What did you do with your chickens today?

I attempted to hand feed a couple of our skittish hens.. they're terrified of the head hen of our flock, so still not used to it! Hopefully they'll warm up to us soon. :fl
Wow, nice! My chickens will only eat out of my hands if it's a tomato. :lau Took them forever to warm up to us. Maybe try sitting in there with mealworms in your hand to get them used to you.

Today I am giving the flock the spoils of my trip to the grocery store yesterday! I asked the produce manager if our local grocery store what they do with the scraps they don’t sell… they put them on a rack outside for anyone to take! There was nothing wrong with any of my finds. So the flock is getting:
- kale
-parsley
-tomato
-plum
-broccoli
-basil
-peppers
-cabbage
I’m so excited to check these totes daily now

IMG_7056.jpeg

I fed them and collected eggs this morning. This afternoon, I cleaned the coop and moved it to. A new area of pasture. I cleaned out the fridge and gave them a bunch of leftovers. Then I caught my two big girls and doused their legs with oil and Vaseline. They look like they may have the beginnings of scaly leg mites.

I have 5 x 5 week old pullets and one mumma hen. Yesterday afternoon I saw them after a short holiday. They’ve grown so much and I missed them! Yesterday I cleaned out all feeders and waterers and the nesting boxes but today I moved the coop and re-erected the playpen around it with hubby’s help. We handled and hand-fed them. The mother hen is very trusting of us so the hen raised chicks are too. Tomorrow they will love their new yard and clean grassy coop.

Last edited:
I have 5 x 5 week old pullets and one mumma hen. Yesterday afternoon I saw them after a short holiday. They’ve grown so much and I missed them! Yesterday I cleaned out all feeders and waterers and the nesting boxes but today I moved the coop and re-erected the playpen around it with hubby’s help. We handled and hand-fed them. The mother hen is very trusting of us so the hen raised chicks are too. Tomorrow they will love their new yard and clean grassy coop.
Oh, that's awesome! What breed?

today I had to help my Polish roo off the roost because he always gets up there and is scared to get down *big chicken*, help a half-blind chicken down *I don't know how she gets up there in the first place*, and gave them some scratch grains.
*Note: My single white Leghorn, Astrid, sneezes like crazy every single time I throw scratch for them because the dust gets in her nose XD I was actually worried for respiratory reasons, but she seems totally fine so its very funny*

Back
Top Bottom