What did you do with your flock today?

Thank you ❤️ it always helps being comforted by others that understand that to me, they are not just chickens—they are my family 😢 I’ve known he wasn’t well for awhile so I’ve been coming to terms with this for a few months—but it doesn’t hurt any less when they’re finally gone and the sliver of hope disappears 😢

Thanks @ChicksnMore i truly hope he felt the love and safety at the end. He deserved it 😢

Thanks FBM ❤️ hugs always help!

Thanks @TropicalBabies ❤️ This was a tough one for me. They are all hard, but the special ones always hurt a little bit more. Tomorrow we will be doing a bunch of cleaning and upkeep while it’s still nice weather!

On a bright note, Asha has been bending her bad leg instead of it being straight out in front and she had her last amoxicillin dose today so fingers crossed. She got a long bath today and a soapy scrub of Dawn then an iodine soak. She’s gonna get more eggs today but I’m gonna add some hard grains too. Definitely thankful for today—no work, husband and daughter away at a football game. It’s been quiet and has given me time to sit in my sadness and help Asha without distraction. Happy Friday all. ❤️
:hit:hit:hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you ❤️ it always helps being comforted by others that understand that to me, they are not just chickens—they are my family 😢 I’ve known he wasn’t well for awhile so I’ve been coming to terms with this for a few months—but it doesn’t hurt any less when they’re finally gone and the sliver of hope disappears 😢

Thanks @ChicksnMore i truly hope he felt the love and safety at the end. He deserved it 😢

Thanks FBM ❤️ hugs always help!

Thanks @TropicalBabies ❤️ This was a tough one for me. They are all hard, but the special ones always hurt a little bit more. Tomorrow we will be doing a bunch of cleaning and upkeep while it’s still nice weather!

On a bright note, Asha has been bending her bad leg instead of it being straight out in front and she had her last amoxicillin dose today so fingers crossed. She got a long bath today and a soapy scrub of Dawn then an iodine soak. She’s gonna get more eggs today but I’m gonna add some hard grains too. Definitely thankful for today—no work, husband and daughter away at a football game. It’s been quiet and has given me time to sit in my sadness and help Asha without distraction. Happy Friday all. ❤️
That's great news about Asha, a definite improvement!

I was on my own last night too, DH had gone out to watch the USA v England match so Ferdy got about 6 hours t.v. and snuggles last night. It has been raining non-stop here so he had to have a bath before I'd let him settle on my shoulder. I also thought I'd give his feet a chlorohexedine soak, just to make sure I'd totally annihilated the bumblefoot. I turned around to get a towel, turned back and the daft little bugger was drinking it! I think I might have a mini alcoholic on my hands... he has already been caught drinking a drop of scotch out of my glass🥃

Ok...yall think it is safe to say just one boy in these 4 cochin babies!?

Any suggestions as to colors of em? The breeder hasn't been a lot of help I'm afraid.

Any suggestions as to colors of em? The breeder hasn't been a lot of help I'm afraid.

I think you have a solid blue boy like my little Stanley and the rest look to be black and blue mottled girls. I'm frequently wrong though 🤣

They are beautiful babies! How old are they now?

Last edited:
I think you have a solid blue boy like my little Stanley and the rest look to be black and ble mottled girls. I'm frequently wrong though 🤣

They are beautiful babies! How old are they now?
5 weeks old now!
The black beak one is supposed to be a lavender/black so praying she carries the lavender gene since I need that!

That's great news about Asha, a definite improvement!

I was on my own last night too, DH had gone out to watch the USA v England match so Ferdy got about 6 hours t.v. and snuggles last night. It has been raining non-stop here so he had to have a bath before I'd let him settle on my shoulder. I also thought I'd give his feet a chlorohexedine soak, just to make sure I'd totally annihilated the bumblefoot. I turned around to get a towel, turned back and the daft little bugger was drinking it! I think I might have a mini alcoholic on my hands... he has already been caught drinking a drop of scotch out of my glass🥃
Hahaha he’s a lush 😆 Asha tries to eat the chlorohexidine foam when I apply it too 😄 Ferdy sounds like he’s a character!

They are just so cute!! You definitely have one boy, and they do look black, blue, and mottled ❤️ I’m jealous! They’re gonna be so pretty 😍

Little Orphan Annie is 3 weeks old and so cute 🥰

6370D348-05E9-4495-96FA-F43BEEA2F11F.jpeg

I tried to give her some of Asha’s leftover eggs and she acted like it was poison 😆

A1418617-FB32-405F-A0EE-56AA6FD53818.jpeg

5 weeks old now!
The black beak one is supposed to be a lavender/black so praying she carries the lavender gene since I need that!
She looks to be black but they change so much when they're properly feathered out. I don't know enough about chicken colour genetics to say if she's likely to carry lavender. I've been told you need to have both parents carrying lavender for lavender chicks, as it's recessive. Ferdy and Penelope's dad was lavender and their biological mom, Clara, is blue mottle which is why they're both blue splash. Apparently if I breed back one of them with a lavender I might get some lavender chicks but the only way to get 100% lavender is by breeding two lavender together. You can't really see it in photos but Ferdy has a lot a gold leakage, which gives him a golden sheen in sunlight.

This is Sylvester, their dad:

Attachments

• 20210117_163231.jpg
    20210117_163231.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210423_132621.jpg
    20210423_132621.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom