What did you do in the garden today?

Bottles of kefir?

Knock on wood, I've never had a bottle of kombucha explode.
Yes, water kefir. I've started adding fruit juice to it to change up the flavors and that really creates a lot of carbonation!

I've lost a few milk kefir jars in my time as well, due to my penchant for liking things with fizz and trying to do too many things at once. 😂

These bottle were square. I don't know how I ended up with those, but they are weaker than the round ones.

I've given away bottled drinks to friends and, with the loss of these two, I ordered another half dozen. I hope they are good ones. I might need to investigate buying more expensive bottles. I heard that if you buy ones specifically made for beer, they tend to be thicker glass.

ONE customer at the sale today, not including the end of the block kids that wandered in at closing when I was cleaning up. I gave them each a spinner ring, a luffa sponge and some seeds.

I'll not grow for sale again. I'm done.
170 plus plants left over. I already donated a couple hundred to the local community garden and to all my neighbors to save them from the compost.

Sad to think what people are paying in town at this moment for tiny junk brought in by bonniebell.

Oh well.
This is why small business/variety dies out.

We have lost so much by not supporting local businesses.
I know you worked hard for this. I'm sorry - they lost out.

For the rest of my day today, I actually spent some time in the kitchen cooking. I rarely do it anymore, with so much outdoors that needs to be done, but it was nice to do after having had to clean the whole thing from the glass and juice.

I picked out a few little weeds from the strawberry beds. Talked to a gorgeous mockingbird that was flitting about the gardens, until he went after my raspberries and I chased him away. My welcoming nature only goes so far. 😂

I spent 2 hours fertilizing the orchard trees and fruiting shrubs. I've got spikes on order but they are really struggling, so I gave them some candy to get them by - Miracle Grow drench should help them this week.

I also fertilized the garden plants of which I forgot to incorporate fertilizer into the soil when they were planted. :he

Realized that I can possibly use my old yard swing frame for either a butchering station or a BBQ grill station, IF I can figure out some way to securely affix a top that won't fall apart. I never came up with a decent idea for it when it was a yard swing, though, so... It's a little small for the BBQ idea.

IMG_20230527_200608811.jpg

Added some raw tilapia to the trap.

Bindweed is our nemesis too. Also hate thistle. It’s been popping up more this year.

We have been using this on certain weeds. It seems to work pretty well. Bindweed is pretty tenacious though, so we are hitting it more than once. But not quite as nasty either.

IMG_2008.jpeg

There is another product I’ve used on the bindweed, and it works well. I’ll need to find it. I buy it at Menards, in a red spray bottle I think.

Oh wow! That is huge! How old is your asparagus? I had some ordered but never came.

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss! That will be a beautiful way to remember her and celebrate her life as you go out each day!
The asparagus bed is 3 yrs old. 😊 I harvested a few stalks this year but I've been giving it plenty of time to get established.

It was cool, windy, and rainy all day, so I didn't do anything in the yard or garden. It's just as well, I worked outside yesterday enough to tire me out. I just had a little stiffness in the calves, and arthritic pain in my elbows and hands. Baby aspirin helps.

Midday I checked on the chick(en)s, fed the older ones grapes, and made chick starter feed "mush" for the six week old Dominiques. I placed it in one of the shelters that the bigger Sussex can't access, ha!

The waterers were so much cleaner than yesterday, before I raised them up higher.

Then I went back inside and attacked the mending pile. I chatted with my dh, who kindly turned off the television while I sewed.

Went out after supper to check on the chicks. A tidal wave of birds greeted me at the door...and this time the Dominiques did, too!!! :yesss:

They stayed behind the bigger chicks but definitely understand that Giant brings treats. I tossed a few grapes at the Sussex in front but also chucked a handful of wild strawberries to those at the rear.

"Joel" on the top of the roost. The others did not challenge him there, but perched below.
IMG_20230527_143033811~2.jpg

wow, have you all been busy !! I have just watered my garden this morning, need to get the tomatoes, egg plant, cabbage and chilis into the beds urgently, but hubby hasn’t emptied out the pots yet ( too heavy for me, I’m not allowed any heaving lifting cos I need hip replacement in both hips, yay :( )
I had a THR in 2009. It was not difficult, worst part of the experience was the post-surgical swelling, but ice helped, a lot. I was back to work 7 weeks later. It's probably the easiest joint replacement to undergo.

Today the melon seeds were planted!
20 varieties. Cantaloupe/muskmelon types, watermelons, and honeydew types. Two were planted at the trellis, and they are smaller melons, so hopefully the trellis works. I really want some melons this year- last year’s attempt was unsuccessful.

Back
Top Bottom