What did you do with your flock today?

Good morning gang!

Congratulations @ChicksnMore on the new kids but also making it through a kind of thinning? Looking forward to seeing photos when you can.

Welcome @truebluewhitingowner !

Beautiful work @BarnyardChaos I'm not a chicken freezer person yet but I do admire your efforts.

Yesterday we went to Lihue town for supplies, just a quick one. On our way I got a call from a past customer needing a roo. He has a really nice spot and enjoys his chickens so I decided to part with this big silly. He is just what the guy is looking for and will live a good life with 6 girls. This boy was sold for cold hard cash and I got a good price. He paid more than 1/2 my feed bill yesterday.
20220816_161500.jpg

Nice gal made it to pick up her new boy last eve. She was thrilled, thought she got a little teary eyed even ♡ looking forward to her sending me pictures of boy with his new harem.
Thinning my flock is always a little sad for me but I know it is for the betterment and health plus doing my best due diligence helps.

Today I have to pick up fresh mulch. Time to freshen the trailer coop and restock my depleted stash.
Picked up sewing supplies in town so can set up machine again and get back after it. May have rain today and have to adjust priorities.
It was loooovely seeing my Kekaha flock yesterday. Beetlejuice is doing a terrific job and everyone is calm and happy.
20220816_080217.jpg
my little pancake broody Pi'ilani with another week to go. She took some time to stretch and even made it out to the lawn. Getting ready for lockdown. She is looking pale. No bugs but I brought down vitamins for her. Time to help her out. ♡
20220816_081449.jpg

I turned into a mad hen and killed a 4-ft long black snake, which I believe had eaten two of my "Echo" group chicks, 1-1/2 weeks old. The SOB got in, I think, by a small hole I found in the crack between floor and wall of my little 4x8 brooder coop. I'd cleared all the weeds, and found the sucker hiding in a piece of tarp. Pointed shovel and nerves of steel worked just FINE. I'm not positive he was the only one.

Until I can reinforce and move the coop to a safer spot inside the run, I took what measures I could: Dumped used cat litter around the outside base of the walls, then soaked the lower walls of the coop with a gallon jug of Pine-Sol. If the snake doesn't kill the chicks, the fumes probably will. 😣

FWIW, I know these snakes pose no threat to humans, are not venomous, and are in fact quite helpful at keeping mice populations under control. However, the safety of my chickens comes first. He picked a BAD place to hang out.

Not the one I decapitated, but close:
1660761864965.png

I turned into a mad hen and killed a 4-ft long black snake, which I believe had eaten two of my "Echo" group chicks, 1-1/2 weeks old. The SOB got in, I think, by a small hole I found in the crack between floor and wall of my little 4x8 brooder coop. I'd cleared all the weeds, and found the sucker hiding in a piece of tarp. Pointed shovel and nerves of steel worked just FINE. I'm not positive he was the only one.

Until I can reinforce and move the coop to a safer spot inside the run, I took what measures I could: Dumped used cat litter around the outside base of the walls, then soaked the lower walls of the coop with a gallon jug of Pine-Sol. If the snake doesn't kill the chicks, the fumes probably will. 😣

FWIW, I know these snakes pose no threat to humans, are not venomous, and are in fact quite helpful at keeping mice populations under control. However, the safety of my chickens comes first. He picked a BAD place to hang out.

Not the one I decapitated, but close:
View attachment 3226444
Good for you! I know snakes are helpful but you still have to protect your little ones. They are helpless. As long as they stay away from the coop they are good. You did what you have to do. I hope the rest of them stay safe.

@TropicalBabies a much needed thinning at that🙂

Almost finished my little pens today. Ran out of time and had to call it a day. I'll throw a temporary roof on it tomorrow just to keep the rain off the wood until I get the real roof on.

Took a closer look at the aloha chicks and think they'll grow up pretty. They definitely have some similarities to the dwarfs in markings so it'll be fun watching them color change as they grow.

Was going to take some pictures but was too busy today.

Here's a couple peababies in the brooder though. I need to remember to stop by the feed store and see if the fellows mom is ready for them.
20220808_204017.jpg

We have a greenish blue egg!!! One of the Easter eggers (I assume) is laying!!! I guess it could be the prairie blue bell or the mystery chicken, but idk. So excited!!! She's laid every day for 3 days now.... Someone laid another shell-less egg, and I had a small odd shaped one q few days ago but haven't seen a similar one since so think that hen needs a few more days. 😂 We're so excited!!!!

We have a greenish blue egg!!! One of the Easter eggers (I assume) is laying!!! I guess it could be the prairie blue bell or the mystery chicken, but idk. So excited!!! She's laid every day for 3 days now.... Someone laid another shell-less egg, and I had a small odd shaped one q few days ago but haven't seen a similar one since so think that hen needs a few more days. 😂 We're so excited!!!!
Yay!!

@ChicksnMore the Aloha's are pretty cool little birds! I'm excited for you and yes, photos would be awesome. ♡ Nice to be getting close to done on your latest coop.

@Kidwantschickens congratulations! Nice to have new layers, even nicer to have have color in your bowl ♡♡

I did much of the same today as all.last week. Walked, freeranged, yardwork, sewed. I scoot down tomorrow to do yard work.
My hatch days are 22 & 26 so getting close.

Last night my husband and I took some time and worked on the duck house. We want to get it done soon. We are so close. It will be nice to have some ducks in there rather than a reminder every day that we no longer have any little ones to go in it. We have everything to finish it but just time.

Next week my oldest daughter has cheerleading try outs. Which I’m so excited for. Last year I asked the principal what I could do. Ok wait let me back up a little. First my daughter has Down Syndrome. Second she is in a co-op that is designed for students who can’t learn like others. They all have their school districts but within the county, all the students will go to a host school district. The students should still be able to participate in school activities that they are registered with. (If I have completely lost you, I’m sorry).

So back to my “story”. I asked the Jr high principal about what we could do for her to join cheerleading. I didn’t even really mean for her to be partway year but the principal made it happen. This girl rocked it! She did such a good job! So, I asked the high school principal about try outs for cheer in the spring before school let out. He told me to watch the calendar. So ALL summer I have been watching and watching and watching. Nothing. Not a thing. So, I messaged him again he said that they already had try outs the week before ( last week) and that they put it on Facebook and on the calendar. 1) not everyone has Facebook, including us. And 2) it wasn’t on the calendar. He was so heartless about it and I talked to her coach last year and her teacher from last year and both were upset. So it just really validated my feelings and I really wanted to know what I could do. I didn’t feel it was right. And I told him that. I told him they should have tried harder than that to make sure EVERY student has the opportunity to join. He of course came back with well she missed try outs, maybe next year. I had to show him that it was not on the calendar. So…after a lot of work they are allowing her to try out for football cheerleading. The basketball is full. But football only has 1 spot.

Honestly, I don’t expect them to just give her a spot. But I do expect them to give her a fair shot and chance to prove herself. Just the same as any other student. So my time is going to be consumed learning these cheers as she does and work with her on them at home. I am NOT a cheerleader and could never see myself doing it, but here I am 😂. Anything for my kids.

Long story I know! But I’m so proud of her! Anyway, we are trying to do everything we can before Tuesday, her first day of “practice” and then Thursday is a practice and after is the try outs.

Forgot to add photos. Pictures aren’t great because it was late…

Attachments

• F66A02A7-111C-4573-9791-75E3E61BDC60.jpeg
    F66A02A7-111C-4573-9791-75E3E61BDC60.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 2
  • CC8C6465-0AAD-478F-9286-1E345EDE0149.jpeg
    CC8C6465-0AAD-478F-9286-1E345EDE0149.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 2
Last night my husband and I took some time and worked on the duck house. We want to get it done soon. We are so close. It will be nice to have some ducks in there rather than a reminder every day that we no longer have any little ones to go in it. We have everything to finish it but just time.

Next week my oldest daughter has cheerleading try outs. Which I’m so excited for. Last year I asked the principal what I could do. Ok wait let me back up a little. First my daughter has Down Syndrome. Second she is in a co-op that is designed for students who can’t learn like others. They all have their school districts but within the county, all the students will go to a host school district. The students should still be able to participate in school activities that they are registered with. (If I have completely lost you, I’m sorry).

So back to my “story”. I asked the Jr high principal about what we could do for her to join cheerleading. I didn’t even really mean for her to be partway year but the principal made it happen. This girl rocked it! She did such a good job! So, I asked the high school principal about try outs for cheer in the spring before school let out. He told me to watch the calendar. So ALL summer I have been watching and watching and watching. Nothing. Not a thing. So, I messaged him again he said that they already had try outs the week before ( last week) and that they put it on Facebook and on the calendar. 1) not everyone has Facebook, including us. And 2) it wasn’t on the calendar. He was so heartless about it and I talked to her coach last year and her teacher from last year and both were upset. So it just really validated my feelings and I really wanted to know what I could do. I didn’t feel it was right. And I told him that. I told him they should have tried harder than that to make sure EVERY student has the opportunity to join. He of course came back with well she missed try outs, maybe next year. I had to show him that it was not on the calendar. So…after a lot of work they are allowing her to try out for football cheerleading. The basketball is full. But football only has 1 spot.

Honestly, I don’t expect them to just give her a spot. But I do expect them to give her a fair shot and chance to prove herself. Just the same as any other student. So my time is going to be consumed learning these cheers as she does and work with her on them at home. I am NOT a cheerleader and could never see myself doing it, but here I am 😂. Anything for my kids.

Long story I know! But I’m so proud of her! Anyway, we are trying to do everything we can before Tuesday, her first day of “practice” and then Thursday is a practice and after is the try outs.

Forgot to add photos. Pictures aren’t great because it was late…
Boy @FBMcrazy8 what a great share and I wish you the best luck and skill ♡♡♡ Good job on going the extra mile and I hope you write back how she made it but now you are too busy with games 😂😄🥰

Back
Top Bottom