What did you do with your flock today?

Yesterday I played with the goslings.
Picked up 3 American buff goslings for my goose that has been sitting on non fertile eggs for about 38 days. She is not sure of them yet, but Percival, my gander, took to them right away. He's doing a great job already.
20200510_122826.jpg
20200510_121926.jpg
Beautiful! :love

Yesterday I took some pictures of my goslings too!
ps cropped_1_DSCN3709.jpg
ps cropped_1_DSCN3707.jpg

Ive been a busy Mama today. I've pressure washed and sweeped out my Coop. and allowed everything to dry. I reloaded all the pine shavings for another mos. -Before cleaning out again. I checked my flock of 6 hens that just began to lay for mites. We built a 12x25 foot outside run for them yesterday. (My Mothers day present I wanted) No more free range. (To hard to keep my GSD in check). Sat out under an umbrella in the run and took video of them Dusting, rolling and having a good time. I ate watermelon and shared with them. I think thats enough for me in one day.

Attachments

• 20200510_201055.jpg
    20200510_201055.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200510_201008.jpg
    20200510_201008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I had my tribe meetings throughout the day regarding the proposed population increases.

I removed Myth’s egg stash first thing this morning when she got off them to eat drink and poop and have a chat with the others. I explained to Notch her rooster that financially things were a bit difficult at the moment what with the lock down and the virus problem. Knock who doesn’t like Myth mentioned that I may as well have let Myth sit and hatch anyway given she kills her babies and stalked off giving Myth a couple of spiteful pecks on passing.

"What do you mean no more chicks!"
P5133503.JPG

Myth looking pissy after egg confiscation.
P5133509.JPG

Notch just letting me know Donk has gone off to sit on some eggs.
P5133496.JPG

Tribe 1 is up to date on the current crisis mainly thanks to Tap who likes to keep up to date with what’s going on in the outside world. Mel is sitting in the tribe coop and I explained to Cillin that I’ll be evicting her at some point today. Cillin wasn’t looking forward to the fallout when Mel starts kicking off about the confiscation of her egg stash.
Fat Bird of course was mainly concerned about whether their was likely to be a reduction in rations and treats. Quite rightly she pointed out that the walnuts would not be ready for picking for some months yet.
Overall they took it quite well.
P5133488.JPG

Moon and Tap and Hurry who have all shown an interest in having kids but are young and optimistic seem to believe that it will all be over by the time they’ve got their egg stashes sorted and voiced their intent to carry on regardless. Fat Bird threw Hurry off her nest shortly after.
Hurry.
P5133483.JPG

Moon.
P5133489.JPG

Fat Bird having thrown everyone else out.
P5133490.JPG

The most difficult meeting was with Tribe 2. Out of all the tribes here they are the most recalcitrant bunch. Punch, the senior rooster in particular who makes sure he passes the story told to him by his mother (Blue Spot) and father (Harold) of the unjust incarceration his parents endured and the great day of freedom, down to all the subsequent generations was bound to be somewhat caustic regarding any human difficulties. If chickens did tattoos, Punch would have ‘Never Forget and Never Forgive’ tattooed down his leg.
Punch.
P5133504.JPG

Punch and mag discussing the implications.
P5133494.JPG

I sat on the steps to the vegetable garden and set out to explain the situation to Punch and the tribe who gather under a bush to keep out of the sun. I explained that Barking Mad Bracket who was sitting on yet another clutch and who would sit and try to hatch rocks if you let her, was going to be evicted later today.
Punch immediately demanded to know why. I explained about the virus and that in many places people were no longer allowed out and were in general confined to their coops and runs.
I explained that this was to help stop the virus spreading and of course this meant many people had become poor and unable to feed themselves because they could no longer forage. I mentioned that I was having a hard enough time feeding the tribes at their present population and housing would also become an issue.
Punch found this rather amusing and mentioned that he found it hard to feel any sympathy given most of his species lived like this on a permanent basis.

Punch said looking slightly more cheerful, “I suppose they’ll be culling the infected like they did with us when we got Newcastle's Disease. Best way of preventing the virus spreading is what you told us.
You should let our hens sit Bucket Boy. We’re not like that French (Marans) lot. We do okay in the trees and we’ll find food out here.”
I didn’t have an adequate answer and said nothing.
Bracket sitting but not for much longer.
P5133493.JPG

Some of Tribe 2 spreading the news.
P5133505.JPG

I spent the rest of the day cleaning out their coops and chatting to those who weren't hurling abuse at me for stealing their eggs. I sat for a while with Lock who doesn’t lay eggs, crows from time to time and is noticeably less trouble than the rest of the tribe. I couldn’t help thinking that if this is what gender neutral means for chickens I think I’m all for it.
Lock.
P5133512.JPG

Last edited:
I've been breaking up hen fights today. I've got seven broody hens whose eggs I've recently confiscated wandering around swearing and looking for any piles of eggs that look like they might need warming up.
I had such a pile in my house nest box. I forgot to take the eggs out this morning. When I got back to the house, Tap, Fudge and Hurry were crammed into the nest box trying to drag the three eggs that were in the nest box under them. This involved a lot of noise and pecking. It was so bad the Cillin, their rooster who would normally intervene went and sat under a bush outside. I threw the lot out.

Back
Top Bottom