What did you do in the garden today?

I managed to get outside today.
Planted a bunch of carrot seeds - 4ftx6ft section of raised bed is now carrots. The remaining 4ftx2ft section of that bed has a few lacinato kale seeds planted. I planted the kale towards the edge of the bed with the hope that they won't grow over the carrots but they can grow over the edge of the bed. I thought about getting the potatoes in, but I need to till that section and crate a raised row to plant them in and there's a burn barrel that's going strong right in the way. I didn't think it trough when I lit that fire... Oops.
We also got some more boards up, framing the sides of another short raised bed - only two raised rows left to convert to raised beds.

I bought some onion bulbs from Lowes, but didn't plant them until a month latter. They were almost dried up and some were rotten. I threw them in a shallow planter tray and covered them with pro mix. Today, I saw that they had vigorous roots, so I planted them in a cement tub. I also, planted some pearl onions that I bought from the grocery store, they look like baby red onions. I wonder which one will get bigger.

Last edited:
Fair warning: Thor snores and Bernadette bites.
========
Busy day of errands. NIce out 60, but rain to snow tonight, so cramming in as many chores as I can as well. I finally broke down and installed a time/light sensing chicken door. We'll see.
I stopped at a garden shop to see if they had EG tomato seeds as I didn't save any last year. NOPE. But I wandered into the tree lot and found a treasure. A 9 foot aspen, instead of 350$ was on sale for 25$. UM YES PLEASE! Not a thing wrong with it that I could find and it's ready to bud so... no idea.

Sorry for the terrible picture. 36 inch square and 44 tall.
My project was adding a cupola from a neighboring ranch to the top of my hoop house. I repaired it (it fell off their barn in 90 mph winds), and I painted it and DH helped me get it to the top of the hoop house last night near dark. I still need to paint the hoophouse to match, it is a different shade of green.
Inside the cupola is a bat house and a bird ledge for nesting. I'm hoping for owl or doves, even barn swallows, but will probably get stuck with starlings. Ugh. Oh well.
View attachment 3443936

From up on the road it looks like the skeleton of an old country school house.
What are EG tomatoes ?

Pictures?

@gtaus has built some raised beds using pallet wood.

Thanks for the shout out @Sally PB

Here are some of the pictures I took last summer when I was building some pallet wood raised beds. I use the hügelkultur method of filling the beds with a base of logs, branches, wood chips, followed by a layer of organic matter, and then finally a 1:1 mix of good quality top soil and my chicken run compost. I got just about everything set up last fall in this bed, but need to fill it up with the topsoil/compost this spring before planting. Also, the temporary small holding boards on the top corners will come off - they were used to keep everything square while I moved the raised bed to its final destination.

1679804574140.jpeg

1679804600900.jpeg

1679804628273.jpeg

If you are interested in pallet projects, I invite you to check out the thread Show Me Your Pallet Projects!. That thread initially spun off this gardening thread just to highlight some of the pallet projects I built for use in my gardens. But it has evolved into many different pallet projects being shared by the BYC members.

My pallet wood raised beds are 4X4 feet because of the lumber I salvage off the pallets. Of course, being wood, you could make them any size. I limit my beds to a 4-foot width mainly because that's about as far as I can comfortably reach across the bed. Also, a longer bed will need some cross supports to prevent the sides from bowing out.

I am very happy with my pallet wood raised beds, especially considering that I was looking at paying over $100 per bed in the cost of wood alone at the time, I built these pallet wood raised beds for the cost of a handful of screws and nails - the wood was all salvaged for free.

I also built some pallet wood flower planters for Dear Wife last summer, and she will be planting in them this spring when she decides where to locate them.

1679805367810.jpeg

:lau I ended up building 3 different sizes of those pallet wood planters. The first was too small, the second one was too large, but the third one was just right! But they all will get used.

Last edited:
This past week I built a pallet wood/reclaimed lumber 4-tier seed starting shelf to start growing some tomato and pepper plants.

Forgot to include a picture of my pallet wood 4-tier seed starting shelf I put together.

1679805650859.jpeg

I was looking at buying a metal shelf for the seed starting, but they were between $80 and $160 in the big box stores. So, I decided to save some money and used the 2X4's from a number of pallets to make the shelf frame, and I had some reclaimed shelving boards for the shelf itself. Total wood cost for me - Zero dollars!

Well, OK, I used a handful of screws in the build - so maybe I'm out about a dollar or two in total cost. The money I saved I put into purchasing some LED shop lights for grow lights and 3-inch net pots for seed starting.

I have installed some LED shop lights as grow lights into the shelf since this picture was taken. Getting ready to start some seeds in 3-inch net pots in a few days.

:fl This will be my first year attempt at starting seeds in the house for transplant outside later. Hope it goes well....

I FINALLY found cilantro seeds. I had to look at 3 or 4 stores before finding cilantro. It's a if they cilantro was left out of the herb mix that the stores are carrying.
I'll plant some before we head off on vacation at the end of the week. The DIY grow tent is holding humidity pretty well so they should be fine while we're gone I think.

Fair warning: Thor snores and Bernadette bites.
========
Busy day of errands. NIce out 60, but rain to snow tonight, so cramming in as many chores as I can as well. I finally broke down and installed a time/light sensing chicken door. We'll see.
I stopped at a garden shop to see if they had EG tomato seeds as I didn't save any last year. NOPE. But I wandered into the tree lot and found a treasure. A 9 foot aspen, instead of 350$ was on sale for 25$. UM YES PLEASE! Not a thing wrong with it that I could find and it's ready to bud so... no idea.

Sorry for the terrible picture. 36 inch square and 44 tall.
My project was adding a cupola from a neighboring ranch to the top of my hoop house. I repaired it (it fell off their barn in 90 mph winds), and I painted it and DH helped me get it to the top of the hoop house last night near dark. I still need to paint the hoophouse to match, it is a different shade of green.
Inside the cupola is a bat house and a bird ledge for nesting. I'm hoping for owl or doves, even barn swallows, but will probably get stuck with starlings. Ugh. Oh well.
View attachment 3443936

From up on the road it looks like the skeleton of an old country school house.
That is so cool! I’ll hope for owls :) Nice score at the tree lit too, you seem to have been in all the right places at the right time!

Back
Top Bottom