What did you do in the garden today?

Finally got the garden planted. 25x25 vegetable garden, 10x10 herbs and perennials. My 10x10 cool season garden is coming along except the beets show no sign of life, so I reseeded in the veg garden that gets some filtered sun in afternoon.

My garlic never came up. It was in a deep tub, covered all winter with straw. Is it possible it drowned with the late spring snow and still frozen below frost line?

It can be done, there are a lot of good tomato grafting videos on Youtube and Johnny seeds sell complete grafting kits. This is a picture of my Pineapple tomato plant grafted onto a spoon tomato root stock. I hope the spoon tomato stem catches up to the Pineapple tomato stem.

The (Pimpinellifolium) wild tomato strain has the TYLCV resistance and has been recommended for this virus in the end conclusion of a TYLCV scientific experiment.

I will try grafting onto your Everglades cherry tomato next.

View attachment 3523160View attachment 3523163
@CNJ
I wonder what the outcome would be when grafting a single plant onto two separate (maybe even different variety) rootstocks. I'm thinking grafting up on the rootstock stems high enough that the rootballs could be set in the soil about a foot apart. That would double the amount of nutrients the grafted plant would be getting, wouldn't it? Crazy idea?

My garlic never came up. It was in a deep tub, covered all winter with straw. Is it possible it drowned with the late spring snow and still frozen below frost line?
That would be a possibility. I learned to plant my garlic deeper than what I read online, with the tip 3-4" below the surface, and then mulch heavily on top of that. I can remove the mulch in the spring.

It's planted in very sandy soil too, so it drains very well.

@CNJ
I wonder what the outcome would be when grafting a single plant onto two separate (maybe even different variety) rootstocks. I'm thinking grafting up on the rootstock stems high enough that the rootballs could be set in the soil about a foot apart. That would double the amount of nutrients the grafted plant would be getting, wouldn't it? Crazy idea?
If it added disease resistance from two root stock, I don't think the professionals would cut off one of them like they do. However, I wonder if grafting a TYLCV root stock onto a Heat Master tomato plant will add the disease and heat resistance if both roots are left on the plant?

What did you do in your garden today?

I picked a bunch of Rattlesnake green beans and Cherokee wax beans, a few tomatoes, three eggplants, some broccoli shoots, and jalapenos. Pretty happy with today's harvest!
thumbsup.gif
Cut millet for the chickens, cut clover for the chickens, pulled weeds (bet you guessed it) for the chickens, broccoli greens for the chickens. Ate some turkey figs (first three of the yr). Decided not to water, will see if it rains? Checked the patch of sunflowers and wild flowers I planted for the new coop I'm building for the silver laced flock. Contemplating starting a few dozen parsley basil cilantro and maybe a few others from seed today. The chickens love fresh herbs and it keeps them super healthy!

That would be a possibility. I learned to plant my garlic deeper than what I read online, with the tip 3-4" below the surface, and then mulch heavily on top of that. I can remove the mulch in the spring.

It's planted in very sandy soil too, so it drains very well.
Ah, well then it is prob all rotten bc I planted in black garden soil 5 inches deep. The pot froze, had at least 3 ft of snow on it-that melted, then it froze, melt, more snow-twice.
Well, I have a tub full of rich soil so maybe plant a tub of herbs just for the chickens.

Planted 3 pumpkin varieties, green zucchini, yellow zucchini, and yellow summer squash. Then, on trellises, I planted butternut types, and cheese types -they are on the smaller side, so should be ok. All seeds planted. But the farm pumpkin patch near me just planted theirs this weekend too.

It’s hot and dry -supposed to be all week. Yesterday we deeply watered most things.

I picked a bunch of Marigold flower today and cut the green seed part off and put the flower peddles in my tea. I ended up eating all the flower peddles. I found out that it has colon cancer fighting properties. I don't know if its true, but I like the texture. I am going to use it as a garnish for my soups and salads. I will eat it everyday after I brew my tea for an eye vision experiment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom