What did you do with your flock today?

20221126_065848.jpg

Good morning and happy Saturday!

Hahaha he’s a lush 😆 Asha tries to eat the chlorohexidine foam when I apply it too 😄 Ferdy sounds like he’s a character!
Oh, he is! And it looks like Stanley is a chip off the old block, too. It's definitely from Sylv's lineage. He was an odd one. He'd come in the house before bed and tell me all about his day. If the ladies had been uncooperative, he'd stand looking up at me shouting 'Ning, ning, ning!' at the top of his voice. All my pets are slightly odd but endearing. I love every single one of them and their strange quirks. I'm never sure if I just choose eccentric animals or if I somehow turn them a bit loopy 🤔

Thank you ❤️ it always helps being comforted by others that understand that to me, they are not just chickens—they are my family 😢 I’ve known he wasn’t well for awhile so I’ve been coming to terms with this for a few months—but it doesn’t hurt any less when they’re finally gone and the sliver of hope disappears 😢

Thanks @ChicksnMore i truly hope he felt the love and safety at the end. He deserved it 😢

Thanks FBM ❤️ hugs always help!

Thanks @TropicalBabies ❤️ This was a tough one for me. They are all hard, but the special ones always hurt a little bit more. Tomorrow we will be doing a bunch of cleaning and upkeep while it’s still nice weather!

On a bright note, Asha has been bending her bad leg instead of it being straight out in front and she had her last amoxicillin dose today so fingers crossed. She got a long bath today and a soapy scrub of Dawn then an iodine soak. She’s gonna get more eggs today but I’m gonna add some hard grains too. Definitely thankful for today—no work, husband and daughter away at a football game. It’s been quiet and has given me time to sit in my sadness and help Asha without distraction. Happy Friday all.
I'm so glad Asha is showing improvement ❤️, and that you're getting a chance for some quiet time. You're such a good momma!
Ok...yall think it is safe to say just one boy in these 4 cochin babies!?

Any suggestions as to colors of em? The breeder hasn't been a lot of help I'm afraid.

I only saw one boy also and I think 1 frizzle?

She looks to be black but they change so much when they're properly feathered out. I don't know enough about chicken colour genetics to say if she's likely to carry lavender. I've been told you need to have both parents carrying lavender for lavender chicks, as it's recessive. Ferdy and Penelope's dad was lavender and their biological mom, Clara, is blue mottle which is why they're both blue splash. Apparently if I breed back one of them with a lavender I might get some lavender chicks but the only way to get 100% lavender is by breeding two lavender together. You can't really see it in photos but Ferdy has a lot a gold leakage, which gives him a golden sheen in sunlight.

This is Sylvester, their dad:
Sylvester was gorgeous! He looks like an Isabel coloring. Super pretty 😍😍

Little Orphan Annie is 3 weeks old and so cute 🥰

View attachment 3333457

I tried to give her some of Asha’s leftover eggs and she acted like it was poison 😆

View attachment 3333458
She's is too stinkin precious!!! She's beautiful!

@Shetland lover yeah I'm not sure what to think from this breeder as none of the eggs were supposed to be mottled...so idk. Sure hoping she carries the lavender gene since that's what they said.
Yours are gorgeous!!! Such beautiful feathering!

Ok...yall think it is safe to say just one boy in these 4 cochin babies!?

Any suggestions as to colors of em? The breeder hasn't been a lot of help I'm afraid.

They are so cute!!! I wish I could help you out but I’m for sure not this familiar yet!

Well this morning I found I have another layer. So I now have 7 layers. After getting the chickens and ducks out this morning, I came in to have a little time before the kids got up for the day. Sat down and was getting comfy and one of the little puppies started crying. I tried to get her to latch on to momma but she wasn’t having it. Just going around the whelping box crying. So I picked her up and we cuddled. Then it was time to cook breakfast. So what do I do…yup I do what any mom does, I held the puppy (so she could sleep, she cried parts of the night too) and cooked and served breakfast. Which by the time I was done with that she got hungry so I gave her back to momma. 2 of the boys started in this evening on crying too so, I took them and held them too! I just love these little guys! ❤️❤️

Momma dog doesn’t care for me taking them but she should really feel grateful that I am helping. 😉 lol You know how many times I would have loved to have an extra set of hands with just one kid….

Anyway, I pumped out the duck pond and going to clean it tomorrow after the rain passes and then I will be refilling it. We also helped a neighbor clean out some of his old stuff that he needed moved out of the way for him to expand his garden. And that included a chicken coop. It is small, and NEEDS ventilation bad. Like there is NONE. The one that they moved their chickens to for more room…no ventilation in that either. Ok, so the small one had 6 chickens in it. Now there is NOWAY 6 of mine would fit in it. So maybe silkies or bantams or just some small breed. The place they moved them to was a metal shed that they made into a coop. Which just meant adding nest boxes and a roost. No wonder they don’t have chickens anymore. 🤦‍♀️ We will probably use it as a breeding area OR I might get some silkies, but probably just for breeding. But it needs cleaned up REALLY good and we have to add something to the roof as it is just plywood. Also the nest boxes need touched up. These are the same people that put heaters into their chicken coops. The people around here that do this are the ones giving my husband the bright ideas that they don’t need ventilation and that they will die without heat. 🤦‍♀️ I believe though I have given my husband enough evidence for both of these things. That and I told him…yeah his chickens died for a reason, where should I start? Rant over…promise. Just glad he isn’t doing chickens anymore. I think they had good intentions, just lack of knowledge. I hope that if they randomly decide to start again that maybe they take a look at our coop and set up. Not that mine is perfect cause I’m sure there are always changes I can make but at least they would have a better set up than they did.

Attachments

• D21F0073-8D32-4CD8-ABD0-6F1DAA24A40B.jpeg
    D21F0073-8D32-4CD8-ABD0-6F1DAA24A40B.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom