What did you do in the garden today?

Today, I am trying something different. I made a pizza with sauce and without the pan, and cheese. I put the cheese on after 10 minutes and cooked it for another 2 minutes. The golden color on the underside of the crust was much more uniform than with a pan.
DSCN0370.JPG
DSCN0372.JPG

Last edited:
Today, I am trying something different. I made a pizza with sauce and without the pan, and cheese. I put the cheese on after 10 minutes and cooked it for another 2 minutes. The golden color on the underside of the crust was much more uniform than with a pan.
View attachment 3827798View attachment 3827799
Used to coat the top with olive oil and precook and then put sauce and toppings. I don't remember how long ECT because this was the 1980s :old

Too true! And lots of people wouldn't even think about that. They say BT doesn't affect anything beneficial, but I take that with a grain of salt. We have such a bad problem with gypsy/spongy moth caterpillars that I need something that is more targeted to them.
FYI BT is considered organic. Only works on caterpillars grubs and such. Paralyzes the digestive system. Very targeted for caterpillars.

Big day:
100 onions sets planted, some planted for green onions some for dry onions.

7 Pepper plants, 1 sungold tomato starter plant planted. I even was able to divide 2 potted pepper plants in 2! I planted the overwintered pepper plants and the jalapeno plants have blossoms on it. BONUS! :wee :celebrate
I replanted the cuke starts that never came up. Planted my baby cuke plants in ground by trellis.

Planted my blackberry plant I bought in Feb. in dormancy :eek:from wm .

Sprayed yard since there was minimal wind FINALLY!!

Filled hens layer feed, threw out my ol' broody girl from coop, ( non sterile eggs) so she can drink and eat.
It doesn't look like much but my body feels like I hand dug a well!

I started a few more seeds today: lettuce, marigolds, sage, rosemary and zinnia seeds that I saved from last year.

And I planted tomatoes in the garden. Five Roma, 2 Oregon Spring, 2 Stupice, 2 Black Krim, 3 Large Cherry and 2 Early Girls. That should keep me in tomatoes over the winter. I still have three large cherry tomato plants left, but not sure where to plant them.

I tell ya, the feelings can't even be put into words, my love for helpless or injured creature just overwhelms & immediately sidetracks me. Anything else on the day's agenda is put on hold & rescue takes precedence. It's ticked off many over my lifetime 😆.

I recall I was about 20, I had a few dates with a guy, who invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at his dad's & on my way I saw 2 horses running around...right into the roadway. I immediately pulled over & spoke softly to them, holding out my hand & rustling my other hand in my coat pocket, as if I had treats. I did have those Canadian mints, remember those...they were round & pink or white, looked like chalk but they were good mints. Anyway, the horses curiosity calmed them down & eventually they trotted over to me. My hands smelled like the mints. I gave each horse 1 mint & then they were glued to my side lol. I made my way slowly to the only house I figured they could be from...it had a large fenced area. When I started getting closer to the fence they ran off, snorting & kicking up their heels gleefully. What brats! They got out & were Not goin back in. I knocked on the door & asked if they had 2 horses...she looked out & saw the horses frolicking & headed towards the roadway again. So now it was me, the owner & her son trying to gather & persuade 2 horses back to where they belong. We got them back in, but needless to say, I was late for dinner.

I explained what happened, but his dad was ticked. He said some snide comments...like we were waiting to start dinner & you were out having fun. 🙄 There were many more smart ass comments, I can't even recall them now, but instead of making me feel bad, I lost respect for the man, especially later when he was trying to fix something & swore so foul-mouthed (Much Worse than when fire ants make me cuss). I saw the way he treated others...really nasty. I felt bad for his son but I also witnessed that bad temper at times in him.

The following week he came over as we were going to go see a movie, and he got ticked off that I needed 15 minutes to staple gun some polyethylene over the pigeon pens, since we had an approaching storm with sleet, ice & snow that would be blowing in about 2am. Well, now was the time to secure the pens, while it's still light & I can see what I'm stapling. I'm sorry, but getting to a movie 30 min early & where we sit, is Not as important as my feathered family. He was going off about it! I told him go see the movie alone & I broke up with the guy! Don't ever come between me and animals. Not ever. Because when it comes down to it, the critters will win!

Well, sorry for the long story. I got the sacroiliac shots & I'm on ice packs & rest. It is cold, rainy & windy here all day today. The garden is getting watered! That's a good thing. Indoors, I can separate my tomato seedlings & put into larger pots. They're doing great. I still have 3 Brussel sprout seedlings clinging to life...not sure about those.

Ok, have a great day!

we have a proverb: every obstacle is for a good cause. without those 2 horses you wouldn't got to know that family well.

Back
Top Bottom