at the front and back edge. That's it though. Now I need to get gravel on the sides, build benches and move the metal "potting" rack in. There's still the task of installing the vent fan and the cold air vents too, but that's just a few holes and screws/bolts.

20230204_114459.jpg

Pavers are all in. I need to get the polymer sand to lock then in, and I'm going to put a bit of grout in to fill some tiny gaps at the front and back edge. That's it though. Now I need to get gravel on the sides, build benches and move the metal "potting" rack in. There's still the task of installing the vent fan and the cold air vents too, but that's just a few holes and screws/bolts.

View attachment 3395491
That looks great!!!!

This morning when I was looking at my hybrid Dutch bucket experiment. I was thinking that the roots of my tomato plants should be able to to thrive with the moist air space in the bucket with a water reservoir of only 2 inches. Because on the inside of the bucket and cover, every part is wet from condensation. I am currently studying the effects of the water reservoir level.

When I first started this project all the buckets had a hole at 2 inches and I put a 90 degree elbow with a piece of pvc pipe to bring the water level up to 7 inches, leaving a 2 inch air gap from the bottom of my 5 inch net cup. I had a 90 degree elbow on top of the half inch pipe turned toward the side of the bucket so roots wouldn't go in, but it did and clogged the drain, so I took off the extension and turned the two inch level 90 towards the bottom.

I think the 2 inch water level will have better results than the 7inch water level. I made another bucket for comparison with the hole drilled at 5 inches and I turned the 90 on the inside down and I put an extension pipe to reach half an inch off the bottom. The roots seem to float on the water level, so the drain shouldn't get clogged. I am not sure if the drain will clog with the 2 inch water level, since the roots hasn't reached the bottom yet.

DSCN0036.JPG
DSCN0037.JPG

Last edited:
This is an update on my Kratky 5 gallon buckets with the water level kept at 1/2 inch above the bottom of a 5 inch net cup. Air roots grew out of the 5 inch net cup and adapted to the water level. The cherry tomato plants are green and holding fruit. The plants are drinking about 3 cups of solution a day and I have been refilling it every other day.

Back
Top Bottom