What did you do with your flock today?

Isn't Diamond the one who just gave you that fabulous green egg? That would have been heart breaking. Great catch. 👍👍👍👍

I love going out and telling my girls goodnight, seeing who is Spiders new favorite, who are now besties etc. Completes my day. Of course our temps are never what yours are so it is easy lol. Right now we are at a cool 77° and dark at 6:30
It is the same one. Silly girl. I was scared she had already passed when I seen her. I want to get out there and check on her again but the wind is about 45mph right now. I think my door to the run would break and then they would be stuck in the coop while I fixed it when the sun comes up. So I’m just gonna wait and know she was ok and moving just fine when I went out to check on her last.

I like to tell them good night too and see where everyone is at. I also like to check on the temps on really cold nights. I put a thermometer inside the coop. It was more to prove to my husband that they DONT need supplemental heat. Which I believe I have achieved. And honestly I wouldn’t have checked on them because it was in the 60s today but something told me to check on them. It will be a habit from now on. We have a cold front coming in and we will be down to 33 degrees without wind chill. 😭 But no matter the temp, I have to now.

Would Tylan work? We are on the road and I only brought it as my just in case med? I might be able to get a fish med of tetra if it’s better??
Tetra is the one that was recommended to me. Fish Tetra should work as well, it's still the same antibiotic after all. If you can get oxytetracycline, that's even more effective apparently

You could certainly try tylan but it's no where near as effective. It'd still be better than not treating, in my non- vet opinion.

If you can get ethromycin, that's also recommended as a treatment (I know API make one for fish - might be called P-Furan??? I can't remember as it's no longer available in the U.K.)

Stubborn infection can be treated with Tetra and penicillin in combination according to a classmate who worked in the poultry sector in India, where GD is rife. Worth considering?

Where antibiotics aren't working so well, use organic acids to acidify drinking water. ACV would work. Not sure you should add it with the antibiotics though.

I hope something works for the little sweetheart, keeping everything crossed 🤞

Last edited:
We are home! No place like it yall! Vacay is nice...but I'd rather be home and enjoy all God has blessed me with!

And not sure I'll get caught up so did I miss a lot?!

Well thank God all my babies youngest to oldest survived the chicken sitter. We had a few bad storms with torrential rain and heavy winds but that should not have affected giving them clean water. Very frustrating and difficult to find someone that will take care of your babies!
Went ahead and moved the Buff Silkies down to the big brooder with the week older baby Cochins. They were doing well and like they had never missed each other.
They've got a brooder heat plate and I made sure they were all tucked in well before leaving em.
I sure pray no illnesses come from the nasty waterers!
Reckon I should start the corid water back up on the brooder babies just to be safe? They had been on it 20 days prior to my leaving town...thoughts, suggestions?
Glad you had a lovely holiday!

The chicks should have built up enough immunity to coccidiosis by now to not need corid. Personally, I'd work on disrupting the lifecycle of the protozoa by disinfecting the coop and making sure the bedding is clean and dry. Obviously clean any dirty feed bowls and waterers. You'll need a disinfectant that will kill the cocci oocysts as they are tough little buggers! Just keep the corid on hand in case anyone starts showing symptoms.

Last edited:
Today was pretty busy and I haven’t had a chance to really catch up on everything. The last few days I have had random kids sick with one thing or another. The biggest issues has been Parvovirus going through all the kids. And no, this isn’t the same as the dog virus. There is human virus, in case you didn’t know. I had my sister and mom arguing with me on it. And then some random stomach bug is now going through them. Anyway, I am sorry for missing so much.

Today my husband took the day off and we cleaning out the duck pond and got them some feeder Minos. It took them a while to realize they were in the pond but once they did they were eating them in no time. We also got the chickens a snack block. They kind of like it but not really interested either. As in they haven’t ate much of it, which is good.

I also ordered puppy dewormer from Amazon and of course they sent the wrong dewormer. This dewormer I got was not liked by very many puppies according to the reviews. The one I ordered, I seen on YouTube and reviews shows and tells that it tastes better and had bettter results. So I spent $25 for a 2oz dewormer to get the ucky stuff that sells for $14 for 2oz. So of course I called and got a refund. And my poor babies had to get the ucky stuff. And believe me they HATED it!!! You know how you take a drink of some gross alcoholic drink or just some gross food and it gives you goosebumps and shivers and you just shake like you want the taste out of your mouth….well that was them. And gaging. LOTS of gaging. Oh well. As long as it works. They will only need to take this stuff maybe 2 more times. And since mom got a dewormer too maybe that will help them also. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Also to add, I went to shit the chickens up. Sometimes I go in and check on them and lately I have, no particular reason just have been. And I’m really glad. Diamond found herself in between the nest boxes and the outside wall, which is maybe about 3 inches at most. Her head was hanging down (so blood rushing to her head) and wing was kinda funny. I moved her wing and she was still warm. So it gave me hope so I tried to pull her out. She was stuck REALLY good. But made noises at me so I was happy to hear that. I tried again and she came out. I checked on her a little ago and she was doing great. I am positive I would have came out to a dead baby in the morning if I did not check on them.

I hope everyone had a great day!
Oh my god! I'm so pleased she seems to have recovered fully!
Prudence (Pru) got stuck between the railings of the run gate but that was more funny than scary and life-threatening for her. DH came out and just burst out laughing, when he could speak again, all he said was "told you she was too fat!" 🤣

Poor puppers! It'll put them off being medicated for life! Beautiful looking eggs btw.

Isn't Diamond the one who just gave you that fabulous green egg? That would have been heart breaking. Great catch. 👍👍👍👍

I love going out and telling my girls goodnight, seeing who is Spiders new favorite, who are now besties etc. Completes my day. Of course our temps are never what yours are so it is easy lol. Right now we are at a cool 77° and dark at 6:30
I'd never hear the end of it if I didn't tuck mine in before bed. Gladys won't go in the coop until she's had her back rub and fluffy butt floofed!
I can't relax anyway until I've done a headcount and made sure everyone is where they should be.

@FBMcrazy8 @Shetland lover @ChicksnMore
Yeah I'm sure I do a lot of silly and unnecessary things for all my babies...but they are my  babies!
DH came out on deck to check on me cause it was taking quite a while last night and i said i was putting em to bed...he said dont forget their bedtime story! He gets me...not that he understands me...but he gets me!
i got all the waterers cleaned and done out with ACV, raked the run and did new bedding in big brooder, collected eggs. My daughter tried to collect eggs one day for me and just check on em all and she brought in the 4 ceramic eggs. She's so cute!
I have got to decrease my numbers though yall! It's bad when ya can't take a step without stepping on a feathered foot! My neighbors must hate me!!! I get so out of control with everything I ever do! All ya gotta do is peek inside my house and ya can see how I go crazy with each thing I've ever done! My entire family is betting to see how long before the chicken phase is over! I've went from scrapbooking to quilting to crafting to painting to home decor to books to chickens! I have a problem!!! And I don't wanna be everyone else's problem too! I'm just so attached to them!!! And I really wanna work towards this breeding project for mille fleur and porcelain colors!
We were supposed to win the lottery few weeks ago and that was gonna solve my land situation! :lau
Ok...I'm gonna go back to pg 700 and try to catch up. I sure missed all yall!!!

Took these pics . . . My Bieles are growing so fast. I could not wait until days later for a pic (been doing weeklies).

As usual the Neiderrheiners are stealing the show.
These are darlin little babies!!! Thank you for sharing em with us!
Thank you! I do love all my babies 😍 Keep asking if I can have a new black kitty but DH wants a dog. I love dogs too but....

I hand crocheted the throw last year, It's based on Frida Kalho's flower paintings. Took me bloody ages! I put it on the floor when it was done to make sure I'd put it together straight and Grace claimed it immediately! So I just had to take a photo!
You did a phenomenal job!!! I miss being able to do stuff like this!
Poor Molly is just getting worse.
I am so sorry! She looks so pitifully swollen and miserable! Gosh something has got to start working for her soon!!!

Right! And it doesn’t help when you have people selling “chicken coops” without ventilation.
I do not understand how it is legal to sell them without ventilation! I was suckered as a first time chicken person and I know tons are otherwise they wouldn't keep selling em! I took a drill to my pre-fab coop and ended up cutting out holes...then got DH new oscillator saw and cut an even bigger hole!

selenium pill
I have the goat one that is like a gel. Didn't know it came in pill form! And sure didn't know they could be overdosed on selenium! Gosh!!! My Buff Silkies were getting like a ¼" twice a day to mix in the liquid from a vitamin e capsule to help with wry neck...did that about 10 days.
poultry show! It’s currently raining so the outside birds should be a lovely mess tonight. Tomorrow morning I will have 4 roosters in the house…it’s good my husband loves me lots
The crowing in the house just echos! Even worse than when they are all outside!!!
I cannot imagine taking em to a show! How do they behave? I'm guessing you don't take bootyheads though!

And I had more quotes to comment on but BYC didn't keep em all here for some reason!

Edited...someone had mentioned something bout watery poos outside of summer time weather from excess drinking. Before we left for vacation I had noticed several that were really watery. Any ideas what might cause this? I'm gonna try and watch to see who's got it if still going on today.

Last edited:
Oh my god! I'm so pleased she seems to have recovered fully!
Prudence (Pru) got stuck between the railings of the run gate but that was more funny than scary and life-threatening for her. DH came out and just burst out laughing, when he could speak again, all he said was "told you she was too fat!" 🤣

Poor puppers! It'll put them off being medicated for life! Beautiful looking eggs btw.
That would have been great to see. If she wasn’t hanging upside down and laying sideways I probably would have found it funny too. She got the name Diamond for her pattern on her but also diamonds are sharp enough to cut glass. And she has a seriously spunky attitude. I would think a life threatening situation would calm her down, but since I saved her she thinks I tried to kill her 🤣.

The puppies thought I was killing them too. I’m hoping next week will go better and not worse. I really thought the hardest part was going to be weighing them. Then I seen what they sent me and I was just like 🤬 this is going to be fun.

Thank you! I took a picture with the other eggs so the color could be seen better. By itself it looks like a very light light color.

@FBMcrazy8 @Shetland lover @ChicksnMore
Yeah I'm sure I do a lot of silly and unnecessary things for all my babies...but they are my  babies!
DH came out on deck to check on me cause it was taking quite a while last night and i said i was putting em to bed...he said dont forget their bedtime story! He gets me...not that he understands me...but he gets me!
i got all the waterers cleaned and done out with ACV, raked the run and did new bedding in big brooder, collected eggs. My daughter tried to collect eggs one day for me and just check on em all and she brought in the 4 ceramic eggs. She's so cute!
I have got to decrease my numbers though yall! It's bad when ya can't take a step without stepping on a feathered foot! My neighbors must hate me!!! I get so out of control with everything I ever do! All ya gotta do is peek inside my house and ya can see how I go crazy with each thing I've ever done! My entire family is betting to see how long before the chicken phase is over! I've went from scrapbooking to quilting to crafting to painting to home decor to books to chickens! I have a problem!!! And I don't wanna be everyone else's problem too! I'm just so attached to them!!! And I really wanna work towards this breeding project for mille fleur and porcelain colors!
We were supposed to win the lottery few weeks ago and that was gonna solve my land situation! :lau
Ok...I'm gonna go back to pg 700 and try to catch up. I sure missed all yall!!!
It’s always good to have a husband that gets you!! Luckily mine spoils my ducks and chickens with me so I don’t feel so silly alone. But they are our babies. And the provide us eggs, which is natural for them but still a lot of work. My sex link lays pretty big eggs (the biggest compared to the rest of them) and it take her a whole lot longer to lay them compared to the rest of the girls. So for how hard they work, I feel they deserve to be spoiled.

We were supposed to win the same lottery 😭. But mine was going to buy me my goats and the extra chickens and all kinds of stuff like that and for them.

We missed you too! Good to have you back!

I do not understand how it is legal to sell them without ventilation! I was suckered as a first time chicken person and I know tons are otherwise they wouldn't keep selling em! I took a drill to my pre-fab coop and ended up cutting out holes...then got DH new oscillator saw and cut an even bigger hole!
You would think they would have to put some kind of regulations on it. Really anything that you would put in there, like rabbits or whatever someone would use for it, they would still need ventilation. I don’t see why the one guy I spoke of that made it at his lumber yard would even sell it as a chicken coop and just left it as a shed. Cause honestly that is what it was. I went digging to see if I could find it again and I did. I guess you could open the windows but that would be it if you didn’t cut out more

Attachments

• 9825ECAF-69A7-4CD9-AFF6-34D93BB37E0D.jpeg
    9825ECAF-69A7-4CD9-AFF6-34D93BB37E0D.jpeg
    779.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom