What did you do in the garden today?

Ginger from the store…

Anyone stick it in a pot in dirt in the windowsill?
Anyone grate it first & then freeze it?

I usually just throw it in a bag in the freezer but am looking for easier ways. I find it a pain to peel & then grate it when frozen. Our season isn’t long enough to grow it outside & then store it, it doesn’t have long enough to develop it’s skin is my understanding.

Hope you all are enjoying you day. If any of you is interested, Israel is in a mess right now. All roads are blocked, the protesters are killing each other with fireworks. The conservatives and Orthodox Jews are in a strange war, and Ramadan has just started, so it’s just the beginning.
It's amazing to hear about what happens halfway around the world yet not see anything about it in the news here. Not to offend anybody, but it also socks me how religion leads to so much turmoil - every major religion has peace as a major core tenant, yet wars are raged in the name of religion throughout history and all today. :(

I have had Basil growing perennial, fish fertilizer stinks to high heaven but works well.
I made my fish fertilizer with brown sugar, next time I will use molasses. My fish fertilizer had maggots on the floating pieces, a fly must have snuck in when I checked it before.
I am glad the smell went away and the bacteria broke everything down. Its been stewing for at least 3 months.

I haven't tried it yet, I am afraid to get that stuff on my hands.

I have had Basil growing perennial, fish fertilizer stinks to high heaven but works well.
I've not messed with fish fertilizer. I can only imagine the stench of mashed rotting fish... no thanks. Even if it's a powder, it's still mashed rotting fish once you wet it. Blood meal is another option, funky but probably not as bad. I generally stick with compost - plenty of N and P thanks to the chicken manure in it plus all the kitchen scraps.

Ginger from the store…

Anyone stick it in a pot in dirt in the windowsill?
Anyone grate it first & then freeze it?

I usually just throw it in a bag in the freezer but am looking for easier ways. I find it a pain to peel & then grate it when frozen. Our season isn’t long enough to grow it outside & then store it, it doesn’t have long enough to develop it’s skin is my understanding.
My supermarket ginger grows when I plant them.

It's amazing to hear about what happens halfway around the world yet not see anything about it in the news here. Not to offend anybody, but it also socks me how religion leads to so much turmoil - every major religion has peace as a major core tenant, yet wars are raged in the name of religion throughout history and all today. :(
I think it was Pythagorus who described it as a dark cave where prejudice and superstition exist. He believed that mankind could leave this dark cave with the light of knowledge and formed a religion around this idea, but the Christians burnt him out of town.

• How did the Pythagoreans die? The reports of Pythagoras ’ death are varied. He is said to have been killed by an angry mob, to have been caught up in a war between the Agrigentum and the Syracusans and killed by the Syracusans, or been burned out of his school in Crotona and then went to Metapontum where he starved himself to death.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom