What did you do in the garden today?

@igorsMistress
image.jpg

When they fall, you can crack them with a hammer and eat the white inside. They’re supposed to be oily but our tree is a seedling, (instead of a cutting) and so it’s not really oily but more sweet watery.

Cotton seeds sprouted!!

“Egyptian Green”. This sprouted very well. 3 more pots (of nine) need to sprout, but I see some evidence.
E6D52A09-8293-455B-8BA2-A173D27EBB61.jpeg

“Red Foliated White”. Yes, it looks like a bright red stem poking up! But the cotton will be white.
7ACB8157-0646-4AA2-970C-60DBC5BCD1F3.jpeg

We also have “Tan” cotton seeds, and a few are sprouting, they are just mounds in the pot right now. They are slower to germinate it seems.

Storms and tornado warnings last night. But, from what I’ve read on local community forums, it’s possible tornados touched down 10-20 miles south. Possibly to the north too. But, no official local updates yet. We did lose power for a couple of hours last night, and it’s very windy today. Up to 50 mph gusts. I’ll go out to check on things soon. Spouse let out the chickens this am, and teen is managing goats right now, so I haven’t been out yet.

I just started the eggplant, okra and bell pepper seeds. My first batch of sourdough bread is in it's first rise and I just tweaked my garden plan again. Quite a few of my tomato seedlings are getting their secondary leaves. The leeks are all doing well. And of course the rain is pouring outside. Fingers crossed DD and I will be planting peas and fingerling potatoes next weekend. At least the rain is having a positive effect on the grass. It's actually looking a bit greener than brown. It looks like it maybe okay to put my French lavender plants outside. I'll drag my fig tree out as well. I'm curious to see if it survived the -15 F blast this winter. I'm not sure how the English lavender did yet. It's looking a little brown, but it's still early.

@gtaus this video made me think of you

Thanks. That is a good video and one I have watched before. I am getting more interested in the Kratky hydroponic system and have actually been looking in the stores for some suitable bins. I think the Kratky system is probably one of the few options that might let me grow fresh greens in our Minnesota winters.

Besides the containers, I am looking at what I need to mix the hydroponic solutions for growing the food. Nobody in my town has hydroponic supplies, so I will have to do everything by research and maybe online order of supplies. However, I continue to look for water soluble fertilizer that might work in the Kratky system that might be sold on our local shelves. I don't hesitate to order online, but sometimes the shipping cost of a single heavy item, like a box or bottle of fertilizer, ends up being much cheaper at our local farm stores when they come on a big truck by the pallet.

Thanks. That is a good video and one I have watched before. I am getting more interested in the Kratky hydroponic system and have actually been looking in the stores for some suitable bins. I think the Kratky system is probably one of the few options that might let me grow fresh greens in our Minnesota winters.

Besides the containers, I am looking at what I need to mix the hydroponic solutions for growing the food. Nobody in my town has hydroponic supplies, so I will have to do everything by research and maybe online order of supplies. However, I continue to look for water soluble fertilizer that might work in the Kratky system that might be sold on our local shelves. I don't hesitate to order online, but sometimes the shipping cost of a single heavy item, like a box or bottle of fertilizer, ends up being much cheaper at our local farm stores when they come on a big truck by the pallet.
From what I’ve read the fertilizers for ground plants may lack micronutrients found in soil whereas hydroponic fertilizers typically add them in most cases.

I’m using a Masterblend combo for my veggies and greens. This combo would be enough to last you a long time, you may be able to find it in smaller amounts somewhere else. You only use 12 grams of masterblend, 12 g of calcium nitrate and 6 g epsom salt per five gallons of water, not very much. This way you don’t pay for water, just the nutrients
https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-...&sprefix=masterblend+combo+kit,aps,184&sr=8-2

Also, there’s this stuff you can get that helps prevent root rot, I can’t remember what it’s called right now. You may want to look into that also, you should be able to find it on any search engine.

From what I’ve read the fertilizers for ground plants may lack micronutrients found in soil whereas hydroponic fertilizers typically add them in most cases.

I’m using a Masterblend combo for my veggies and greens. This combo would be enough to last you a long time, you may be able to find it in smaller amounts somewhere else. You only use 12 grams of masterblend, 12 g of calcium nitrate and 6 g epsom salt per five gallons of water, not very much. This way you don’t pay for water, just the nutrients
https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4-18-38-Complete-Combo-Fertilizer/dp/B072F2BL9D/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2VU2B0C5TLECD&keywords=masterblend+combo+kit&qid=1680372347&sprefix=masterblend+combo+kit,aps,184&sr=8-2

Also, there’s this stuff you can get that helps prevent root rot, I can’t remember what it’s called right now. You may want to look into that also, you should be able to find it on any search engine.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I will certainly look into the Masterblend.

I have not heard about root rot in the Kratky sytem. From what I have learned, as the plant drinks up the water, the water level drops in the bin creating an air gap. The main drinking roots will continue to grow into the solution while the roots above the water level will turn into air roots, pulling oxygen from the air. I never heard any talk of root rot. I will have to look that up. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom