What did you do with your flock today?

Sounds like a lovely birthday!! 🎉 And that sand shark adventure looked awesome 😍

I did get the report back :-( He died from severe emaciation and tumors in his kidneys and esophagus. They couldn’t confirm specific cause, just a lymphoproliferative disease. So they assume Mareks because of its commonness, but without further testing they can’t be certain. Since I have lost almost all of my birds from one coop and mostly males—it seems like an odd presentation of Mareks? Especially since some live for months after not walking. Nohope has been inside since early December and aside from not walking he’s totally fine. Eats, drinks, his poop is slightly darker than normal but he’s normal and shows occasional signs of not feeling well. I always read that Mareks was in final stages when they no longer walk. Two months is a long time I’d think, but I can’t say I really would know I guess. But viruses are weird. How can I have so many healthy birds if it’s something so contagious with high mortality? I’ve also read that silkies are really susceptible to both Mareks and ALV and I have three that live in the Death Coop without any issues. Never more than a runny nose. So odd. Soo, I will now be vaccinating all day olds straight from the incubator just to cover all the bases.
Rest days are important and it sounds like you had a good day ❤️. Arias lucky to get an enjoyable outdoor chore! Betting she had some fun out there even if she grumbled the whole time 😂.
I'm glad you've got the rats beat for now too.
That's rough with the Marek's. It's a hard one to deal with. NoHope is one lucky little man in a some ways. I hope he hangs on for as long as he wants too.
On the bright side, knowing more about what's going on will hopefully help bring it to an end too. :hugs

Rest days are important and it sounds like you had a good day ❤️. Arias lucky to get an enjoyable outdoor chore! Betting she had some fun out there even if she grumbled the whole time 😂.
I'm glad you've got the rats beat for now too.
That's rough with the Marek's. It's a hard one to deal with. NoHope is one lucky little man in a some ways. I hope he hangs on for as long as he wants too.
On the bright side, knowing more about what's going on will hopefully help bring it to an end too. :hugs
Thanks! Yeah she actually had a pretty good attitude about it! So that was nice.

Yeah, I’m going to exist as if that is what it is and move forward :-( My birds are my babies so I don’t really have another option. Vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate.

Yeah, my goal for Nohope has been to make his life as easy and pleasant as possible. He eats french fries, chicken tenders, bread, veggies, scrambled eggs, and his own crumble. He gets baths once/twice a week, and vitamins and lots of love. If he's dying, he's dying in a comfortable hospice situation. I am going to miss him a lot though, it's hard not to get really attached to him since he demands my attention all day and loves pets and treats. Roosters are so misunderstood--I just love them and their personalities and vocalizing. Chickening has been really hard on my heart...so much sadness and loss and illness. When we near retirement, I will stop all chickening as they live out the end of their lives so when we move I can start fresh with better knowledge and awareness and biosecurity planned. Hopefully I'm able to do that seamlessly--guess we will see how it all plays out. I do think there is a lot to be said from locality immunities...so if I have to move to retire, starting a new is likely smart anyway. Anywho, new coops are needed regardless of whether they will make a difference, so they will all live in style!

Thanks! Yeah she actually had a pretty good attitude about it! So that was nice.

Yeah, I’m going to exist as if that is what it is and move forward :-( My birds are my babies so I don’t really have another option. Vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate.

Yeah, my goal for Nohope has been to make his life as easy and pleasant as possible. He eats french fries, chicken tenders, bread, veggies, scrambled eggs, and his own crumble. He gets baths once/twice a week, and vitamins and lots of love. If he's dying, he's dying in a comfortable hospice situation. I am going to miss him a lot though, it's hard not to get really attached to him since he demands my attention all day and loves pets and treats. Roosters are so misunderstood--I just love them and their personalities and vocalizing. Chickening has been really hard on my heart...so much sadness and loss and illness. When we near retirement, I will stop all chickening as they live out the end of their lives so when we move I can start fresh with better knowledge and awareness and biosecurity planned. Hopefully I'm able to do that seamlessly--guess we will see how it all plays out. I do think there is a lot to be said from locality immunities...so if I have to move to retire, starting a new is likely smart anyway. Anywho, new coops are needed regardless of whether they will make a difference, so they will all live in style!
You have some very lucky birds! I've always said playing with roosters can turn them mean... but yep, they're wonderful. As babies it seems to me that the roos are calmer then the baby girls and tend to be more relaxed. So easy to love! And handled well I think most stay very sweet. I've been using feather checks as an excuse to cuddle Kirin and Snug 😂. I know I'll keep those two so no worries that I'll be sad later if they're not keepers. I already know I'm keeping them. Took this pic last night... they're housed separate because of size, but get snuggled together so they can get along well later.
20230205_213906.jpg

You have some very lucky birds! I've always said playing with roosters can turn them mean... but yep, they're wonderful. As babies it seems to me that the roos are calmer then the baby girls and tend to be more relaxed. So easy to love! And handled well I think most stay very sweet. I've been using feather checks as an excuse to cuddle Kirin and Snug 😂. I know I'll keep those two so no worries that I'll be sad later if they're not keepers. I already know I'm keeping them. Took this pic last night... they're housed separate because of size, but get snuggled together so they can get along well later.View attachment 3397421
Yeah, I do believe that many roosters are less nice when handled a lot as babies because they don't respect you as they age into "manhood", so I gear my attention based on their behaviors as babies. If they are active, alert, pecky, spend a lot of time running around and getting into things with sort of anxious and alert eyes....I now leave them be and let them grow up with healthy respect for me and other humans. These are the ones that have grown up loving attention only to turn on me.

If they are relaxed, love to snuggle, sleep contentedly in your lap as babies, and have gentle and calm eyes I handle them more and love on them more. All of these boys have grown up to be my gentlest and most patient roosters that I can hug and hang with. The ones that are panicky and freaked out being held and have no interest in humans as chicks also end up being generally nice roosters. The only ones I find are problems are the curious and unafraid boys. They lean on aggression and their lack of fear that becomes an issue if you are too nice to them as babies. I don't let them climb on my shoulders anymore either. They must stay below my head and shoulders as babies and adults. I could tell when Nohope was a baby that he would be a gentle soul. He was always allowing the young chicks to sleep under his wings and yet always wary of me even if he would sit on my legs and want to be near me. Much like Ruby haha, he went thru a bit of a phase where he was afraid of his own shadow and bit you out of fear, but that has stopped and now he just lets you pet him and hold him. He's become both super handsome and very well behaved and the ladies are starting to respect him too.

Kirin and Snug are just adorable and I think you have two very adorable and sweet boys! Your chickens are super lucky too! They have a great momma and kids to care for them :love

Yeah, I do believe that many roosters are less nice when handled a lot as babies because they don't respect you as they age into "manhood", so I gear my attention based on their behaviors as babies. If they are active, alert, pecky, spend a lot of time running around and getting into things with sort of anxious and alert eyes....I now leave them be and let them grow up with healthy respect for me and other humans. These are the ones that have grown up loving attention only to turn on me.

If they are relaxed, love to snuggle, sleep contentedly in your lap as babies, and have gentle and calm eyes I handle them more and love on them more. All of these boys have grown up to be my gentlest and most patient roosters that I can hug and hang with. The ones that are panicky and freaked out being held and have no interest in humans as chicks also end up being generally nice roosters. The only ones I find are problems are the curious and unafraid boys. They lean on aggression and their lack of fear that becomes an issue if you are too nice to them as babies. I don't let them climb on my shoulders anymore either. They must stay below my head and shoulders as babies and adults. I could tell when Nohope was a baby that he would be a gentle soul. He was always allowing the young chicks to sleep under his wings and yet always wary of me even if he would sit on my legs and want to be near me. Much like Ruby haha, he went thru a bit of a phase where he was afraid of his own shadow and bit you out of fear, but that has stopped and now he just lets you pet him and hold him. He's become both super handsome and very well behaved and the ladies are starting to respect him too.

Kirin and Snug are just adorable and I think you have two very adorable and sweet boys! Your chickens are super lucky too! They have a great momma and kids to care for them :love
Wonderful observations! I've never thought it out that far but I do believe you're right. Kirin and Snug are both calm, relaxed babies and have been from day one.
I have silver spangled hamburgs coming in April. They're supposed to be flighty, more wild birds. The description sounds a lot like the Egyptian fayoumi's I had long ago and I'm very curious how much I'll like them. I'm more experienced now so hopefully I don't find them problematic like I did the fayoumi's. My fayoumi's always preferred to roost in trees rather then their coop and I never had a single one that was friendly. No mean ones...just keep your distance birds. But I also got them as adults with their ways already set and never bred them. I'd love it if I can bred the hamburgs for calmer disposition.

Good morning crew.
:hugs Pretty bad news about the Marek's @kurby22 but it does piece some things together. Good to know and have answers. I believe it is the dander that passes it around, it stays in the soil for a REALLY long time and vaccinations are not a sure thing guarantee...? One of the BYC guru's has a Marek flock and gives some sound advice on management without culling. I know you are trained in research so I will leave it at that ♡ My heart goes out to you and your flock but also know that they are in good capable hands that have their wellbeing and safety in mind always 💜💜💜

I actually feel really good about closing my flock. Content. I feel calmer about all things. Pressure is off and I can really enjoy them and their antics without a juggle. People can figure their own stuff out for awhile. I am beyond busy with bags and life etc. I want to enjoy them as they are with no add ons or subtractions for a long while.

15 beautiful eggs yesterday 🥰

I collected another $150 for KCCP. Refilled the Koke'e Lodge and Plantation Cottages. Need to refill the Feed store stand again and KHS again but I have a little bit of a surplus and not chasing my tail this week... I think. Thread order has been delayed and I now wait on 2 orders and may be back to chasing my tail soon.

Met with the printers to have tags and cards made last week as I delivered 2 dozen eggs to the sailor who needs fresh unwashed eggs. Pretty cool.
I have also ordered brochure holders so I can offer KCCP & KHS info along with my own.
I adjusted my pattern a little so I will be using 99% of the bag instead of 90%. May do some reinvisioning of waste material for the printer in exchange for services.

Good morning crew.
:hugs Pretty bad news about the Marek's @kurby22 but it does piece some things together. Good to know and have answers. I believe it is the dander that passes it around, it stays in the soil for a REALLY long time and vaccinations are not a sure thing guarantee...? One of the BYC guru's has a Marek flock and gives some sound advice on management without culling. I know you are trained in research so I will leave it at that ♡ My heart goes out to you and your flock but also know that they are in good capable hands that have their wellbeing and safety in mind always 💜💜💜

I actually feel really good about closing my flock. Content. I feel calmer about all things. Pressure is off and I can really enjoy them and their antics without a juggle. People can figure their own stuff out for awhile. I am beyond busy with bags and life etc. I want to enjoy them as they are with no add ons or subtractions for a long while.

15 beautiful eggs yesterday 🥰

I collected another $150 for KCCP. Refilled the Koke'e Lodge and Plantation Cottages. Need to refill the Feed store stand again and KHS again but I have a little bit of a surplus and not chasing my tail this week... I think. Thread order has been delayed and I now wait on 2 orders and may be back to chasing my tail soon.

Met with the printers to have tags and cards made last week as I delivered 2 dozen eggs to the sailor who needs fresh unwashed eggs. Pretty cool.
I have also ordered brochure holders so I can offer KCCP & KHS info along with my own.
I adjusted my pattern a little so I will be using 99% of the bag instead of 90%. May do some reinvisioning of waste material for the printer in exchange for services.
That is awesome that people are appreciating your bags and making all the effort and care worthwhile!! $150 is just amazing!

I would agree, I think closing up shop flock wise is makes me feel much less stressed out too. I have roosters, I can have more of my own babies if I need more...lots of selection and beauty :) Yes, I believe the dander is what spreads it but I think that is why I am confused about it being Mareks, since dander should be everywhere not just the one coop. I know the vaccination doesn't always do the job, but hopefully will help. The test will be with my buff laced Polish girl I got from Meyer who was vaccinated. When she goes outside eventually....she will either make it or she won't within the first few weeks. If she does, I will have hope for her making it. I will figure it out, but it sucks and I have spent a bunch of time coming to terms with it. I'm just devastated by it--it feels cruel since I love my birds so much and enjoy them so much. :( But it is what it is and there's nothing I can do to change it now. It's not like culling them all would be a solution either....since I won't be moving from here anytime soon.

How is the weather going?? No offense, but I would like you to keep this storm and not share...:)

$150 MORE! 😉😉😉♡♡♡!!! The first money drop off I did was a bag of $1's and change for about 500 hours of my work and foot work efforts lol. I called it chipping away- Today my chips are bigger and I hope one day soon she will tell me we hit the $1000 mark. That will be some cat food and cats getting flown to the mainland to their new homes etc!

I think your flock is lovely and you have breeds that some people only dream of. Lots to enjoy and perfect ♡
I'm a little sad about my brooder being empty but love being able to spend more time reconnecting with my crew. With the pandemic my flock goals changed and now that we are doing better with less insecurity I can take a step back and go back to my original plan. 12 hens 😂😂🤣😂😄🤣 ok. Maybe I can never go that far back. I'm happy to not have to part with any of my sweeties and just breathe in their loveliness. That feels really good.
Speaking of which. Spider needs a leg spa day and I look forward to it ♡♡♡

So, update on the cement pedestals that I did.
20230206_124535.jpg
20230206_124618.jpg
20230206_124659.jpg

Passed the chicken inspection. Put them on a bench to further cure. Would like to find the time to mosaic these. It would be fun and prettty.

How is the weather going?? No offense, but I would like you to keep this storm and not share...:)
I really hope we don't send anything but a lovely rain shower to you- You folks have been through enough.
This front was rather lively with lightning strikes and rain # totals though, we have had worse forsure. I was happy for it and we suffered no damage. Just flood alerts and closures etc. Today everything is sparkling clean and well watered 😄

Back
Top Bottom