What did you do with your flock today?

my wyandotte cockerel likes to live on the wild side. i saw him eat stinging nettle throughout today. maybe he likes spicy food lol. he even photobombed a picture i took of the chickens with his nettle obsession, here he is enjoying his favorite lovely

Hehe! Quail are fast little buggers!! I can only imagine how much tougher button quail are since they’re so tiny! 😆 Chicken legs is quite an awesome name for a quail, but you may be right that road runner is more fitting haha! I did a full quail cage clean out today as well and my daughter was chasing two of them around the garden with a butterfly net while the rooster made his warning crows that sound like a dinosaur 😆 quail are always an adventure!! Chicken legs is cute!

Oh she’s very pretty!! Really nice color blue! Is she a Sapphire Gem? I’m trying to learn just by looking but still not that good, haha.

Where a outs are you in CA? I saw the southern half was getting rain today, up into Fresno area. My chickens were so happy to be out of their coop today!
Thank you! Good eye! She definitely the prettiest out of my two SGs, lol. Gary desperately needs to molt, so of course he’s the only one that hasn’t started yet. :rolleyes:
I’m in SD. We didn’t end up getting as much rain as I would’ve liked, but it was still nice.
Good looking bird Frankie.. We have 4 puppies she started at 4 finshed by 8 Mom and babies are fine
Thanks! Congrats of the puppies!
My flock? 🤦‍♀️
Your goat is adorable. 😍
Btw, welcome to BYC!
Feel like my soul is crying or maybe that's just eyeball sweat 😪 Got next to nothing done cept hydrate... and nap 😴 poor critters, them too. One bonus is the watermelon is kinda seedy and not that sweet so chickens will get to snack on that for a few. Plus I have frozen star fruit for them yum! Seems summer was just late this year.
What do your Temps and humidity do @kurby? Has it really cooled already?! A bit happy jealous 😋
Well, the zombies let me sleep 5 hours straight last eve, the ferrets got a new toy from a friend and Forest loves his daddy and loves being a farm kitty. He caught 2 morning doves and a lizard (that I promptly fed to the chickens) that I know of and is possibly napping in the new nest box.View attachment 2879518View attachment 2879514View attachment 2879515
I love the nicknames you give them. :lau They’re so cute!

Morning y'all. I just went to open the run (the husband opened the coop when he left at 430) and the sky decided to open up. I opened the goat locker but both boys stayed inside and had their best "I want to see the manager faces" 😂 Luckily after a multi colored cell passes over us it should all be over by 1 pm. Hope everyone is doing well this morning.

In other news (and then I'll stop posting until at least Wednesday because no flock time tomorrow due to a cold front and 100% chance of rain) my husband just informed me that our White Rock x hen who we named Peggy Hill because of her large feet is now Hank Hill because he began crowing this afternoon 😂😂😂
The first crows are often funny sounding!

Aloha gang. It is so darn hot (yesterday and) today that I turned on sprinklers and opened the run door to let the flock out to play/fend for themselves/cool off. Poor things. Going to cut up some watermelon for them now. Missing Koke'e.
How hot was it?

Awww Forest does look very happy 😍 and those babies look like trouble haha 😆

This summer most of June, July and August was over 100…it was awful! Thankfully we don’t get humidity really or I would probably melt and die 😆 The switch from summer to fall happened almost over night and now our highs are in the 60s and partly cloudy! I would happily live where it never gets over 65…like, ever 😆 I blame my Scandinavian ancestors! Hehe. I do not envy you and your hot day today. I don’t wanna be hot again for at least 5 months 🤞🏻🤞🏻

The chickens and quail are definitely adjusting slowly to the new temps. They seem kind of mellow and doing a lot more cuddle puddles to stay warm. And Puff is more content to sit on me and steal my warmth hehe. I’m not sad about it 😁 I actually think some of my pullets may be closer to POL than I realized too. Some of their combs seem redder and bigger than even a week ago. And Mr Eevee is more interested in a couple of them in particular! They however are not okay with it. So not quite there 😄 but the laying Silkie has given me 4 eggs in 5 days…I love her 🥰
Even without humidity, chickens will die if the real temp is over 105F.

We did have a very hot summer here!

Back
Top Bottom