What did you do with your flock today?

View attachment 2603271Nothing “with” the flock, though I do assume they have been placed into one of Meyer Hatchery’s incubators in the last day or two... But, my husband and stepfather worked on putting Tin roofing on the new chicken run! For reference, the lady in the photo is 5’4...dude in shorts (hubby) is 6’6, they didn’t listen to me, so the “short” end is 8-9’ tall! Gotta figure out how I’m going to fence this all in (with 4’ fencing).
It is a super cute space and I really like the high roof. Lots of roost potential :love and breathing room. Not sure what kind of weather you folks get but a mix of materials would be pretty cute and functional too! So much potential with such a great space!
How ever and what ever- congratulations!! :p :D

Last edited:
Aloha gang,
Just the usual housekeeping and mucking. Emptied out one of my finished compost barrels and let the girls dig through it b4 tossing it in the "garden". With our past rains the compost was wet and disappointing to dig through for them. Too bad because it is usually such a highlight every so many months.

Mazie, my 3yo hen who suffered the massive attack 5 weeks ago, laid an egg yesterday! Never thought she would produce again especially so soon. She has buku new feather growth all around her rear and upper back was paroozing with the flock out to the front of the yard this morning and even got mated. Thinking it is time to put her saddle back on. Spring:barnie

On the rooster talk. I have never had a human aggressive rooster (Yet, touch wood). I have had loud and weird or hen aggressive that get fired or demoted to craigslist or the pasture. I like to pick my boys up as needed or wanted to keep them used to it and friendly.
I start when they are little so they have a good chance at finding homes. When I go to the pasture they always jump up on my truck or shoulder. Good boys. I have raised and rehomed MANY and kept and shuffled about a dozen personally for me so far. I must have lucky stars cuz I know those bad boys are out there.
***My young roos do bite and try to mate me, I don't consider that aggression, just nature and they grow out of it.

Think I am ready for some rooster photos. Any body got any they want to share? :love

Last edited:
7E1CB841-BB79-4460-B8CC-46CE891B1356.jpeg
6F9A496D-C3DD-4451-BCC0-05E3782EF7D2.jpeg
Franklin is the top picture and the bottom picture is Lawrence!

The piece of grass hanging out of Ling Lings mouth cracks me up. :lau
View attachment 2604057
Just a little slice of heaven peeps. So nice to get a rooster fix. Such gorgeous creatures 😍 😍 😍 love the contrast with the white duck and green grass- great photos!

True confessions, I have a pair of slip on Sloggers, wanted chicken boots but it is so hot here... couldn't do it. How do they feel and ware?

Just a little slice of heaven peeps. So nice to get a rooster fix. Such gorgeous creatures 😍 😍 😍 love the contrast with the white duck and green grass- great photos!

True confessions, I have a pair of slip on Sloggers, wanted chicken boots but it is so hot here... couldn't do it. How do they feel and ware?
We don’t get a lot of rain here, but they seem to hold up better than the average store bought rain boot.

It is a super cute space and I really like the high roof. Lots of roost potential :love and breathing room. Not sure what kind of weather you folks get but a mix of materials would be pretty cute and functional too! So much potential with such a great space!
How ever and what ever- congratulations!! :p :D
We live in the Pacific Northwest, so a little of everything! I was planning on 8' sloping to 6', but the ground naturally slopes and we have 8'+ at both ends, lol. I'm happy about it, my 6'6" tall husband likes that he won't hit his head, even though he claims he will "never go in there for any reason", he's my muscle and WILL be carrying feed bags and such into the run for me! The lower half of the shed (2-story tall) will be our coop (starting work in there tomorrow with help from my 6 and 8 year olds) and have a WiFi enabled auto chicken door to install (my anniversary present) as well as a whole bunch more work to do, lol. The guys claimed they ran out of roofing material today, but I found half a dozen still leaned up against the house, so not sure why they thought they were done! I'm excited to get fencing up and start decorating! I have a concrete bench going on the outside and some planters to hang outside the run, lots of garden type stuff to add that's been stuffed away in the shed since forever ago. The chicks are set to hatch/ship in 3 weeks, so I figure I have about 7 weeks to get this done! Kids and hubby are all off this week for Spring Break, so the majority will need to be done before Monday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom