What did you do in the garden today?

Morning all. Not much happening in the garden. Critters are killing me. Dang rabbit chewed a hole thru my bug netting over the strawberries looking for her babies that the dog ate. :barnie All my dahlias are popping up, but the dumb turkeys broke one stem off. Not sure if it will regrow or if there was another eye or not. They love to hang out here first thing & dust bathe in the edging around the garden. Said brats:
messages_0.jpeg

I have 2 new egg layers today too! I had to lock the big girls out so the littles could lay in peace.

I have a wake tonight & a funeral tomorrow & that will take everything I have out of me (still not well after back surgery), but I do need to water at some point.

Just a quick pic of my early morning planting of peppers and eggplants in one of the pallet wood rasied beds I built last year. I use the square foot gardening method in my raised beds and these were all planted one plant per square foot.

1685548831578.jpeg

Of course, I had to top off the raised bed with 2-3 inches of topsoil/chicken run compost mixed 1:1. I use the hügelkultur method of filling the bottom with wood tree trunks, branches, wood chips, and maybe a layer of organic material before the topsoil mix. Every year I can expect to top off a few inches more as the soil settles and the wood decomposes underneath. Using chicken run compost revitalizes the soil for feeding the plants.

BTW, all these plants were started in my house about 8 weeks ago when the snow was still 2 feet high out in the garden. It was my first year attempting to start seeds inside the house, and I am pretty happy with my results.

I wonder what the outcome would be when grafting a single plant onto two separate (maybe even different variety) rootstocks.
I just ordered some Everglade cherry tomatoes online and will receive them tomorrow. I am going to put one Everglade seed in one corner and a Heat Master seed on the opposite corner of my seed tray, so I can graft the two different plants together. I plan on tying a knot with grafting tape to hold the side graft together.

I am thinking about leaving both root stocks on just one plant for comparison to the ones I wean to one root stock. I don't think it can handle the TYLCV in my yard. I am pretty sure the single Everglade root stock will do better.

Now that I think about it, its strange how the grafted top keeps the fruit and plant appearance with different blood running through its veins.

Last edited:
I just ordered some Everglade cherry tomatoes online and will receive them tomorrow. I am going to put one Everglade seed in one corner and a Heirloom seed on the opposite corner of my seed tray, so I can graft the two different plants together. I plan on tying a knot with grafting tape to hold the side graft together.
Cool! Have you found anything online about people trying that method of grafting?

I watered and prepped the area where the sweet potatoes will go. I got an email that they should be here tomorrow.

I also planted the honeysuckle vine I bought. I want it to grow fast and cover the ugly Dish Network dish.

I have never had so many blueberries on my plants! I don't know if they drop some, to match up better with what the bush can ripen or not. Does anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom