What did you do with your flock today?

I swear Stanley has a death wish! I was giving Ferdy a cuddle as he came and asked nicely. He was thoroughly enjoying his 'naked neck rub' when Stanley decided he wanted some of the action and jumped onto my shoulder. I gave him some attention and resumed playing with Ferdy's wattles. Obviously, that wasn't good enough as far as Stanley was concerned so he started pecking Ferdy's comb! Clearly he did not learn his lesson post fight! It's a good job Ferdy is so tolerant.

Just dropped dh @ the airport and made my way back. Need to catch up on posts but can yet as we have this looming.
Screenshot_20230326-125446_Chrome.jpg

Gotta batton down the hatches.

Did want to crow that Lady Ruby was (is) back out with the gang looking pretty normal this morning. Makes my heart happy.

Found teeny tiny baby mites in the big coop under one of the roost bars when I cleaned out the coops this morning, so a thorough scrub with Total Mite Kill ensued with a follow up dusting of mite and louse powder. It reminded me that they haven't had a dose of invermectin since last September so spent the morning chasing Gladys round as she refuses to be picked up. No such problems with Clara and Ferdy who had their drops administered then decided my shoulder was the place to hang out:
View attachment 3444303
Oh @Shetland lover that is so funny. They are like possessive kids ♡. Their faces are saying "my mommy!" Beautiful babies, good times 😂 ♡!

@kurby22 what coop flooded? How is the new coop holding out? Weather is coming your way again. Hope coops stay dry and well and all chooks do well 🤞

You guys are about to get your next deluge. Same with us. Hope not too much wind as I am not prepared for big winds. The rain I love. Bring it!
Scraped boards this morning b4 taking dh to the airport and prepped the run when I got home after unloading truck. Leveled out the coop and run scape, added vitamins in the water, added an extra water inside broody coop and moved grit and calcium under the mini coop eaves... think we are good.
Washed pup yesterday eve so he is strictly inside dog, only need to put a sheet on Hombre. My sweetie gets cold in the rain ♡
110830~2.jpeg

Last edited:
Picture of the roosters playing sentinels while the chicks and hens eat.View attachment 3444678
Tiny chowing on his share.View attachment 3444679
And a pic from the desert here.View attachment 3444680
How far do you have to walk for that gorgeous view? Just stunning 😍. Love the snack time and can believe your birds all get such a generous helping of bread. What a treat. My birds occasionally get to split 1-2 crusts between them all but not very often poor things. Bread is yummy 😋
Tiny can't help but be handsome for sure ♡
I'm not sure I see a lot of sentinel ing going on with those roos. Looks more like attempted photo bombing.

Oh @Shetland lover that is so funny. They are like possessive kids ♡. Their faces are saying "my mommy!" Beautiful babies, good times 😂 ♡!

@kurby22 what coop flooded? How is the new coop holding out? Weather is coming your way again. Hope coops stay dry and well and all chooks do well 🤞

You guys are about to get your next deluge. Same with us. Hope not too much wind as I am not prepared for big winds. The rain I love. Bring it!
Scraped boards this morning b4 taking dh to the airport and prepped the run when I got home after unloading truck. Leveled out the coop and run scape, added vitamins in the water, added an extra water inside broody coop and moved grit and calcium under the mini coop eaves... think we are good.
Washed pup yesterday eve so he is strictly inside dog, only need to put a sheet on Hombre. My sweetie gets cold in the rain ♡View attachment 3445402
Such a pretty horse!! 😍😍

Wasn’t a flooded coop, was the run I have attached to the Scraps coop I built :-( There’s just no way to make a good bedding setup in that run when it’s on concrete—water has nowhere to go except soaked in everywhere possible. I just needed to get it changed out sooner and more often I guess 😢 I’m also learning that these bobtails are a sensitive bunch…I’m sure due to the double recessive traits that make that beautiful coloring. I sort of try to think of those types of traits from an evolutionary perspective so I don’t get too attached (not great at this!). Recessive traits are generally less common for a reason, and when we breed for them selectively we are likely breeding for other tiny differences in their genes that make them more fragile. 😢 Why they gotta be so beautiful?? 😩

@kurby I thought I mentioned your new babies but reading my post I must have edited it out.

I do want to say congratulations on your new babies. Wishing all dryness and health and happiness! I hope you all enjoy each other ♡♡♡
Thank you! Aria was so very happy. She and I both adore them. They seem to have much more personality than any of my other Cochin varieties. They are all sassy and curious and a bit bossy…but the my blue and splash roos are both standoffish and a bit rude. Whereas both of the bobtail men are very sweet and gentlemanly 😍 We attempted to introduce Wilhelm to the new couple and the new pullet just immediately gave him the “what for”. Poor Wilhelm had a small tear in his wattle and went tearing over to my husband and hid his face screaming his “omg what was that?!!” scream. If he hadn’t been bleeding I would have laughed a lot more at his very dramatic response. Then I felt sad because he lost his girlfriend who made him feel safe 😢 Hoping this pullet comes around! 🥴

I swear Stanley has a death wish! I was giving Ferdy a cuddle as he came and asked nicely. He was thoroughly enjoying his 'naked neck rub' when Stanley decided he wanted some of the action and jumped onto my shoulder. I gave him some attention and resumed playing with Ferdy's wattles. Obviously, that wasn't good enough as far as Stanley was concerned so he started pecking Ferdy's comb! Clearly he did not learn his lesson post fight! It's a good job Ferdy is so tolerant.
I hope Ferdy stays tolerant! 🤣 They sound so cute!
Just dropped dh @ the airport and made my way back. Need to catch up on posts but can yet as we have this looming. View attachment 3445297
Gotta batton down the hatches.

Did want to crow that Lady Ruby was (is) back out with the gang looking pretty normal this morning. Makes my heart happy.
Is that one supposed to follow the same path as the last?
It doesn't hit us hard here but I swear the winds been howling way too much. Maybe I just need to find more indoor pleasures so I notice it less.
Hope it doesn't wreck havoc for you @kurby22 .
How far do you have to walk for that gorgeous view? Just stunning 😍. Love the snack time and can believe your birds all get such a generous helping of bread. What a treat. My birds occasionally get to split 1-2 crusts between them all but not very often poor things. Bread is yummy 😋
Tiny can't help but be handsome for sure ♡
I'm not sure I see a lot of sentinel ing going on with those roos. Looks more like attempted photo bombing.
That's a 5 minute drive and fifteen minute walk if you're feeling lazy. Just walking would take about an hour maybe? Can you tell I take the lazy route? 😂
The breads from my oldest and her boss. They do subway for lunch most days and only eat the filling. She saves the bread and brings it home for the beasties. It's always got sauces, bits of cheese and occasionally a pepper lining it...I don't want to make anyone sick with it so everyone gets a turn...even the tortoise...lol.
Normally when I give treats they all dive right in...Sir Clucks and the other roo have been standing by and letting the hens and babies eat first a lot lately. They stand near instead of rushing the treats. I haven't seen the roos tidbit for the babies though.

Thank you! Aria was so very happy. She and I both adore them. They seem to have much more personality than any of my other Cochin varieties. They are all sassy and curious and a bit bossy…but the my blue and splash roos are both standoffish and a bit rude. Whereas both of the bobtail men are very sweet and gentlemanly 😍 We attempted to introduce Wilhelm to the new couple and the new pullet just immediately gave him the “what for”. Poor Wilhelm had a small tear in his wattle and went tearing over to my husband and hid his face screaming his “omg what was that?!!” scream. If he hadn’t been bleeding I would have laughed a lot more at his very dramatic response. Then I felt sad because he lost his girlfriend who made him feel safe 😢 Hoping this pullet comes around! 🥴
Poor Wilhelm! They sound adorable 😍

Back
Top Bottom